Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

I think it a good idea to emphasize an important difference between a direct debit in the UK and a pre-authorized debit in Canada.

UK banks give a blanket undertaking to stop a direct debit on your instructions. Canadian banks do not. They take the view that if you authorize a company to debit amounts to an account it is up to you to get the company to stop.

I am very reluctant to authorize anyone to take money from my bank account. I like to be in control of my spending. If a company insists on a pre-authorized mandate I prefer to use a credit card. If they want to play games let them do it with the bank's money.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is such an Act applicable in the UK though?
The contract was entered into in BC though. How enforceable it is, how much effort the company want to go to etc. is another issue.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:24 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Just up and go.

Stop the payment and leave no forwarding address.

I had around 10 unpaid parking tickets in Toronto and a dodgey immigration lawyer who did no work wanting cash from me.

I came back 4 years later and all mysteriously dissapeared with no issues or repercussions what so ever. I expected a huge bill when I renewed my driving license and there was nothing.

I do wonder what happens if people go with no forwarding address . . . I assume if they come back with new details they dont put 2 and 2 together , , , ,, BUt does the OP want to be in that position if she does come back

Originally Posted by Aviator
Collections agencies can do bugger all really. They can try and hound you, but as soon as you tell them to stop calling to deal with you in writing, they are legally bound to do so under the Business Practices and consumer Protection Act of BC Part 7. If the amount is small they won't even bother doing anything about it. I had a dispute with a courier, they sent it to collections, I told collections to take me to court and never heard another word.

This act also covers contractual obligations and protection for the consumer, Part 4.

Cutting off payments on a debt one acknowledges one owes does not speak well of the individual who does it.

I have no idea why the OP is getting so bent out of shape over a one month subscription on a contract that they voluntarily entered into. They probably spent more time on here posting the thread than it would have taken to provide proof of leaving the country.

Ours do it by collections agent letter or if its a big amount a lawyer - I just know I have seen people coming in with formal letters and saying oooh I better pay now !

Yup - really for 1 month - the gym fees here arent that extortianant (sp??)!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Ours do it by collections agent letter or if its a big amount a lawyer - I just know I have seen people coming in with formal letters and saying oooh I better pay now !

Yup - really for 1 month - the gym fees here arent that extortianant (sp??)!
Collections can work in some instances, for those who don't know how ineffective they are. We just go to small claims for our collections, once it hits 180 days, that works a treat Lawyers cost too much.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone.

For those who may have misunderstood. I have fulfilled my contractual agreement (they require 10 days notice and I gave 2 months) I HAVE provided proof I am leaving the country as required by my contract and it has been accepted by the gym management and there is nothing in the contract that says the GYM can dictate when I leave! This is pure greed on their part.

My Gym membership is a lot of money that I can do without spending when I am not even going to use the facilities! Its just the principle of the matter.

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:05 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezza708
Thanks for the replies everyone.

For those who may have misunderstood. I have fulfilled my contractual agreement (they require 10 days notice and I gave 2 months) I HAVE provided proof I am leaving the country as required by my contract and it has been accepted by the gym management and there is nothing in the contract that says the GYM can dictate when I leave! This is pure greed on their part.

My Gym membership is a lot of money that I can do without spending when I am not even going to use the facilities! Its just the principle of the matter.

Have you completed the initial contract time - ie a year / 2 years, or was it a month to month
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

It was a two year contract and I have only completed a year.

It states that if you need to cancel before the two years you just have to provide proof you are leaving the area/country and give 10 days notice. That's all it says.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 12:10 am

It was a two year contract and I have only completed a year.

It states that if you need to cancel before the two years you just have to provide proof you are leaving the area/country and give 10 days notice. That's all it says.
In which case the contract would terminate when you leave the area, quite simple really.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Yep that's what I read from it as well which is why I am surprised they wont cancel until I have left the country!

Thankfully its a credit card authorized payment. I wouldn't give them my debit account details so right now just feel like cancelling the credit card as I wont need it anyway!

Must be they want the money or they think I am a stupid english female who cant stand on her own two feet. Well after 10 years in the British Army I don't really appreciate that kind of attitude and I certainly am not a pushover.

That's why I am so up in arms about this its just the principle of the matter you know! Money is money whatever its just the principle that bugs me!

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:05 am
half a century

So the only thing I can see Is that they should cancel from the date you are leaving the country, they may possibly be saying April to coincide with payment dates as often when you join you don't pay until the next month, hence you pay a month after you quit too!

Which gym company is it?
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Oh its not a company its a small neighbourhood gym.

I pay at the beginning of the month for that month so should be no reason really but they can be very strange over here ha!.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:43 am
half a century

Oh its not a company its a small neighbourhood gym.

I pay at the beginning of the month for that month so should be no reason really but they can be very strange over here ha!.
Indeed - a law unto themselves sometimes!