Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last minute wobbles

Last minute wobbles

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:25 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last minute wobbles

Hi there! Everything that you are feeling is normal, We came over to NS October last year (6 month anniversary yesterday). At the moment you are so consumed with feelings that you probably don't know whether your coming or going and you will feel like that for a while, but you have to stay focused and remember why you are doing what you are doing. Anyone who knows me will know that I have had a really tough time adjusting and being mum to the family I think we always take on everyone elses woe's as well as your own. I havent cried so much, not so much the last few months, but the first few were awful coupled with the worst winter here in NS for some years it really was a huge shock, but we are still here and it really is getting better by the day and I'm really starting to be able to call Canada home!! Don't be hard on yourself just put into perspective what you are doing its huge and to leave a strong family network and friends behind is one of the hardest things you will EVER do, but in time you will realise that you did make the right choice. I wish you all the luck in the world (I'll stop rambling now) Sorry
Bella
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

Hiya

We are in Auburn Bay, got a very big lake and lake house. Not all finished yet but still very nice. Hubbys work is only 10 mins away and he is home for 5pm rather then 7pm as he ws in the UK.

Lots of nice areas here in the SE, send me a PM if you need any help.

Lisa dd

Originally Posted by dalaney
Thankyou for your replies, glad i'm normal (well almost)

and I like that I'm not the only one who has looked at renting a house in the UK. Its like I'l spend 2 days looking at Calgary stuff and then the 3rd reorganising my life in the UK Argh!!

Lisadd, not sure where we will be yet, gonna have a look around for a week or 2 to find out which is the best option for OH work, dont want to have a long commute to downtown.

I like the lake communities in the SE though so will start there I think.
Where abouts are you?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

buddles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dalaney
Ok we now about 5 weeks from moving to Calgary and starting to get major wobbles.
Seem to have periods of can't wait to days of OMG
Lots of doubts keep creeping into my head, are we doing the right thing, are we throwing money away, will I get work, what if i hate it etc etc.

I know I'm never going to know until I try it for myself but would love to hear other peoples stories, how did you feel at this point, would you still have done it knowing what you know now?

thanks in advance
Hi dalaney,

You sound exactly like I did when we finally sold the house after it being on the market for 8 months. Thought it was never going to happen then all of a sudden WHAM!

If you check out my first thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598615
you will see we had exactly the same thoughts and fears. We still have about 11 weeks to go before we move to NS and are still up and down about it, but hey it's done now, no going back and just got to remember that we have been planning this for years and are determined to make the most of the experience. When I speak to other people about our plans they would love to be in our position, so you've just got to remain positive and remember the reasons you are leaving in the first place.

Good luck with it all and if you need people to talk to, I find this site is a great shrink's chair!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
[/COLOR]

Sorry the door to SK is closed

Your a bit out in the sticks.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lisadd
Hey your so right there!

Where abouts are you???? and how long you been here???

lisa dd
Hello lisa dd

We are in Edmonton with my husband, and 14 and 12 year old children. We arrived in January. Have finally, booked the dog to join us and he comes early May (can't wait).
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

It's normal what your feeling!

I didn't get out of my drive way the night before we left when I was saying my goodbyes before I was crying and it lasted nearly the whole night. I was the same in the airports the next day, met a good friend in the airport in Belfast and was nearly crying then in Heathrow we went to TGI Fridays for some and I was crying into my meal. Then I sat on the plane worrying the whole way there saying to myself "there's no going back now".

To be honest I was fine when I arrived although had a little homesickness the week we moved into our apartment but nothing major.

We've been here two months now and I have my ups and downs, I'm happy and content most of the time except I do admit the job search is getting me down and yesterday and today I've been just wanting to pack all up and come home because things haven't been going smoothly how I would like them, plus you do feel alone sometimes! But my main thing triggering the homesickness at the minute is the job hunt and feeling guilty for having to live off my partner.

Things will be fine though I'm sure. Life always has a strange way or working things out for everyone!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:57 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by West-is-best
Nikki dreaming I may be coming to Nova Scotia sooner than I thought. Having MAJOR wobbles. Am due to have a telephone interview soon with the question of when is the earliest I can get to canada. (have to do a 16 week course first). Like someone mentioned I too am coming from Dubai on my own with the kids while DH finishes up with his contract here so I am going from excitement to dread, but it is what we have been aiming for, for the last few years that it would be awful if we did not follow our dreams.

It took me two years to settle here so am sure it is going to take the same amount of time again. Just not sure how my son is going to cope. He never wanted to leave the UK in the first place and now he does not want to leave here.
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having wobbles, it sounds like you have experience of doing big moves, as you say if this has been your long term goal you dont want to regret anything

When do you think you may be over? There are lots of people on BE that are in NS and the support available is fantastic.

I have 2 children although perhaps a bit younger than yours?? they are 6 and 2 ,

Perhaps we can catch up when you are over? do you know whereabouts you are going to be based?

