British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ive-got-zoom-ticket-am-trying-get-credit-card-refund-thread-558030/)

Ramsey Aug 28th 2008 7:17 pm

The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

Righty then..... How's about everyone who has a Zoom ticket and is trying to get a refund via their Credit Card or Insurance company post their stories and experiences here.

Then with one place to look, BE can hopefully be of help to all the people affected.

Good Luck all!

R I C H Aug 28th 2008 7:24 pm

Re: The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

I've friends due to fly with Zoom from the UK to NY next week. Their credit card supplier (NatWest) has told them they're not eligible for a refund.

chumley Aug 28th 2008 7:26 pm

Re: The I've got a Zoom ticket and am trying to get a credit card refund thread...

just phone bank of scotia VISA they wont do anything say we have to claim from zoom but situation might change in a few days:curse:

Biiiiink Aug 28th 2008 7:28 pm

I'll make this a sticky, which will keep it at the top of the forum for a while.

Ramsey Aug 28th 2008 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by chumley (Post 6724996)
just phone bank of scotia VISA they wont do anything say we have to claim from zoom but situation might change in a few days:curse:

Is it a gold card or a standard card? as I know the protection levels are different and just want to be clear.....

R I C H Aug 28th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ramsey (Post 6725061)
Is it a gold card or a standard card? as I know the protection levels are different and just want to be clear.....

My friend used a N/West Black card (for salary earners of GBP100k+), so it's more to do with the small print that the card's colour.

JonboyE Aug 28th 2008 7:54 pm

Just called American Express. They say it is too early as their legal department is still considering the bank's position. However, they say they WILL stand behind their cardholders.

Phew!

AndyBCbound Aug 28th 2008 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6725102)
My friend used a N/West Black card (for salary earners of GBP100k+), so it's more to do with the small print that the card's colour.

Its pretty easy actually, get on the phone NOW and tell them you want to put a payment into dispute,they will then ask you why, tell them, and its plain sailing from there. Just 2 weeks ago i had to do it with Amex,they froze the payment while they made there inquires, which means you do not have to pay the bill or any interest. If you have already paid your statement off, its still just as easy but you will have to wait 30 days for the money to be refunded back to your account. I've done this a few times in the past:thumbsup:

AndyBCbound Aug 28th 2008 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6725102)

I think it comes under the category of failure to deliver service/goods:eek:

Hobbess Aug 28th 2008 8:18 pm

RBC has just contested mine for me, they say a usual 45 day wait for this to be resolved which may be quicker as there will be several people in the same position

Little D Aug 28th 2008 8:27 pm

CIBC Visa have been great!

They just told me to fax through to them a copy of the notice from Zoom and a copy of the itinerary. They gave me a reference number to quote on all the pages and said they would then arrange to credit the money back to my Visa account.

Understandably they couldn't say how long it would take as they have very high call volumes about this issue, but they were very helpful. I was most impressed.

Now I've got to try and find an affordable flight from UK to Calgary just before Christmas for my unaccompanied 15 year old!!

babsi Aug 28th 2008 8:31 pm

I don't have this problem but we had a problem a few years ago and Citibank were great, got the money back very quickly. Maybe it pays to have a card from a 'bigger' company?

Rob_999 Aug 28th 2008 8:59 pm

I paid for inlaws tickets via my UK lloyds debit card - 850 quid.

Spoke to Lloyds - very helpful, there is a slim chance of a refund, but I'm not holding my breath.

Inlaws had travel insurance through Sainsburys. However the policy does not cover travel companies going into financial problems :curse:

They're rebooked on BA for cost of about 1,000 quid...

What pisses me off is that the only reason I paid debit and not credit card was the 3% booking fee. Saving 20 quid had turned out to cost me 850. :mad:

littlsm Aug 28th 2008 9:12 pm

I booked my flight with Zoom using a Bank of Scotland Visa Debit. I've been told that Visa Debit is covered by the "Visa Scheme Rules". Apparently its a little known rule that Banks don't want you to know about.

I've asked HBOS to investigate. they said they'll get back to me.

I'll let you know.

Rob_999 Aug 28th 2008 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by littlsm (Post 6725398)
I booked my flight with Zoom using a Bank of Scotland Visa Debit. I've been told that Visa Debit is covered by the "Visa Scheme Rules". Apparently its a little known rule that Banks don't want you to know about.

I've asked HBOS to investigate. they said they'll get back to me.

I'll let you know.

"Visa debit" = debit card = pretty much same as paying via cheque.
"Visa credit" = credit card = merchant fees paid by vendor = customer protection.

You'll be lucky to get anything back