Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Life in Alberta?

Life in Alberta?

Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:11 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life in Alberta?

Well, my husband's job has the possibility for us to be able to live in a few countries. We love our life here in the UK, genuinely love it, but at the same time neither of us can shake th feeling that there's a big wide world out there and tha we should experience life in at least one other country. We have three young children to think of under 7 years though and they come first no matter what - so if the move won't give them something extra they don't have here and at least match everything they do, we won't do it.
We looked at the US seeing as my husband is American but, having lived there before, we don't want to go back. Too religious, too violent, and...Trump. Oh, and health care (or lack of!) We looked at Australia...again, there's the health care issue (but not to the extent of the US), there's the extreme heat and most of all there's the spiders (Google Huntsmen...you'll never sleep again). And we're also looking at Canada. And we like the look of Alberta. We don't need insanely big cities so we don't feel a need to look at say Vancouver like most people would who are relocating...we're looking for a home in a semi rural area on the edge of a good sized city so we can easily get in for everything we want/need, but at the same time have a small amount of land (an acre or two, no more), yet not be completely isolated from people. We like peaceful living, but we like being active, having friends and getting out and about.
So I wondered if anyone could advise of anywhere safe, pretty, and semi rural (maybe just a little ways out from suburbia), with good schools and commutable to Calgary? Is that at all possible or have I just made up a magical, ideal place that doesn't exist? ) Any help would be great!
P.S. When we're talking about winter there...are we talking about NOT LEAVING THE HOUSE FOR MONTHS winter? Or is it bearable? We don't need to wear hats or scarves really in the UK - it's more a fashion accessory than a necessity. All you need is a warm coat really and you're ok. So I know we'll be in for a big shock!

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 16th 2017 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Alberta?

Hi!
My husband and I moved to Calgary at the beginning of January this year. We live in the city because he works at the university and we're just here on a TWP so wanted to be in the city to enjoy all it has to offer- we live right by the university in the NW of Calgary and we both love it. The mountains are just an hour away so it's super easy to get around.
I can't comment on the places to live as we aren't looking to buy here. But I can comment on the weather.
When we arrived it was -30 degrees and I'd never experienced anything like it before. We're from the North East of England and pretty much lived under a rain cloud for most of our lives. And I have to say- I found and continue to find the UK's weather a lot more unbearable than here.

So- when it's -30 you need to wrap up! Anywhere exposed is a stupid idea- you need a thick coat, gloves (ideally mittens), a hat, scarf or decent buff and decent footwear. Not just a fashion accessory here. But to be honest under those things I was just wearing my usual jeans and t-shirt type stuff.
The snow when we arrived was almost 2 foot deep in parts so snowboots are helpful assuming you still want to go outside.
The weather didn't stop us going outside. We just had to think sensible, wrap up and consider places to stop to warm up! What's funny is everyone will go outside wrapped up as I've said but in jeans on the lower half. It's pretty funny- and you find yourself doing the same thing. The difference with the cold in Calgary is there's absolutely no humidity. So in the winter the cold is a lot more bearable than back in the Uk. (In my opinion!) I was colder in the UK on the coast at zero degrees than I was here at -30. The humidity makes all the difference because it doesn't seem to seep in here and freeze you from the inside. You're not damp. So yeah your skin is cold but if you cover it up it's all good. Not so nice when the snot inside your nose freezes- or as I experienced- my eyelashes froze together because of the vapour from my breath. Interesting experience but easy to fix.
It doesn't seem to stop anyone from doing anything though. Especially not so close to the mountains. You have plenty skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing, ice skating etc etc to keep you occupied.
In Calgary you also get the chinook winds. So it can be -30 one day and +5 the next. All the snow will begin to melt. Then it will snow all over again and the pattern continues. We didn't have any issues with getting around in the snow or the cold. We found paths and roads well maintained enough as well. And Calgary has the benefit of most of the shopping being in malls- downtown you can walk for miles through the +15's so you don't need to go outside at all once you're in. It helps!
Also- despite the cold and snow- Calgary is super sunny!!! As I said where I was from- I've never seen so much sunshine for such a prolonged length of time. Even mid-winter. It's fantastic.