ND
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:26 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I also think its harder leaving this time of year. The clocks have changed and the evenings are lighter and its warmer. You feel a tad more optimistic this time of year. Just look forward to a much better summer where you're going in Canada!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

listen to the voices they are right - canada is rubbish, everyone here hates it. Even all the canadians I know want to leave

Seriously, though, everyone gets wobbles, some of them without foundation, some of them for good reason. Time will tell which ones are which.

So long as you know why you want to leave the UK and are sure about that you will be fine. of course you may still find that you dont like canada! but thats all part of lifes adventure
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

Your so right.

You can onlt but try!

we are here in Calgary now, enjoy it so far - timeline to settle is 2 years, lets see what happens.

good luck

Lisa dd

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
listen to the voices they are right - canada is rubbish, everyone here hates it. Even all the canadians I know want to leave

Seriously, though, everyone gets wobbles, some of them without foundation, some of them for good reason. Time will tell which ones are which.

So long as you know why you want to leave the UK and are sure about that you will be fine. of course you may still find that you dont like canada! but thats all part of lifes adventure
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyturner
ewww!! I have another 11 months yet and up to now was soooo excited. Now I keep thinking, this is my last easter, it will be my last birthday, christmas etc. I find myself (now the warm light nights are here) looking admirably at the rolling hills, seeing all our friends sitting outside the pub having a laugh....doing the "British thing"

I never thought I would be in this position.....but, my mind id made up and will still go.
Hello Skyturner.....

I remember when I had "11months to go" ...now I just have 5 weeks....and I have gone thro the EXACT same comparisons you are doing now... even more so in the last few days. There is nothing quite like the British countryside in spring and summer months....the smell of honey suckle, the sound of the blackbird at dusk, the green rolling hills, the country pub with REAL ALE... .

These are all things that I will miss - but in my opinion if you are preparing yourself for the things you will miss and are ready for the change in culture....it wont come as big as a shock, im expecting to be homesick, for quite some time, I still think what the hell am i doing....but then I think ah but look what Canada offers that the UK doesnt, so many new experiences, new people, and most importantly Im finding this out for myself - its not just a dream that never materialised.

To sum up im expecting things to be difficult and hard going at first -financially and emotionally...that risk to me is better than not doing anything, only to look back later on in life deeply regretting Id never given it a go. Just keep looking at the BIG picture - thats what Im telling myslef!!

That said, Im still bricking it!!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paul Shephard where abouts in Canada are you heading for???

Lisa dd

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Hello Skyturner.....

I remember when I had "11months to go" ...now I just have 5 weeks....and I have gone thro the EXACT same comparisons you are doing now... even more so in the last few days. There is nothing quite like the British countryside in spring and summer months....the smell of honey suckle, the sound of the blackbird at dusk, the green rolling hills, the country pub with REAL ALE... .

These are all things that I will miss - but in my opinion if you are preparing yourself for the things you will miss and are ready for the change in culture....it wont come as big as a shock, im expecting to be homesick, for quite some time, I still think what the hell am i doing....but then I think ah but look what Canada offers that the UK doesnt, so many new experiences, new people, and most importantly Im finding this out for myself - its not just a dream that never materialised.

To sum up im expecting things to be difficult and hard going at first -financially and emotionally...that risk to me is better than not doing anything, only to look back later on in life deeply regretting Id never given it a go. Just keep looking at the BIG picture - thats what Im telling myslef!!

That said, Im still bricking it!!!
Old May 5th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisadd
Hi Paul Shephard where abouts in Canada are you heading for???

Lisa dd
Hello Lisa dd,

Im heading for Alliston in Ontario, however that will only be for a few months as my friend (who I am going to be living with) is selling his house in Alliston to be nearer his girlfriend in Cambridge.

4 weeks today and Im gone! Blighty's shores will be a memory through a plane window...!!! as I said looking forward to it, but really scared too...I think once I have got a job sorted I will be a lot happier and relaxed.

You sound as tho you have the right approach to it all, some people expect too much too soon.... no where is a Utopia.

Paul
Old May 6th 2009, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Hey Dalaney congrats you have just shown yourself to be a perfectly normal human with exactly the emotion and worries that everyone who goes through this process feels at one time or another. Is it any wonder really? New Continent, new people, new traditions, new Job, new tax system, new way to drive down the street, new food, new beer, new sport, new TV station (well 8 years ago), new wild life, new plants, NEW Horizons. As if this wasnt enough you are wondering if you are doing the right thing for your family.

Fella this is probably the most scary thing you will ever do in your life, the next year will most likely be the busiest in your whole life. The experience will most likely cost you a lot of hard earned savings.

Chin up, deep breath, stride forward. In a year or so you will probably look back and wonder what you were worried about, for the present however your feelings are entirely normal.

The very best of luck with your move we visited Calgary once and loved it apart from the one way system.

Best wishes for the future near and far. Head for that Horizon!!!