Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's finally happening!

It's finally happening!

Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's finally happening!

It all seems to have come together recently. Our TWP came through, and we were invited to apply for EE.

We are flying out to Toronto in a couple of weeks...to start our fun times quarantine!

Closer to the time, I will document my move and experiences in the hope that someone will find my family's journey helpful.

I do have a couple of questions before I touch down.

Driver's Licence
Once my two weeks are up, I want to take a trip to the Drive Test centre asap:

1. Was is the situation with swapping your driver's licence due to COVID-19?
2. Can I just turn up?
3. Due to Covid-19, I was not on my wife's TWP and had to get a letter giving me permission to travel with her. Does this mean I can't swap my driver's licence?

SIN
For my wife to work, she will need to get her SIN number. How has Covid-19 affected getting your SIN number?

Other questions
1. Is it common that supermarkets refuse to deliver alcohol? While my wife and I are not big drinkers, we do enjoy the occasional Prosecco or glass of wine. I was looking at Loblaws delivery service, and they do not deliver alcohol at all!
2. In anyone's opinion, what are the chances that a taxi company will agree to take us from the airport to our Airbnb?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Seeker
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's finally happening!

I can only answer your very last question - you should be able to get a taxi with no issue at Pearson. We arrived there two weeks ago, on a Sunday - the airport was quiet, we got through quicker than usual and had to wait about 10 minutes for a taxi, which was no more expensive than usual.

You have to supply your contact details on a form and we have had two calls to check on our quarantine arrangements.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

i_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond reputei_Seeker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. That's a relief, we worried that we would be treated like lepers when we got there. How has quarantine been? Did you stay at an Airbnb?
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
It all seems to have come together recently. Our TWP came through, and we were invited to apply for EE.

We are flying out to Toronto in a couple of weeks...to start our fun times quarantine!

Closer to the time, I will document my move and experiences in the hope that someone will find my family's journey helpful.

I do have a couple of questions before I touch down.

Driver's Licence
Once my two weeks are up, I want to take a trip to the Drive Test centre asap:

1. Was is the situation with swapping your driver's licence due to COVID-19?
You can drive on your UK license for 60 days - then exchange it - best thing to do is contact them once you have finished your 14 days and ask if you need to make an appointment https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...rivers-licence Strongly advise you obtain your drivers extract while you are in the UK and also letters confirming you have been claim free (specific wording needed) from your insurance company/ies to obtain a better quote here - a few insurance companies will take your UK claim free period into consideration, with the right proof - see our wiki for more info: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...surance-Canada
2. Can I just turn up?
3. Due to Covid-19, I was not on my wife's TWP and had to get a letter giving me permission to travel with her. Does this mean I can't swap my driver's licence?
When you arrive you must ask for a Visitor Record - you have to ask for it - you need more than the standard 'stamp' in your passport. With a Visitor Record you will be able to exchange your Drivers License.
SIN
For my wife to work, she will need to get her SIN number. How has Covid-19 affected getting your SIN number?
She can apply online / by mail if necessary.. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...sin/apply.html
Other questions
1. Is it common that supermarkets refuse to deliver alcohol? While my wife and I are not big drinkers, we do enjoy the occasional Prosecco or glass of wine. I was looking at Loblaws delivery service, and they do not deliver alcohol at all!
Supermarkets (grocery stores) don't usually sell alcohol - you would need to buy from either the Beer Store (for beer) or the LCBO. You can order online from LCBO or there are alcohol delivery services.. restaurants are presently also allowed to deliver alcohol with a meal you order.
2. In anyone's opinion, what are the chances that a taxi company will agree to take us from the airport to our Airbnb?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Seeker
See 'quote' sections above
Well done on the TWP and EE invite! Exciting times.. do read our wiki about moving over ... and if you have an application in for PR (make sure you bring all the documentation you migh tneed for the application with you!) and check out the 'goods to follow'part of the CBSA website: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-drc-eng.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2020 at 4:28 am.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

As regards to you swapping drivers licences, yes, you turn up in person at an Ontario Drive Test Centre.

BUT, they are ooerating a rationing system whereby if you were born Jan to Jun, you can be processed on one week, if born Jul to Dec you are processed the next week (I know coz I just got my M rating added). Trouble is finding out which is your week. Also the social distancing lines are horrific. You need to turn up at least one hour before they officially open OR MORE. Takes a chair coz you will be lining up for 2 or 3 hours.

Just my personal and very recent experience.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i_Seeker
Thanks for the reply. That's a relief, we worried that we would be treated like lepers when we got there. How has quarantine been? Did you stay at an Airbnb?
Quarantine has been easier than we expected - we were returning residents so now have more inside space than we were used to in Austria although less freedom outside with only a small garden. Netflix, books, reading on iPad and jigsaw puzzles helped, and also the fact we were pretty tired the first few days.
We also have helpful friends and neighbours who did our shopping for us.