Almost into summer now and for the past few weeks the weather has been glorious. Almost hitting +30 degrees on plenty of days- I've been sunburnt a lot- and the Mosquitos are about to head out in force (I've also got a fair few bites- inc a huge one on my arm this morning!!!) but weather wise I'm loving it. - obviously I can only speak for what's happening this year and my comparison is the north east coast of England so it's pretty easy to improve upon! Haha

Hope that helps a bit- sorry I can't help with the house conundrum. But in terms of activities around you will certainly have plenty options. It's a very outdoorsy place. Everyone I've gotten to know here at pretty active all throughout the year. Wildlife here is awesome too.

Good luck!! :-)
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I live on 20 acres 15 mins south of Calgary city limits.

We used to live in the city and I would have no issues recommending the city to anyone.

The economy in Calgary is not as good as it was when I moved here in 2007 but there are still lots of well paid jobs available in Calgary.

The issues that some immigrants appear to face in other areas of Canada (needing Canadian work experience, for example) don't appear to be an issue here and people will simply take you as they find you.

I used to ski, rock climb, ice climb and kayak in the Rockies but I haven't done so for the last few years due to other commitments.

I suggest that you are likely to find what you are looking for in Calgary and its surrounds.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:00 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Hi!
My husband and I moved to Calgary at the beginning of January this year. We live in the city because he works at the university and we're just here on a TWP so wanted to be in the city to enjoy all it has to offer- we live right by the university in the NW of Calgary and we both love it. The mountains are just an hour away so it's super easy to get around.
I can't comment on the places to live as we aren't looking to buy here. But I can comment on the weather.
When we arrived it was -30 degrees and I'd never experienced anything like it before. We're from the North East of England and pretty much lived under a rain cloud for most of our lives. And I have to say- I found and continue to find the UK's weather a lot more unbearable than here.

So- when it's -30 you need to wrap up! Anywhere exposed is a stupid idea- you need a thick coat, gloves (ideally mittens), a hat, scarf or decent buff and decent footwear. Not just a fashion accessory here. But to be honest under those things I was just wearing my usual jeans and t-shirt type stuff.
The snow when we arrived was almost 2 foot deep in parts so snowboots are helpful assuming you still want to go outside.
The weather didn't stop us going outside. We just had to think sensible, wrap up and consider places to stop to warm up! What's funny is everyone will go outside wrapped up as I've said but in jeans on the lower half. It's pretty funny- and you find yourself doing the same thing. The difference with the cold in Calgary is there's absolutely no humidity. So in the winter the cold is a lot more bearable than back in the Uk. (In my opinion!) I was colder in the UK on the coast at zero degrees than I was here at -30. The humidity makes all the difference because it doesn't seem to seep in here and freeze you from the inside. You're not damp. So yeah your skin is cold but if you cover it up it's all good. Not so nice when the snot inside your nose freezes- or as I experienced- my eyelashes froze together because of the vapour from my breath. Interesting experience but easy to fix.
It doesn't seem to stop anyone from doing anything though. Especially not so close to the mountains. You have plenty skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing, ice skating etc etc to keep you occupied.
In Calgary you also get the chinook winds. So it can be -30 one day and +5 the next. All the snow will begin to melt. Then it will snow all over again and the pattern continues. We didn't have any issues with getting around in the snow or the cold. We found paths and roads well maintained enough as well. And Calgary has the benefit of most of the shopping being in malls- downtown you can walk for miles through the +15's so you don't need to go outside at all once you're in. It helps!
Also- despite the cold and snow- Calgary is super sunny!!! As I said where I was from- I've never seen so much sunshine for such a prolonged length of time. Even mid-winter. It's fantastic.

Almost into summer now and for the past few weeks the weather has been glorious. Almost hitting +30 degrees on plenty of days- I've been sunburnt a lot- and the Mosquitos are about to head out in force (I've also got a fair few bites- inc a huge one on my arm this morning!!!) but weather wise I'm loving it. - obviously I can only speak for what's happening this year and my comparison is the north east coast of England so it's pretty easy to improve upon! Haha

Hope that helps a bit- sorry I can't help with the house conundrum. But in terms of activities around you will certainly have plenty options. It's a very outdoorsy place. Everyone I've gotten to know here at pretty active all throughout the year. Wildlife here is awesome too.

