Category:Car Insurance-Canada

From Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Car insurance (as with most driving issues) is Provincially regulated in Canada, so the rules, requirements and options vary depending on where you are. Broadly, insurance divides into two types: Provinces with Government Monopolies, and Provinces with private markets.

Government Monopolies

British Columbia

ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia)

Main Article: Car Insurance in BC

All residents must purchase insurance through ICBC. Additional insurance is available through private companies.


MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance)

All residents must purchase insurance through MPI. Manitoba claim to operate a rather unusual 'no fault' system where insurance premiums don't increase based on your accident history. Although this is technically true, a history of safe driving can result in insurance premium reductions of up to 33%, and driving licences are renewed annually; any accident history at all, or record of unsafe driving such as speeding tickets results in a substantial licence surcharge, to a maximum possible charge for a one year licence of $3,000. [1]


SAAQ (Societe de l'Assurance d'Automobile du Quebec)

All residents must purchase insurance through SAAQ.


SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance)

All residents must purchase insurance through SGI.

Private Insurance


Main article: Vehicle Insurance-Alberta


Main Article: Car Insurance in Ontario

Another option:

Hi Hope this helps some of you new to Canada ex-pats. Car Insurance......Our experience.....

Moved to Windsor Ontario 24th August 2010, bought a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. Searched the Yellow Pages for insurance brokers and phoned half a dozen of them. The quotes we were given were for between $1300 - $1500 seemed good compared with some of the reports on BE. When we came to actually buy it, we found that all the companies doubled their quotes saying that they were only able to give us Brits a 3* insurance as we had come from Europe.

On the recommendation of G77 on here we asked Johnsons for a quote. They are the only company who we tried who were able to take our UK No Claims and Driver's history into consideration.

This what they said they needed. In order for them to give a 6* rating they need to see letters from your UK insurance Companies totalling a minimum of 6 years no claims history. It must be worded carefully to say that between DD/MM/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY (your name)................ had no claims whatsoever during this period of Insurance. It is important to get a letter from each company, if you have used multiple companies......must total at least six years.

You will also need your Driver's history, which you can get from DVLA for £5 and takes about 10 days to get.

It saved us from having to pay $2887 to actually paying $1653......that is a massive difference.

When you contact Johnsons, I would try to use the e-mail address the phone number leads you to. Be prepared to wait a couple of days for them to contact you, as it takes this amount of time to filter through the system to your local office.

We left it late and had to take our the more expensive insurance as we needed to get the car on the we have since cancelled the original and taken out Johnsons....but will now have to pay around $300 cancellation charges as 6 days insured cover. Please don't make the same mistake we made.....Yes we still save just under $ it is worthwhile.

See also

This category currently contains no pages or media.