Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last minute wobbles

Last minute wobbles

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Last minute wobbles

im six months out.. ill be travelling on a working holiday visa, my partner and i are both throwing in the towel of two well paying jobs in the finance game... both of us havent completed our degrees and we're probably only coming with enough cash for six months....

sh1t scared but we're ready for an adventure -- we're relatively conservative so this is a major outside of our comfort zone moment.....

i too continually hope/wish/pray we're doing the right thing

Last edited by phat-dave; Apr 22nd 2009 at 1:18 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

hiya there

Well last min wobbles are fine! wow i had loads.

We have been here in Calgary now for 7 weeks and so far so good.

The goodbyes are horrible!! i cried for sometime but now things are getting better. Kids are happy in school, hubby is happy in his new job and i am enjoying all the space to walk my dogs.

Where abouts are you moving too??

Lisa dd
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dalaney
Ok we now about 5 weeks from moving to Calgary and starting to get major wobbles.
Seem to have periods of can't wait to days of OMG
Lots of doubts keep creeping into my head, are we doing the right thing, are we throwing money away, will I get work, what if i hate it etc etc.

I know I'm never going to know until I try it for myself but would love to hear other peoples stories, how did you feel at this point, would you still have done it knowing what you know now?

thanks in advance
These feelings are entirely normal so don't worry! I had trouble before we left the UK in January finalising everything as I just couldn't pick up the phone to cancel things and I couldn't understand why as we had wanted this move to Canada for such a long time.

Both my daughter and I were crying on the plane watching Mamma Mia but once we arrived you kind of flick a switch, and you get all excited again and remember why you embarked on this journey.

Good luck to all those coming to Canada. You'll be fine and these emotions are all part of the journey.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

Hey your so right there!

Where abouts are you???? and how long you been here???

lisa dd

Originally Posted by snow valley
These feelings are entirely normal so don't worry! I had trouble before we left the UK in January finalising everything as I just couldn't pick up the phone to cancel things and I couldn't understand why as we had wanted this move to Canada for such a long time.

Both my daughter and I were crying on the plane watching Mamma Mia but once we arrived you kind of flick a switch, and you get all excited again and remember why you embarked on this journey.

Good luck to all those coming to Canada. You'll be fine and these emotions are all part of the journey.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Wobbling every day here - so you're definitely not alone! My mind changes every 5 mins, not helped by the fact that we still don't know exactly when we're going (intra-company transfer) as hubby's company keep changing their mind about when they need him over there.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

dalaney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for your replies, glad i'm normal (well almost)

and I like that I'm not the only one who has looked at renting a house in the UK. Its like I'l spend 2 days looking at Calgary stuff and then the 3rd reorganising my life in the UK Argh!!

Lisadd, not sure where we will be yet, gonna have a look around for a week or 2 to find out which is the best option for OH work, dont want to have a long commute to downtown.

I like the lake communities in the SE though so will start there I think.
Where abouts are you?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:18 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Completely understand. we leave in 7 weeks, and most days I am fine, others days get teary!, hard situations like seeing my relative in hospital, hopefully on the mend, but knowing unlikely they will be able to come and see us once we move, really hits you in the gut

Family is the hardest thing ever, however I am really trying to remain focused on my family unit now and my kids future and what will be will be.

Good luck, it will be hard, but sure completely worth it in the end
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:27 am
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Completely understand. we leave in 7 weeks, and most days I am fine, others days get teary!, hard situations like seeing my relative in hospital, hopefully on the mend, but knowing unlikely they will be able to come and see us once we move, really hits you in the gut

Family is the hardest thing ever, however I am really trying to remain focused on my family unit now and my kids future and what will be will be.

You could be me, this is exactly how I feel, just you have put it down perfectly.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:33 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming

When we left I was so incredibly happy. I couldnt of cared about anything, i just wanted to get away from England. Only time it hit me was sitting on the plane at Gatwick and looking out the window. But then the rather large lady next to us started to puke again and it took my mind off it. All the way to Calgary she Wallace and Grommited.

Dont worry about it all of you. Just enjoy the adventure. England isnt going anywhere and you can always move back. We did, and then on again. Anything is possible.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:52 am
Just Joined

emmani is an unknown quantity at this point

we are currently looking at moving to canada and wanted some advice on the process, we have just filled in the full assessment form, what do we need to do next?
thank
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

West-is-best has a spectacular aura aboutWest-is-best has a spectacular aura aboutWest-is-best has a spectacular aura about

Nikki dreaming I may be coming to Nova Scotia sooner than I thought. Having MAJOR wobbles. Am due to have a telephone interview soon with the question of when is the earliest I can get to canada. (have to do a 16 week course first). Like someone mentioned I too am coming from Dubai on my own with the kids while DH finishes up with his contract here so I am going from excitement to dread, but it is what we have been aiming for, for the last few years that it would be awful if we did not follow our dreams.

It took me two years to settle here so am sure it is going to take the same amount of time again. Just not sure how my son is going to cope. He never wanted to leave the UK in the first place and now he does not want to leave here.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

kiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nice

hey everyone, i fly to Calgary from North Wales next week! I've been packing up all my belongings and I have to keep reminding myself why I'm doing this!!

Its hard because i'm moving on my own and leaving my parents and grandparents behind! They support me 100% as they still say that moving us back to the UK when I was 2 was the biggest mistake they made - except for not getting citizenship before they moved back of course! lol!

Glad to hear that everyone went through it!

I am not looking forward to saying goodbye to mum at the airport - i'm an only child and I have never officially moved out of home before and she gets emotional when I go on holiday without her!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

West-is-best has a spectacular aura aboutWest-is-best has a spectacular aura aboutWest-is-best has a spectacular aura about

kiz congratulations. You are doing something very brave and good luck. And here I am worrying about going to NS on my own with the kids albeit 11 +13 but we all have to follow our dreams. You are lucky that your parents are being so supportive, I doubt that mine will as understanding.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:23 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by emmani
we are currently looking at moving to canada and wanted some advice on the process, we have just filled in the full assessment form, what do we need to do next?
thank
Hi there, have you tried reading the wiki (in the blue bar at the top), that should give you some pointers.

Once you have had a good read of that then come back and ask any questions you have, there is loads of experienced people on here who are usually happy to help but you need to be a bit more specific in the help you need.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dalaney
Thankyou for your replies, glad i'm normal (well almost)
You are perfectly normal. It is, after all, quite a big thing to do.

I remember watching the tarmac disappear below me at Heathrow and realising that I didn't have a return portion on my ticket. It was quite disconcerting for a few minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.