Scam calls

Old Jul 27th 2020, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Scam calls

Hi

The moment I got my new line I started getting scam calls ( something in chinese I dont understand what they saying)

Everyday in very early morning I get scam calls I block each scam number, but everytime they use a new number

I am applying for jobs so I expect any company to call me.

I got a new number but guess what? They still calling.

I used apps such as TrueCaller but it does not recognise them as spam!

How can I stop that.

It is extermly annoying
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scam calls

The Chinese lady call has been going on for a few years, they are really good at spoofing numbers making it near impossible to stop.

I do find they call cell phones less often if you happen to be in an area where there is a new area code and lots of new numbers never assigned yet and not on the radar of the spammers.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

I think government has to take action
Old Jul 28th 2020, 12:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA View Post
Hi

The moment I got my new line I started getting scam calls ( something in chinese I dont understand what they saying)
They are saying that legal action has been taken against your social security number and that hanging up would be a deliberate attempt to avoid dealing with the matter. If you don't stay on the line and speak with an officer various official sounding nastinesses will happen to you.

The message is also available in English, Tagalog and possibly other languages - now that we're not in an office I have no one to translate.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:07 am
Just Joined

BigCrunch is an unknown quantity at this point

I switched my phone to only ring for recognised numbers from my contacts to avoid this hassle. I would get a missed call instead of a ring, for anything else. If it’s a job interview call they leave a message. Added a potential employers number to my contacts after the first miss.

In any event, my wife didn’t take that approach - she got lots of spam calls for a couple of months, within days of getting a new number, and then they stopped.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 4:04 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA View Post
I think government has to take action
The numbers are spoofed - and it's a pre-recorded 'bot' - so they don't have a number to take action against.

There's changes coming, so it may stop soon. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm
Caller ID authentication and verification measure We asked telecommunications service providers to implement, by September 2020, the STIR/SHAKEN framework which is a caller ID authentication and verification measure. It aims to certify the extent to which a given caller’s identity can be trusted. This will empower Canadians to determine which calls are authenticated, thus reducing the frequency and impact of caller ID spoofing on consumers.
Information about SiTIR/SHAKEN - https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/u...g-stir-shaken/

I get a call every few days - I add the number to the user ID I set up as 'Chinese Spam, do not answer' - then register/report it as spam and set it so it 'bounces' any further calls from those numbers. Once you answer a call from a spammer they will keep calling as they now know the number is live. I have a specific ringtone for all friends and family / physicians offices etc. - anyone else that calls I look at the number carefully before deciding on answering.

I also have my phone set to silent when I go to bed / sleep; I'd suggest you do the same - employers won't be calling in the early hours.

Register your number with the National Do not Call register - for other telemarketing calls. https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2020 at 4:12 pm.