Good luck!! :-)
Thank you so much!!! That's so helpful! So you'd say you really like it there? Would you consider staying permanently or do you want to return to the UK? I always find it interesting why people want to stay/leave when they relocate. I have to say Canada seems to have everything we're looking for (minus a lot of warm weather but like you said, and I have read, there's lots of sunshine even if it's cold and I think that makes a big difference). How do you find it safety wise? Especially living in the city. Do you feel particularly safe? Are there places you wouldn't go? Thank you so much again!!!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I live on 20 acres 15 mins south of Calgary city limits.

We used to live in the city and I would have no issues recommending the city to anyone.

The economy in Calgary is not as good as it was when I moved here in 2007 but there are still lots of well paid jobs available in Calgary.

The issues that some immigrants appear to face in other areas of Canada (needing Canadian work experience, for example) don't appear to be an issue here and people will simply take you as they find you.

I used to ski, rock climb, ice climb and kayak in the Rockies but I haven't done so for the last few years due to other commitments.

I suggest that you are likely to find what you are looking for in Calgary and its surrounds.
That sounds amazing! Thank you! May I ask where you live and if there are other places you can recommend where we can have a little land but still get in to Calgary easily? My husband's job would mean he'd be heavily based in Calgary but he's used to driving as his work depends on it so we'd happily live within an hour of Calgary. I've been looking online but everything I've found so far seems to be typical suburbia if within an hour of Calgary or else it's fairly far out but with land. One of our primary goals with a move is to have a small amount of land (doesn't matter if it's a lot but it comes down to budget which would be under $520,000) and I really want to stick to the land idea as I want our little boys to have room to just run and play. Where we live in the uk we have so much for them to do so close to where we live...beaches, forests, cities (4 within 30 minutes to any one), so I would rather have land close to Calgary and have them be free to run and explore than a typical suburban home with a small yard and the same distance from Calgary (if that makes sense). Any help would be greatly welcomed! Thank you!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
Thank you so much!!! That's so helpful! So you'd say you really like it there? Would you consider staying permanently or do you want to return to the UK? I always find it interesting why people want to stay/leave when they relocate. I have to say Canada seems to have everything we're looking for (minus a lot of warm weather but like you said, and I have read, there's lots of sunshine even if it's cold and I think that makes a big difference). How do you find it safety wise? Especially living in the city. Do you feel particularly safe? Are there places you wouldn't go? Thank you so much again!!!
I love it here! We didn't know what to expect. Not really. We came with an open mind.
With my husband being a climate change researcher we literally have to go where the funding is. After his PhD I always liked the idea of Canada and a position came up here so we grabbed it. We had nothing to lose leaving the UK. We didn't particularly like it there. I wasn't attached at all and don't intend to return if I can help it. Husband's only attachments were his friends/family and surfing. So while we're certainly far far away from that but he also loves mountain biking (a lot of that here!!) and just being outdoors. He said if there was surf here he'd probably happily stay if the funding remained available.
I feel like the sea is in my bones too- so while I could happily see myself here for a good many years I don't think I want to live here forever just for that alone- and there's lots of other places I want to go too.
I'm 29, husband is 30, we don't have or want kids so nowhere near ready to settle down. However- if I was, I could in all honesty do it here.

I feel safe. While you see things on the news like anywhere, I feel safer here, particularly at night than I did back in Newcastle. I would never have walked around Newcastle at night on my own. Here it doesn't really bother me. Though there are areas of the city you hear about as being more "rough" areas but I personally have never needed to go to those areas and I guess every city has rough areas.

I like the vibe of the city. I feel like there's plenty to do. Eating out is a lot cheaper than in the UK. As are things like clothes etc. (The 5% tax helps as apposed to the UK's 20%!). Getting around the city in public transit is easy enough and again- much cheaper than what I was once used to.

