Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question re gym membership in BC.

I am due to leave Canada in March and gave a months notice for my Gym (actually two months out of respect only). Part of contract says I have to provide proof that I am leaving the area before membership can be cancelled which I have done but now the Gym are saying they wont cancel my membership until April (after I leave at the end of March) when I have specifically requested end of February.

Obviously I am going to be far to busy in March with shipping, packing, last minute visits etc etc that comes with moving from both the area and in fact the Country!

Can anyone advise how I can handle this? I dont just want to cancel the direct debit as its quite an aggresive move but do not understand how they can do this. It does not state on my contract that the membership ends the month I leave the Area it just says provide a months notice and proof which I have done!

Hope someone can help. Leaving the Country is stressful enough without this as well.

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:10 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the Country: problems ending gym membership anyone help?

Originally Posted by kezza708
Hi Everyone,

I am due to leave Canada in March and gave a months notice for my Gym (actually two months out of respect only). Part of contract says I have to provide proof that I am leaving the area before membership can be cancelled which I have done but now the Gym are saying they wont cancel my membership until April (after I leave at the end of March) when I have specifically requested end of February.

Obviously I am going to be far to busy in March with shipping, packing, last minute visits etc etc that comes with moving from both the area and in fact the Country!

Can anyone advise how I can handle this? I dont just want to cancel the direct debit as its quite an aggresive move but do not understand how they can do this. It does not state on my contract that the membership ends the month I leave the Area it just says provide a months notice and proof which I have done!

Hope someone can help. Leaving the Country is stressful enough without this as well.

Thanks
Call your bank, give them the details and stop payment ...don't stress about it too much hun, if the shoe was on the other foot they'd dump you in a heart beat. You gave them the notice you needed to give, don't let them force you to pay when you can't possible used the service. Hopefully someone in the bank will sort this out for you quickly and as painlessly as possible. Good luck with your move ..xx
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Stop trying to be a Canadian and being nice. You approached them and told them of your situation but they elected not to act in good faith. I would cancel, what are they going to do chase after you in the UK or wherever.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:22 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you even have to give proof you're leaving the area? What business is it of theirs? Give the notice required in the contract and then just stop paying.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely talk to your bank to see what they can do. They will probably be able to stop payments for one or two months but the onus is on the OP to get the gym to stop initiating the the pre authorized debits. Gyms have a very bad reputation of being difficult.

Closing the bank account will work. but if the OP needs to keep it open she will have her work cut out.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Unless you are in for a years contract, maybe that is why they are insisting on April? I had same prob when we left UK with SKY, the morons...I also gave 60 days notice, even tho 30 was all required, they decided that my 60 day notice was not applicable and tried to charge me for time after leaving country. So called them said you can't get blood from a stone and bank acct will be closed (it isn't) I paid the notice period but not a penny more! Cancelled the DD and called them and told them what I did and if they wanted to chase me to Canada well glory be to them....
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

fireranger4 is an unknown quantity at this point

im also having the same problem with talk talk in the uk atm

nitemaresssssssssssss

dont ever go with them btw
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:53 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming the gym membership is a contract for x number of years that does have a provision to allow cancelling if you are leaving the area and there is no gym within the same chain you can transfer your membership to. Essentially it is a special case in which you are allowed to break your contract. Obviously they need to make sure that people trying to use this clause are genuine - hence the request for proof. If this is correct it seems reasonable that you are able to cancel it from the day you prove you are leaving.

I had this when I left the UK. I had a membership for 3 years I think, which had included some sort of promo when I signed up. I cancelled 1 year in with an air ticket as proof of date. Actually seemed reasonable to me.

If I am wrong and there is a general one month rule then this is irrelevant.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
A contract has specific terms and if they are adhering to those there is not much you can do. How much are we talking about for a month, why get your knickers in a knot over a month. If the gym has a valid contract you are SOL. That's the burden of signing a contract, you agreed to the terms as did the they. Your personal circumstances are of no concern to them, at least they are agreeing to cancel it in April.

Canceling a direct debit might not work either if they provide a copy of the contract and your written agreement to pay the direct debit.

Send them a written notice of the date you are leaving, provide proof once you have left.

You could also watch this to make you feel better http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/biggymripoff/
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:56 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you have signed a contract and wish to leave it before it has expired?

If so, gym memberships either have a buy out (ours is either 99 pl tax or 240 pl tax depending on length of contract and when u want to leave)

Or if you prove you are moving over x km from any of their clubs (ours is 30) you can get out free- BUT if you show paperwork indicating you are leaving at the end of March, that's when they will honor it till, not before.

Also if you just stop the payments it won't cancel the membership but put you in arears and then they send it out to debt collectors.

Which gym?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 6:06 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Just stop the direct debit. There's nothing they can do, and you shouldnt worry about it again.

Ignore all the talk about contracts etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Just stop the direct debit. There's nothing they can do, and you shouldnt worry about it again.

Ignore all the talk about contracts etc.
I'd like the legal authority for that please!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Just up and go.

Stop the payment and leave no forwarding address.

I had around 10 unpaid parking tickets in Toronto and a dodgey immigration lawyer who did no work wanting cash from me.

I came back 4 years later and all mysteriously dissapeared with no issues or repercussions what so ever. I expected a huge bill when I renewed my driving license and there was nothing.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 2nd 2012 at 2:53 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Also if you just stop the payments it won't cancel the membership but put you in arears and then they send it out to debt collectors.
Collections agencies can do bugger all really. They can try and hound you, but as soon as you tell them to stop calling to deal with you in writing, they are legally bound to do so under the Business Practices and consumer Protection Act of BC Part 7. If the amount is small they won't even bother doing anything about it. I had a dispute with a courier, they sent it to collections, I told collections to take me to court and never heard another word.

This act also covers contractual obligations and protection for the consumer, Part 4.

Cutting off payments on a debt one acknowledges one owes does not speak well of the individual who does it.

I have no idea why the OP is getting so bent out of shape over a one month subscription on a contract that they voluntarily entered into. They probably spent more time on here posting the thread than it would have taken to provide proof of leaving the country.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Collections agencies can do bugger all really. They can try and hound you, but as soon as you tell them to stop calling to deal with you in writing, they are legally bound to do so under the Business Practices and consumer Protection Act of BC Part 7. If the amount is small they won't even bother doing anything about it. I had a dispute with a courier, they sent it to collections, I told collections to take me to court and never heard another word.

This act also covers contractual obligations and protection for the consumer, Part 4.

Cutting off payments on a debt one acknowledges one owes does not speak well of the individual who does it.

I have no idea why the OP is getting so bent out of shape over a one month subscription on a contract that they voluntarily entered into. They probably spent more time on here posting the thread than it would have taken to provide proof of leaving the country.
Is such an Act applicable in the UK though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.