Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

gembers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

Hi,
I'm another one caught out by the Zoom fiasco. I paid by BMO Mastercard and so far they have been no use to me whatsoever (quite embarrassing being as i work for them!).
If anybody has had better luck dealing with BMO Mosaik Mastercard and can offer any advice it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice
Default Re: The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Its pretty easy actually, get on the phone NOW and tell them you want to put a payment into dispute,they will then ask you why, tell them, and its plain sailing from there. Just 2 weeks ago i had to do it with Amex,they froze the payment while they made there inquires, which means you do not have to pay the bill or any interest. If you have already paid your statement off, its still just as easy but you will have to wait 30 days for the money to be refunded back to your account. I've done this a few times in the past
Thats because all vendors sign an agreement saying that any challenges to the payment, unless proved otherwise (within 30 days), will be taken backl from the merchant account. (sorry forget the official terminology right now)

Will the CC companies be so helpful once so many requests have been made? If the airline has no money, they have no money, the CC company will just become another outstading creditor? If the CC is not getting the funds back will they be so willing to help then?

It may pay to get in quick with this one!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just called American Express. They say it is too early as their legal department is still considering the bank's position. However, they say they WILL stand behind their cardholders.

Phew!

Hiding?

Seriously though.... Will they pay up or just represent claimants??

All helps though I suppose?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gembers
Hi,
I'm another one caught out by the Zoom fiasco. I paid by BMO Mastercard and so far they have been no use to me whatsoever (quite embarrassing being as i work for them!).
If anybody has had better luck dealing with BMO Mosaik Mastercard and can offer any advice it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks
Great - not
I'm on hold with them as I sit here and type... let you know...
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

Myself and my wife booked flights from Vancouver to Gatwick just 3 days ago!!!:curse: We booked with a Vancity creditcard and have just faxed them out dispute. They have has a few strange things to say.

1. That they cannot process anything until Zoom have filed for bankruptcy (it is happening today I gather)
2. They said that they will not refund until after the date we were supposed to fly back:curse: Meaning that we would get no cash back until after 27th December 2008!!!!!!!!!!:curse:

I noticed on the BBC website that BA are offering deals to Zoom customers effected. Anyone found out anything more about this?.

Cheers,
Richard
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richardm123
2. They said that they will not refund until after the date we were supposed to fly back:curse: Meaning that we would get no cash back until after 27th December 2008!!!!!!!!!!:curse:
I suppose this is due to the fact that they will only repay if you do not receive the service you paid for..... Do you have to wait until the day you were supposed to fly to find this out??
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

I think that as it is early days yet, the Visa company are still not sure what will happen. The Visa customer service manager mentioned that for example: 'Zoom maybe picked up by another company after filing insolvency who may in turn honour the flights'. I find this pretty doubtful myself.

The problem I have is basically paying for 2 more flights without having the money back for the Zoom flights. We were going to pay off the Zoom flights next week. We will still be charged interest if we do not.

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I suppose this is due to the fact that they will only repay if you do not receive the service you paid for..... Do you have to wait until the day you were supposed to fly to find this out??
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:28 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic re credit cards however was looking at our banks travel insurance policy and that says it pays "trip cancellation benefits when any of the following occur"

then one of the 'following' is

Default when a contracted travel supplier stops all service completely as a result of bankruptcy or insolvency

So whilst its a long shot if anyone has some form of travel insurance they should call their insurers to see if they are eligible to claim for something.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Hiding?

Seriously though.... Will they pay up or just represent claimants??

All helps though I suppose?
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Great - not
Working for them too I have just checked on the intranet regarding tandc's of the mosaik Travel protection and it looks as though you are only covered if you have the Gold travel insurance - that says it pays "trip cancellation benefits when any of the following occur"

then one of the 'following' is

Default when a contracted travel supplier stops all service completely as a result of bankruptcy or insolvency

basically the same clause as the standalone travel insurance trip protection package
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew that 'free kids' offer was too good to be true. There is no way we'll get another deal like that one now.

I tried calling Lloyds TSB tonight and got cut off after waiting 28 minutes. Mastercard are advising their Canadian customers that refunds will be given. I hope that stands for UK customers too.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Great - not
Well, after being put through to the 'dispute charge' department, I then waited on hold for 1hr 45mins before I could no longer stand the crappy musak (and I could no longer put off my life) Will try again later...
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Hi everyone,

we are also affected as all 5 of us were due to travel to halifax in October. I used to be the team leader of a 'disputes' section for a large telephone/internet bank and anyone paying by a visa/mastercard credit card will be cover under section 75 of the consumer credit act.

An earlier poster was right, in the first instance they will request a copy of the voucher(sale) normally under these circumstances the companies bank will not provide the voucher and the 'chargeback' rights come into play - which means you get your money back. If the do provide the voucher then they chargeback under non receipt of goods. Either way the card issuer and zoom are jointly and severally liable.

Have a read and see if it helps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides...iability.shtml

Debit cards... well you could argue the fact if you where in an overdrawn position as technically you were using 'credit'

Shelley

Last edited by sheli0508; Aug 29th 2008 at 12:43 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Call volumes are going to behigh... I've just got in from work... (now work for another bank is a crap role... s'pose that what I get for having children...) anyway we were experiencing 45 minute call waits... it's hitting everyone. would recommend that you use internet banking if you've got it. yiu just need to start the process. your money isn't going anywhere..... doesn't matter if you inform them this week or next the dispute will still take place. most companies would also look in increase yor limit to make an alternative transaction.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I ahve just looked up the consumer credit act as I am concerened for my mother.

This maybe of use:
http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...qual-liability

It states here, I think that even if banks cannot recover money from zoom, they are still liable for credit, and suggests that credit grantors may want to seek insurance for such circumstances.

This seems to be good news for at least those who used a UK credit card buying from a UK website.

Gryph
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Just got in contact with BMO. They said they will be sending me a dispute claim form, should recieve it within the next 3-5 days. Fill it in, send in ticket info, and within a week of recieving that, they claim that the money will be reimbursed back onto the card.

Lets hope there not lying.

Also to add. Master card Canada says that generally you are protected , and that you are entitled to a refund under the failure to receive goods and services policy.

Last edited by Spongebob; Aug 29th 2008 at 2:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.