I find everyone is really friendly and helpful. Despite Alberta being the most "conservative", I'd actually go out on a limb to say it's still way more liberal than the UK. Though- cities are often that way. It's probably completely different in a mega rural community but I've never been to any where I've spoken to people about their views. Haha

I love how warm it is in the summer and how sunny it is all the time. I enjoy there being a huge selection of things to do on my doorstep. The city really caters for getting people outside- the cycle paths around the city impressed me hugely!! I quickly bought a bike and cycle a lot now because I feel safe! Decent cycle paths don't really exist in Newcastle and pedestrians don't know how they work anyway- they do here!

In general I feel like the place is pretty clean as well.

I mean- everywhere has its negatives! I could list downsides as well- but in my personal opinion of how my life is here, it's an improvement on my life in the UK and I find that the positives outway the negative here.

Other people will likely have different opinions but there we go.

:-) I like it here and my husband likes it here!!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:49 pm
Banned

I love it here! We didn't know what to expect. Not really. We came with an open mind.
With my husband being a climate change researcher we literally have to go where the funding is. After his PhD I always liked the idea of Canada and a position came up here so we grabbed it. We had nothing to lose leaving the UK. We didn't particularly like it there. I wasn't attached at all and don't intend to return if I can help it. Husband's only attachments were his friends/family and surfing. So while we're certainly far far away from that but he also loves mountain biking (a lot of that here!!) and just being outdoors. He said if there was surf here he'd probably happily stay if the funding remained available.
I feel like the sea is in my bones too- so while I could happily see myself here for a good many years I don't think I want to live here forever just for that alone- and there's lots of other places I want to go too.
I'm 29, husband is 30, we don't have or want kids so nowhere near ready to settle down. However- if I was, I could in all honesty do it here.

I feel safe. While you see things on the news like anywhere, I feel safer here, particularly at night than I did back in Newcastle. I would never have walked around Newcastle at night on my own. Here it doesn't really bother me. Though there are areas of the city you hear about as being more "rough" areas but I personally have never needed to go to those areas and I guess every city has rough areas.

I like the vibe of the city. I feel like there's plenty to do. Eating out is a lot cheaper than in the UK. As are things like clothes etc. (The 5% tax helps as apposed to the UK's 20%!). Getting around the city in public transit is easy enough and again- much cheaper than what I was once used to.

I find everyone is really friendly and helpful. Despite Alberta being the most "conservative", I'd actually go out on a limb to say it's still way more liberal than the UK. Though- cities are often that way. It's probably completely different in a mega rural community but I've never been to any where I've spoken to people about their views. Haha

I love how warm it is in the summer and how sunny it is all the time. I enjoy there being a huge selection of things to do on my doorstep. The city really caters for getting people outside- the cycle paths around the city impressed me hugely!! I quickly bought a bike and cycle a lot now because I feel safe! Decent cycle paths don't really exist in Newcastle and pedestrians don't know how they work anyway- they do here!

In general I feel like the place is pretty clean as well.

I mean- everywhere has its negatives! I could list downsides as well- but in my personal opinion of how my life is here, it's an improvement on my life in the UK and I find that the positives outway the negative here.

Other people will likely have different opinions but there we go.

:-) I like it here and my husband likes it here!!

