Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last minute wobbles

Last minute wobbles

Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

dalaney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last minute wobbles

Ok we now about 5 weeks from moving to Calgary and starting to get major wobbles.
Seem to have periods of can't wait to days of OMG
Lots of doubts keep creeping into my head, are we doing the right thing, are we throwing money away, will I get work, what if i hate it etc etc.

I know I'm never going to know until I try it for myself but would love to hear other peoples stories, how did you feel at this point, would you still have done it knowing what you know now?

thanks in advance
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

westewoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Last minute wobbles

good luck with whatever you decide. i am in the same boat, but i fly out this friday, while my wife and son stay in the uk
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:22 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dalaney
Ok we now about 5 weeks from moving to Calgary and starting to get major wobbles.
Lots of doubts keep creeping into my head, are we doing the right thing, are we throwing money away, will I get work, what if i hate it etc etc.

I know I'm never going to know until I try it for myself but would love to hear other peoples stories, how did you feel at this point, would you still have done it knowing what you know now?

thanks in advance
At that point I was changing my mind (and underwear) every five minutes.
Knowing what I know now I would have done it yes, best move I could have made.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by westewoo
good luck with whatever you decide. i am in the same boat, but i fly out this friday, while my wife and son stay in the uk
Tough for you leaving your family, will they be coming out soon?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
At that point I was changing my mind (and underwear) every five minutes.

Like it
Knowing what I know now I would have done it yes, best move I could have made.
Thanks for that Butch Cassidy
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

thanks in advance
Trust me, It will be the best thing that will happen to you. Remember if doesn't work out for you in AB, There is always other provinces. Like BC, You will love Vancouver. Saskatchewan is crying out for skilled workers.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by westewoo
hey westewoo,

from us down the road, we wish you the very best of luck

you'll soon be re-united with family you'll see

goodluck
kae
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:58 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

omg, i cried all the way across the atlantic....i was absolutley fine, with wobbles like you, until i got on the plane and thought 'what the hell are we doing'........

all i can say to you is yep! it's hard at times, yep! you're still going to wonder what the hell you've done.......BUT, we've been here for just 9 weeks now and if somebody said to me today 'okay, i've got you return tickets for tonight to go back to the uk', i'd tell them that they are bonkers and to 'go away'......

i think as long as you regognise that it's going to be tough at times, different yes (same language - completly different culture) but mostly 'what an adventure and wow! this is so fantastic' then you'll be okay......

we've had major wobbles with both our kids (16 and 18) but no way would they move back and no way would i.....

good luck hunny, you'll be fine, you'll all be fine and seriously, what's the worst thing that can happen?????

good luck and as a final thing....my brother and family moved to calgary over 14 years ago; would they go back; no way.....loves it......
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

ewww!! I have another 11 months yet and up to now was soooo excited. Now I keep thinking, this is my last easter, it will be my last birthday, christmas etc. I find myself (now the warm light nights are here) looking admirably at the rolling hills, seeing all our friends sitting outside the pub having a laugh....doing the "British thing"

I never thought I would be in this position.....but, my mind id made up and will still go.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Trust me, It will be the best thing that will happen to you. Remember if doesn't work out for you in AB, There is always other provinces. Like BC, You will love Vancouver. Saskatchewan is crying out for skilled workers.

Sorry the door to SK is closed
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

jeaniebean is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks in advance
Hi Delaney......OMG! I understand where you are coming from BIG TIME, we came over here on Sept 07 and it's been mega challenging since day 1....BUT....we went back 'home' for 3 months recently as we were having serious second thoughts about settling in Calgary etc etc etc...only to discover that - taking everhting into consideration we had made the right move and the 'time-out' also helped us remember why we started this whole process in the first place...so please when you come over......remain focussed on your long term goal....it may save you the heartache and upheaval we put ourselves through!

so all the very best when you come to this wonderful city!

and hey! you have the support of all the experiences of peeps on this FAB site!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Moving to Canada has been a roller coaster for me. I'll spare the details, but 4 years later i can honestly say I dont think I would ever move back now.

Sure there were times when I wanted to pack it all in and go home, its not always easy but stick with it and in the end you will most likely see that you made the right choice.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:36 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

We are hopefully moving out in July (work permits permitting) and I am swinging like a pendulum all the time. I've now got to the point where I think I'm in denial - oh we won't get the work permits and have even started looking at rental houses round here (house in the process of being sold).

I had a little tear or two tonight when my youngest was on the phone to her friends saying that she will call them every night and that they can all continue playing computer games together as she obviously hasn't realised there is a time difference, she thinks because they call each other now after school whilst playing on some kiddie website that they will still do exactly the same thing. The kids are actually really positive about the move (at the moment) and I am forever saying to them "if we move not when we move" it is really difficult for them to get their heads around that it isn't a done deal.

Saying that because we may not have our work permits for a few weeks yet a big part of me thinks that is probably for the best because it means that if we do get a "yes" then I will be so busy packing up here, sorting out the move with the business that I'm hoping I won't have too much time to freak out so I figure I'm getting it all out of the way now.

Masses of good luck with your move, hope it goes well for you.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

we were like that, but trust us it does work out, we are really enjoying it all now, a bit strange at first but all good now

good luck
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess we must have been strange, we had no real worries and after 3 months we had already decided was the best things we had ever done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.