Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Keep British passport as well, or just Canadian?

Keep British passport as well, or just Canadian?

Old Jul 26th 2022, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Keep British passport as well, or just Canadian?

Originally Posted by bats
i was given grief by UK immigration when i entered on a Canadian passport and my British one had expired. I even had an appointment to renew the UK one while i was visiting. There were no repercussions to the unpleasantness but it was deeply unpleasant.
How weird!

What was their complaint/issue? Just upset that you're a citizen but using another passport? Why would they care?

My wife will be heading over soon, and it'll have to be her Canadian passport as she waits for her new British passport. She's taking one of our kids, who does have an active British passport and a Canadian one.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Pretty sure you cannot renew a UK PP if it expired over 10 years or more. After that time it is classed as a first time PP application.
Thanks! Will definitely avoid ever leaving it that long, if we do ever let it lapse for a while.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I only applied for my Irish passport once Brexit was done but for the costs of each spread over their validity, I don't see a reason not to keep each of them active. One never know which consulate will be able to offer the best service in a particular situation.
That's a good point. I guess I don't ever really think of needing consular assistance in a foreign country. But the time you need it (much like the first time I ever had to actually use travel insurance due to a surgery when abroad) is when you'll likely appreciate having the option of two to make sure you get the best help!
Old Jul 26th 2022, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
How weird!

What was their complaint/issue? Just upset that you're a citizen but using another passport? Why would they care?

My wife will be heading over soon, and it'll have to be her Canadian passport as she waits for her new British passport. She's taking one of our kids, who does have an active British passport and a Canadian one.
I suspect that was a while ago because now you can go through the automated line with a Canadian passport, whereas at one time they only accepted UK ones. Having said that, I think there’s an age limit on their use, so your child may not be eligible to use. But one would think they’d fully understand the issues there have been with passport renewals.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How weird!

If you enter with a UK PP, you are entered as a UK citizen. If you enter using a foreign PP, you are entered as a visitor.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you enter with a UK PP, you are entered as a UK citizen. If you enter using a foreign PP, you are entered as a visitor.
Makes sense.

Does that ultimately make a difference, providing the trip isn't longer than 6 months? Given she'll have to enter as a visitor this time, should she use my son's Canadian passport and so enter him as a visitor, or does it not really matter?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th 2022, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense.

Does that ultimately make a difference, providing the trip isn't longer than 6 months? Given she'll have to enter as a visitor this time, should she use my son's Canadian passport and so enter him as a visitor, or does it not really matter?

Thanks!
If it’s longer than the duration of a visitor’s entry, I believe you should apply to adjust status. Whether people actually do that I don’t know…I doubt it.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

If it’s longer than the duration of a visitor’s entry, I believe you should apply to adjust status. Whether people actually do that I don’t know…I doubt it.
Sorry, I'm not totally following and I'm probably confusing things lol.

For this trip back to Scotland, her British passport is expired and she'll therefore have to use her Canadian one to enter the UK. One of our son's that she's taking with her has both a Canadian and British passport that are active for a few more years. She will be renewing her British passport, but that isn't really relevant to the trip since it's currently expired.

She's only going for a week for this trip. So she'll need to enter on her Canadian passport, which presumably won't be a problem. Should she even mention she's British (if she can't use the automatic gates due to my son being only 2)? I'm just wondering whether she should use our son's British passport for him, or just have both of them use their Canadian passport, or if it really doesn't matter which one he uses?

Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry, I'm not totally following and I'm probably confusing things lol.

For this trip back to Scotland, her British passport is expired and she'll therefore have to use her Canadian one to enter the UK. One of our son's that she's taking with her has both a Canadian and British passport that are active for a few more years. She will be renewing her British passport, but that isn't really relevant to the trip since it's currently expired.

She's only going for a week for this trip. So she'll need to enter on her Canadian passport, which presumably won't be a problem. Should she even mention she's British (if she can't use the automatic gates due to my son being only 2)? I'm just wondering whether she should use our son's British passport for him, or just have both of them use their Canadian passport, or if it really doesn't matter which one he uses?

She will enter with the rest of the family, using her CDN PP If anything is said be truthful and say it has expired. I am sure it will not be a problem.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

She will enter with the rest of the family, using her CDN PP If anything is said be truthful and say it has expired. I am sure it will not be a problem.
Thanks!

I guess I'm just confused why there would be any reason for it to be a problem anyway? Both in this case and the previous poster who had some hassle. Unless this UK ETA (when it comes in) requires that we need the British passport like the Canadian one requires us to have our Canadian passport, there doesn't appear to be any requirement that a British citizen enters on a British passport, does there? Surely we can enter on any valid passport in the same way as a visitor does?

I'm not worried, just interested :-) And yep, would always be truthful for sure!

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I guess I'm just confused why there would be any reason for it to be a problem anyway? Both in this case and the previous poster who had some hassle. Unless this UK ETA (when it comes in) requires that we need the British passport like the Canadian one requires us to have our Canadian passport, there doesn't appear to be any requirement that a British citizen enters on a British passport, does there? Surely we can enter on any valid passport in the same way as a visitor does?

I'm not worried, just interested :-) And yep, would always be truthful for sure!

Thanks!
I don't see why there should be any unpleasantness etc. If a person entering does not tell the Immigration officer that they hold an expired British passport, that official will be none the wiser
There is currently no requirement to hold a valid British passport, regardless of whether you live in the UK or elsewhere.
When entering the UK, you need a valid passport (and visa if applicable) that allows you to enter, That passport does not have to be a British one.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't see why there should be any unpleasantness etc. If a person entering does not tell the Immigration officer that they hold an expired British passport, that official will be none the wiser
There is currently no requirement to hold a valid British passport, regardless of whether you live in the UK or elsewhere.
When entering the UK, you need a valid passport (and visa if applicable) that allows you to enter, That passport does not have to be a British one.
Very true. It can be confusing because Canadian citizens must leave and enter Canada using Canadian PP.

Plus bats mentioned in her post above, that a UK Imm. Officer had given her grief for not having a UK PP. Perhaps he had an argument with his wife before he left home.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

When I visited the UK on my Canadian passport, I went through the non-EU line at the airport, and just let my wife do all the talking with her Canadian accent, no issues. It does say my UK birthplace on my Canadian passport though, but I figured if that ever came up I would just say yes I was born in the UK but have no ties there besides family members who still live in the UK and I consider myself fully Canadian. Hopefully that whole UK ETA thing won't require me to get a UK passport for future visits, that is concerning as I really don't want the whole hassle of dealing with that.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all!
Old Jul 26th 2022, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Hopefully that whole UK ETA thing won't require me to get a UK passport for future visits, that is concerning as I really don't want the whole hassle of dealing with that.
It appears there’s no change to the UK’s policy, once ETA is rolled out, of not requiring British citizens to enter on a UK passport (they currently “recommend” it IF you hold a valid UK passport, but it’s not required):

https://www.etauk.uk/requirements/

Dual nationals and those with multiple passports must enter the UK with the same document used during the registration process for the Electronic Travel Authorisation. Arriving in Britain with a different passport to the one electronically connected to an ETA will invalidate the visa waiver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.