That sounds fantastic...I must keep in touch with you! I do love where we live - we live in Southampton (15 minutes out on the very edge of the country...literally 5 minutes away it's all fields and continues like that for miles. We are right between Portsmouth, Winchester and Bournemouth so we have beautiful beaches, historic cities and the new forest. And I love it here. But as mentioned earlier, I just have this niggling feeling inside of me that the world is so big and we should experience somewhere else. My husband is American and works for a global health care company (they also work in oil, environmental sector and electrical and as he is in sales he could transfer to another sector and they encourage transfers abroad). So we are in a position, should he be accepted for a transfer, to be able to move. We've done America (pre-children) and sadly it's not somewhere we want our little ones growing up. My eldest goes off to school now and the only thought is that he has a fun day. To imagine him going to school in America and doing drills each week where he has to hide in case a gunman comes in fills me with absolute fear. I couldn't live like that. I always thought if America and the UK could be combined then it would be incredible...and I'm pretty sure Canada is that combination or as close to it as you could get. If my husband was excepted for a transfer and we could find a home within an hour (preferably 40 minutes) of Calgary that was under $520,000 with an acre or more then I'm 99.9% certain we'd jump at the chance. I would miss my dad massively. I can't even sensibly think of life without him. My mum died some years ago and all my husband's family are in America. My dad is a very sensible person and has always said we have to put our family first (as in my husband and I and the children), so while I know he'd miss us we'd have his blessing. I just want a house big enough for them to play freely, land big enough for them to run and explore, "some" neighbours close enough that we may make local friends and the city close enough that we can have everything we need within about 40 minutes. It's a lot to ask but I'm sure it's possible. I'm 38 this year, (18 in my head and about 32ish looks wise so I like to average it out to an imaginary 30) and I have to say what an incredible experience you've managed to have pre-children. We did move to Texas when I was 23/24 (it's too late at night to work out which now) but had to return 9 months later when my mum became terminally ill. I'm glad to have had the experience though, (Texas is certainly an experience), as I love to have random chapters in my life. I'd really love Canada to be one of them, (well, a number of them), if possible
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Cochrane to the north west of the city, or Okotoks area to the south?

However, I do not think a couple of acres of land near Cochrane will come in at your budget - you're talking $800+ for an acreage.

But here's the thing - I don't see the point in two acres.

If you want animals, hobby farm or have major plans for the land, buy more, and go further out. If you just want a space for the kids to run around, buy a regular house near walking paths and parks. It's going to be covered in snow, or be a colourless dead patch from November to April. And two acres is not enough to do much with except spend every weekend mowing.

I came here house hunting for the biggest garden I could find. It was still a suburban patch but backs onto a park. The kids didn't play in it much after all that - they played in the park with friends, wandered all over the very safe neighbourhood and it was a good spot for a trampoline for a few years. Now they are older, I'm left to weed and cut my patch.

Other than that, we really like living here, you get used to the winters which are long, sunny and occasionally have a brutal week here and there but nothing stops.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ann m

However, I do not think a couple of acres of land near Cochrane will come in at your budget - you're talking $800+ for an acreage.

If you want animals, hobby farm or have major plans for the land, buy more, and go further out. If you just want a space for the kids to run around, buy a regular house near walking paths and parks. It's going to be covered in snow, or be a colourless dead patch from November to April. And two acres is not enough to do much with except spend every weekend mowing.

I came here house hunting for the biggest garden I could find. It was still a suburban patch but backs onto a park. The kids didn't play in it much after all that - they played in the park with friends, wandered all over the very safe neighbourhood and it was a good spot for a trampoline for a few years. Now they are older, I'm left to weed and cut my patch.

Other than that, we really like living here, you get used to the winters which are long, sunny and occasionally have a brutal week here and there but nothing stops.

Funnily enough I've been looking at Okotoks tonight (obviously found nothing in our price range)😊 We need to be within an hour of Calgary at most because of my husband's job, (he'd be Calgary based if we move as he works out of hospitals so needs to be where the biggest density of them is). A hobby farm has always been my dream though. But, and as you highlighted, finding one for under $520,000 within an hour of Calgary could be tough! If we could just find a few acres of nothingness but a house and create a hobby farm we'd be happy. I fear it would be one of those rarities though that when you find one there's not a job position at the same time...and when there is a job position there's not the house you're looking for. I can live in hope though right? If you can think of anywhere that may suit please say! The more information the better!😊
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

