Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Keep British passport as well, or just Canadian?

Keep British passport as well, or just Canadian?

Old Jul 27th 2022, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep British passport as well, or just Canadian?

Thats interesting...I have never known the full ins and outs of it, but have always entered UK with my British passport and Canada with my Canadian passport... its nice to know that is the correct procedure.

My British passport expires next year, so I will be renewing that... for the reasons stated in the posts above, (ie having two consulates to choose from depending where you are in the world) and also to not cause any unecceasary confusion or controversy like Bats was subjected to. I also want to maintain as many links with Britain as I can.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thats interesting...I have never known the full ins and outs of it, but have always entered UK with my British passport and Canada with my Canadian passport... its nice to know that is the correct procedure.

My British passport expires next year, so I will be renewing that... for the reasons stated in the posts above, (ie having two consulates to choose from depending where you are in the world) and also to not cause any unecceasary confusion or controversy like Bats was subjected to. I also want to maintain as many links with Britain as I can.
I think it unlikely that I shall be needing consular assistance in any remote part of the world so that's not a factor for me. I use the British passport for Britain, the Canadian one for Canada and the US and, since Brexit, the Canadian one in Europe. I can't hide being British but I don't want to make it obvious either.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

IMO better to have and not need then need and not have. Always keep both valid, use Canadian in Canada/US and UK in GB/Europe. For the cost of 10 pound a year is it really worth fussing?
Old Jul 28th 2022, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it unlikely that I shall be needing consular assistance in any remote part of the world so that's not a factor for me. I use the British passport for Britain, the Canadian one for Canada and the US and, since Brexit, the Canadian one in Europe. I can't hide being British but I don't want to make it obvious either.
Thats interesting too, why would you use a Canadian passport in Europe and not the British one, even with Brexit, surely that the British one has more of a link to Europe than the Canadian one? are you thinking there may be some type of hostile reaction towards you because of Brexit? hence the fact you don't want to make it known/obvious you are British?
Old Jul 28th 2022, 10:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thats interesting too, why would you use a Canadian passport in Europe and not the British one, even with Brexit, surely that the British one has more of a link to Europe than the Canadian one? are you thinking there may be some type of hostile reaction towards you because of Brexit? hence the fact you don't want to make it known/obvious you are British?
Not a hostile reaction, just a presumption of stupidity. Something like the Irish used to suffer in London.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 12:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrian
It appears there’s no change to the UK’s policy, once ETA is rolled out, of not requiring British citizens to enter on a UK passport (they currently “recommend” it IF you hold a valid UK passport, but it’s not required):

https://www.etauk.uk/requirements/

Dual nationals and those with multiple passports must enter the UK with the same document used during the registration process for the Electronic Travel Authorisation. Arriving in Britain with a different passport to the one electronically connected to an ETA will invalidate the visa waiver.
Worth noting that's not an official site, the details of the scheme haven't been announced yet. I'd be surprised if there was a way for UK citizens to get an ETA, same as Canadian citizens can't get a Canadian ETA, US citizens can't apply for the VWP etc. But even if one could apply for a UK ETA as a British citizen, it may be more cost effective to get a passport depending on the fee and how often one travels to the UK.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, even if I was travelling to my other country of citizenship on a Cdn passport (due to the Maltese one being expired or something like that) I would be travelling with evidence of citizenship and seeking entry as a citizen where possible. (expired pp, national ID card, etc.) Unless we are talking about potentially hostile countries for dual citizenship like Iran, Syria, etc where you would always want to present as a Canadian, generally entering a country you are a citizen of as a citizen, rather then causing unnecessary hassle by presenting yourself as foreign, is always the best practice.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 11:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Worth noting that's not an official site, the details of the scheme haven't been announced yet. I'd be surprised if there was a way for UK citizens to get an ETA, same as Canadian citizens can't get a Canadian ETA, US citizens can't apply for the VWP etc. But even if one could apply for a UK ETA as a British citizen, it may be more cost effective to get a passport depending on the fee and how often one travels to the UK.
Here’s the current fact sheet: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tion-factsheet

I understand the scheme is due to start at the beginning of 2023.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
IMHO, even if I was travelling to my other country of citizenship on a Cdn passport (due to the Maltese one being expired or something like that) I would be travelling with evidence of citizenship and seeking entry as a citizen where possible. (expired pp, national ID card, etc.) Unless we are talking about potentially hostile countries for dual citizenship like Iran, Syria, etc where you would always want to present as a Canadian, generally entering a country you are a citizen of as a citizen, rather then causing unnecessary hassle by presenting yourself as foreign, is always the best practice.
When I was recently in the UK, I entered the country at LHR. Canadian, US, Singapore, Australian and NZ citizens can enter for a certain number of days visa free, they are directed to the same lines and ppt inspection as British citizens.

So, in the event if one went back to the UK on a Canadian ppt, but still a British citizen, it probably won't have an impact at all? If one stayed longer and took up work, just use the existing old NiNo number and one would be good to go.

But then there would be the future to consider, I'd say electronic travel authorizations will be the norm for all, except citizens, at some point. Close neighbors like US/Canada, or the UK and Ireland will be the exception.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bear in mind that renewing it is a lot less hassle than letting it lapse then trying to renew in several years time...........
I believe 10 years is the cut off date for renewals. After that it is processed as a new application.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 3:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Here’s the current fact sheet: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tion-factsheet

I understand the scheme is due to start at the beginning of 2023.
Beta testing begins in Q1 2023; full rollout from Q3 2023.