That sounds fantastic...I must keep in touch with you! I do love where we live - we live in Southampton (15 minutes out on the very edge of the country...literally 5 minutes away it's all fields and continues like that for miles. We are right between Portsmouth, Winchester and Bournemouth so we have beautiful beaches, historic cities and the new forest. And I love it here. But as mentioned earlier, I just have this niggling feeling inside of me that the world is so big and we should experience somewhere else. My husband is American and works for a global health care company (they also work in oil, environmental sector and electrical and as he is in sales he could transfer to another sector and they encourage transfers abroad). So we are in a position, should he be accepted for a transfer, to be able to move. We've done America (pre-children) and sadly it's not somewhere we want our little ones growing up. My eldest goes off to school now and the only thought is that he has a fun day. To imagine him going to school in America and doing drills each week where he has to hide in case a gunman comes in fills me with absolute fear. I couldn't live like that. I always thought if America and the UK could be combined then it would be incredible...and I'm pretty sure Canada is that combination or as close to it as you could get. If my husband was excepted for a transfer and we could find a home within an hour (preferably 40 minutes) of Calgary that was under $520,000 with an acre or more then I'm 99.9% certain we'd jump at the chance. I would miss my dad massively. I can't even sensibly think of life without him. My mum died some years ago and all my husband's family are in America. My dad is a very sensible person and has always said we have to put our family first (as in my husband and I and the children), so while I know he'd miss us we'd have his blessing. I just want a house big enough for them to play freely, land big enough for them to run and explore, "some" neighbours close enough that we may make local friends and the city close enough that we can have everything we need within about 40 minutes. It's a lot to ask but I'm sure it's possible. I'm 38 this year, (18 in my head and about 32ish looks wise so I like to average it out to an imaginary 30) and I have to say what an incredible experience you've managed to have pre-children. We did move to Texas when I was 23/24 (it's too late at night to work out which now) but had to return 9 months later when my mum became terminally ill. I'm glad to have had the experience though, (Texas is certainly an experience), as I love to have random chapters in my life. I'd really love Canada to be one of them, (well, a number of them), if possible
I think if you have the opportunity to do so you should just take it. You might absolutely love it here. You might not, in which case you move back or go elsewhere. Life is too short to wonder.
My mum always knew I wanted to emigrate- even as a child I never felt completely settled and at 17 bought one way flights to Asia just for an adventure. So I think she accepted that's what I'd be like from pretty early on. My mum suddenly got very ill 2 years ago (a random infection that got into her spine) and by the time we found out we had the opportunity to move to Canada she was completely paralysed and living in a care home with severe brain damage- we moved anyway without giving it a second thought because I knew she'd want us to!- similar to what your dad is saying! 2 months in to us being here and she passed away- and while it was the hardest thing I've ever had to experience, I still had no regrets because as my mum would always say, that's life! You just have to enjoy it all while you can! She was only 55 so, I want to make the most of things as you never know if the same might happen!! And life is suited to enjoying yourself here. I firmly believe being here is helping me come to terms with it all faster. It allows you to get out and enjoy the place. In one direction you have the Rockies and the other you have the prairies- also plenty to explore! What's not to love?!
Friends are using us as a place to come on holiday too as well which is great fun!
I'm definitely one for saying, just go where you fancy at the time and hey- if it doesn't work out, at least you gave it a shot and won't regret not doing it.
I think for kids this is a cool place to live- I'd have enjoyed growing up here that's for sure!! Loads of free (and safe) ice rinks pop up in the winter in the city as well as other places- all you have to do is bring your own skates! And the summer has lots of activities, festivals, perfect weather for being out on your bike and going for picnics. The kids will love the wildlife too! I know I do!
Don't get me wrong- the area where I lived before I couldn't complain at- I was right on the sea front in a beautiful village and had the whole of Northumberland and everything it had to offer right there- I, like you, just knew there were other places to explore.
I don't know if you're ideal place to live exists here or not- but it could be fun finding out! And nothing wrong with the odd compromise here and there.

I hope it all works out for you and your family and I hope to see how you get on!! :-)
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:22 am
Banned

I think if you have the opportunity to do so you should just take it. You might absolutely love it here. You might not, in which case you move back or go elsewhere. Life is too short to wonder.
My mum always knew I wanted to emigrate- even as a child I never felt completely settled and at 17 bought one way flights to Asia just for an adventure. So I think she accepted that's what I'd be like from pretty early on. My mum suddenly got very ill 2 years ago (a random infection that got into her spine) and by the time we found out we had the opportunity to move to Canada she was completely paralysed and living in a care home with severe brain damage- we moved anyway without giving it a second thought because I knew she'd want us to!- similar to what your dad is saying! 2 months in to us being here and she passed away- and while it was the hardest thing I've ever had to experience, I still had no regrets because as my mum would always say, that's life! You just have to enjoy it all while you can! She was only 55 so, I want to make the most of things as you never know if the same might happen!! And life is suited to enjoying yourself here. I firmly believe being here is helping me come to terms with it all faster. It allows you to get out and enjoy the place. In one direction you have the Rockies and the other you have the prairies- also plenty to explore! What's not to love?!
Friends are using us as a place to come on holiday too as well which is great fun!
I'm definitely one for saying, just go where you fancy at the time and hey- if it doesn't work out, at least you gave it a shot and won't regret not doing it.
I think for kids this is a cool place to live- I'd have enjoyed growing up here that's for sure!! Loads of free (and safe) ice rinks pop up in the winter in the city as well as other places- all you have to do is bring your own skates! And the summer has lots of activities, festivals, perfect weather for being out on your bike and going for picnics. The kids will love the wildlife too! I know I do!
Don't get me wrong- the area where I lived before I couldn't complain at- I was right on the sea front in a beautiful village and had the whole of Northumberland and everything it had to offer right there- I, like you, just knew there were other places to explore.
I don't know if you're ideal place to live exists here or not- but it could be fun finding out! And nothing wrong with the odd compromise here and there.

I hope it all works out for you and your family and I hope to see how you get on!! :-)
How strange, we seem quite similar what with our mums and the travelling thing! It was my idea to live in Texas at 23. We decided probably 3 months before we packed up and left and off we went! Growing up we moved A LOT a within the UK (12 times by the time I was 18!) and so on the one hand I've always wanted to be settled and stay put for the children but so far I've just not felt 100% content. We rent at the moment but they're letting us buy if we can get the deposit together and we do love the house...it's also just a 5 minute walk to my little boy's school. And although I want to buy it, my feelings have always been buy it and then rent it out and relocate abroad. After heavily researching the US and Australia I have to say they've been ruled out. Canada was our first choice and we've gone full circle and come back to that. I've just found a house with just under an acre within 40 minutes of Calgary so they're out there, (just might take some digging!)
Can I ask about creepy crawlies out there? Are there many? I expect the winter would do a good job of keeping them under control! And they'll be nothing in comparison to Australia. I knew Australia was bad but until I properly researched I never knew it was actually as bad as it is :-/ Genuinely the stuff nightmares are made of! I guess living in th city in Calgary there wouldn't be much but if you know anything about bugs going further out I'd love to know. I'm a bit fragile when it comes to bugs But again, it's not a deal breaker by any means!!!
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

How strange, we seem quite similar what with our mums and the travelling thing! It was my idea to live in Texas at 23. We decided probably 3 months before we packed up and left and off we went! Growing up we moved A LOT a within the UK (12 times by the time I was 18!) and so on the one hand I've always wanted to be settled and stay put for the children but so far I've just not felt 100% content. We rent at the moment but they're letting us buy if we can get the deposit together and we do love the house...it's also just a 5 minute walk to my little boy's school. And although I want to buy it, my feelings have always been buy it and then rent it out and relocate abroad. After heavily researching the US and Australia I have to say they've been ruled out. Canada was our first choice and we've gone full circle and come back to that. I've just found a house with just under an acre within 40 minutes of Calgary so they're out there, (just might take some digging!)
Can I ask about creepy crawlies out there? Are there many? I expect the winter would do a good job of keeping them under control! And they'll be nothing in comparison to Australia. I knew Australia was bad but until I properly researched I never knew it was actually as bad as it is :-/ Genuinely the stuff nightmares are made of! I guess living in th city in Calgary there wouldn't be much but if you know anything about bugs going further out I'd love to know. I'm a bit fragile when it comes to bugs But again, it's not a deal breaker by any means!!!
It is quite funny! :-) I moved a lot as a kid too so maybe it was that- not getting too attached to a place. Who knows?! Haha one day I think I'd like to settle down but even then I've said only if it means I can still go out and see the world. Haha

In terms of creepy crawlies I have to say they don't really bother me anyway but we haven't come across anything unusual and unexpected.
There's garter snakes in the city along the river in the brush on an evening after a hot day which is nice to see but they're only little and quickly skirt off as soon as they hear you coming- or play dead. That's about the most exotic we've seen. (I realise they're not strictly creepy crawlies but some people who don't like insects also dislike snakes!) haha
We haven't had one spider in our house that I've seen since being here. We have mesh shutters up against our open windows so haven't had anything flying in either.
I see the usual bees, butterflies, mosquitos! But otherwise nothing else.

I was at work the other day and a little spider fell out of a box (about half the size of a UK house spider) and several people leapt back as though a tarantula had just fell out of the box- I laughed and said it was tiny and the comments I got were 'that's big for here!!!' Haha so- maybe the cold winters prevent large things?!
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!! Haha but we haven't seen anything other than the sorts of stuff you get in the UK in the city or in the mountains.
I think ticks can be a problem at certain times of year but again- coming from Northumberland I'm used to that.
I always got eaten by mosquitos in the UK and here seems no different unfortunately. They're my biggest frustration.
We get different kinds of snakes but I think you generally have to go looking for them. Would love to see a prairie rattlesnake but I'm not holding out much luck!!

It's the bears and cougars you have to be more wary of here! Haha
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ann m

Can I just ask if you get many spiders being in a more rural area? I just googled spiders in Calgary (cleverly right before I'm about to go to bed!) and I have to say I never expected to find what came up! I am an arachnophobe unfortunately (HATE spiders with a passion), and while I couldn't let it get in the way of making a new life somewhere for us all, I have to say if there were lots of spiders my life would become a misery :-/ I can handle one maybe 2-3 inch spider a year. That's it! Anything more and I'm a wreck :-/ I saw you had wolf spiders!!! Eeeeek!!! :-/
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:47 am
Banned

It is quite funny! :-) I moved a lot as a kid too so maybe it was that- not getting too attached to a place. Who knows?! Haha one day I think I'd like to settle down but even then I've said only if it means I can still go out and see the world. Haha

In terms of creepy crawlies I have to say they don't really bother me anyway but we haven't come across anything unusual and unexpected.
There's garter snakes in the city along the river in the brush on an evening after a hot day which is nice to see but they're only little and quickly skirt off as soon as they hear you coming- or play dead. That's about the most exotic we've seen. (I realise they're not strictly creepy crawlies but some people who don't like insects also dislike snakes!) haha
We haven't had one spider in our house that I've seen since being here. We have mesh shutters up against our open windows so haven't had anything flying in either.
I see the usual bees, butterflies, mosquitos! But otherwise nothing else.

I was at work the other day and a little spider fell out of a box (about half the size of a UK house spider) and several people leapt back as though a tarantula had just fell out of the box- I laughed and said it was tiny and the comments I got were 'that's big for here!!!' Haha so- maybe the cold winters prevent large things?!
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!! Haha but we haven't seen anything other than the sorts of stuff you get in the UK in the city or in the mountains.
I think ticks can be a problem at certain times of year but again- coming from Northumberland I'm used to that.
I always got eaten by mosquitos in the UK and here seems no different unfortunately. They're my biggest frustration.
We get different kinds of snakes but I think you generally have to go looking for them. Would love to see a prairie rattlesnake but I'm not holding out much luck!!

It's the bears and cougars you have to be more wary of here! Haha
Well that does put my mind at ease although i was originally holding out for a house in a semi-rural setting but if that means big spiders I may have to think again! Strangely snakes don't bother me. I just can't handle spiders :-/ but you have put my mind at risk as at least if they are common in rural areas I've now at least got the option of suburban/city life to escape them! I'm off to bed now and I'm sure I'll think of plenty more questions as I drift off to sleep that I may ask tomorrow if you don't mind If you think of anything else at all please feel free to share! Literally anything to do with relocating and life there. It's all a huge help! Thank you so much so far!!!
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:58 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I may have missed it and if so I apologise but have you actually been to Canada ABD? It is always wise to visit an area to see whether it ticks your boxes or not- maybe visit a few
potential target cities/towns, maybe not just in AB. Forget the Okanagan though if you aren't keen on snakes or spiders as we do get the odd Black Widow and Rattlesnakes

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 17th 2017 at 1:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.