Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's days like these....

It's days like these....

Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

lawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant future
Default Re: It's days like these....

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

No one place will be a panacea. When I lived in Sweden it was pretty much the same; gangs in the press, wories about 'da youf', "oooh look out immigrants" etc. and so on.

I'm anticipating living in East Vancouver come the spring, my girlfriend warns me it's 'pretty Ghetto' but then i've lived in Toxteth, and East Glasgow so it'd have to be pretty bad to worry me.

90% of daily life is pretty much the same the world over, work, kids, eat, sleep and the like. in London the bonus is the culture, in Vancouver hopefully it'll be the climbing, kayaking, and learning to snowboard.

I can't wait.

Perhaps the reason the vancouverites are so happy is the Vancouver Sun. It's the least reactionary (and probably most boring) newspaper i've ever read.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:42 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lawsandjenny
It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

No one place will be a panacea. When I lived in Sweden it was pretty much the same; gangs in the press, wories about 'da youf', "oooh look out immigrants" etc. and so on.

I'm anticipating living in East Vancouver come the spring, my girlfriend warns me it's 'pretty Ghetto' but then i've lived in Toxteth, and East Glasgow so it'd have to be pretty bad to worry me.

90% of daily life is pretty much the same the world over, work, kids, eat, sleep and the like. in London the bonus is the culture, in Vancouver hopefully it'll be the climbing, kayaking, and learning to snowboard.

I can't wait.

Perhaps the reason the vancouverites are so happy is the Vancouver Sun. It's the least reactionary (and probably most boring) newspaper i've ever read.
I've been told that there are some very ghetto parts in Vancouver with people shooting up on the streets, etc. Equally, there are meant to be some really great places over there. I think that is again like everywhere else - there are some good areas and bad areas.

You may be on to something with the Vancouver Sun. I think that a lot of the misery in Britain is emphasised by the negative press which in turns makes people negative about life and causes a viscious circle.

You are right about the daily life comment. It is about the same. Where you will be happiest will depend on how you want to fill the rest 10% of your day!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

lawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant future

Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:24 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loki117
That make me so happy I leave for Canada in 65 days!

Getting up at 5 am. The commute from Reading to London sat next to someone who's legs seem to be open at an impossible angle covering half of the seat that I am sitting in as well as the entire of there own. Fighting through the ticket barrier in Paddington because they only have two working for people going into the tube. Getting on the tube to no seats and people wheeling trolly bags and the stench of people who decided one more day without a shower wasnt pushing it. Almost getting into a fist fight with someone as I try and get off the tube because he doesnt understand the meaning of "keep left".

All of these and more are why I can't wait to say

"See you later London it's been horrible!"

65 Days and counting!

What finally pushed everyone else over the edge?
First started reading your post and thought, that sounds similar to Vancouver. BUT, having commuted to d/t Vancouver from the burbs for many years by various forms of transit, I used to long for the good manners - and most everyone understanding the same language and rules as they used to back in the UK.

Then guess what - I had the misfortune to have to navigate public transit in rush hour in the UK this past April, quite a few times. Omigod, it was way worse than back in Vancouver. Miserable gits, no one lines up anymore, elbows everywhere, swearing and shoving and threatening. It was horrible, and I was glad to get back here and away from it. Oh, and not much English was heard either, especially from the bus drivers!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by startwin
First started reading your post and thought, that sounds similar to Vancouver. BUT, having commuted to d/t Vancouver from the burbs for many years by various forms of transit, I used to long for the good manners - and most everyone understanding the same language and rules as they used to back in the UK.

Then guess what - I had the misfortune to have to navigate public transit in rush hour in the UK this past April, quite a few times. Omigod, it was way worse than back in Vancouver. Miserable gits, no one lines up anymore, elbows everywhere, swearing and shoving and threatening. It was horrible, and I was glad to get back here and away from it. Oh, and not much English was heard either, especially from the bus drivers!
On a recent visit home, I had the Joy of taking the Tube from Heathrow to Upminster.... Yup a full traverse of the system.... From Heathrow - City of London I could swear I was in russia... City of London, Back to fake cockney.... From The City out east, India, Pakistan, etc...

I felt like a total wierdo for speaking English!.... let alone everyone staring at my Ski-bag (well it was mid-summer) thinking I was going to blow the train up!

I do miss one thing about the Tube though..... Knocking the people waiting to get on the tube flying if they dont give you room to get off!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:16 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
On a recent visit home, I had the Joy of taking the Tube from Heathrow to Upminster.... Yup a full traverse of the system.... From Heathrow - City of London I could swear I was in russia... City of London, Back to fake cockney.... From The City out east, India, Pakistan, etc...

I felt like a total wierdo for speaking English!.... let alone everyone staring at my Ski-bag (well it was mid-summer) thinking I was going to blow the train up!

I do miss one thing about the Tube though..... Knocking the people waiting to get on the tube flying if they dont give you room to get off!!
I`m with Loki 100% on this !
He is under no illusion that its going to be some kind of heavenly paradise without any problems whatsoever ! I too am trying to keep things real. But when all is said and done London seems to be getting worse by the month and i for one would rather take a chance on being happy in Canada than feeling an outcast in my (so called) own country.
As Ramsey found out its like we feel out of place speaking English in London anymore :curse: As for the "culture" that so many people keep banging on about ! The bad news is that its disappearing fast because nobody seems to want to integrate but just stay in their own little groups ! (and those little groups are getting bigger and bigger)
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
As Ramsey found out its like we feel out of place speaking English in London anymore :curse: As for the "culture" that so many people keep banging on about ! The bad news is that its disappearing fast because nobody seems to want to integrate but just stay in their own little groups ! (and those little groups are getting bigger and bigger)
I expect you know that, compared to the GTA, all of the UK is a monoculture. It's different here in the sense that, not being part of anything Canadian, we can enjoy the diversity of the place whereas, in the UK, we might pine for an England past. However, it's not sensible to assume that a random Torontonian will speak English and it's not usual to be able to converse with shopkeepers in English.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:37 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
in the UK, we might pine for an England past.
You have hit the nail on the head with that comment !
As for the shopkeepers not speaking English.......my local shopkeeper just grunts then throws my change on the counter (and i think they mutter that i`m a **** in polish)
And before you say it they are probably right
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
You have hit the nail on the head with that comment !
As for the shopkeepers not speaking English.......my local shopkeeper just grunts then throws my change on the counter (and i think they mutter that i`m a **** in polish)
And before you say it they are probably right
Every day my work coleague pop's into the Tim Hortons next door.... Every day he orders a steeped tea with 3 milk and 2 sugars..... Every day he gets to his desk and has got a coffee with 1 milk and 1 sugar (Why he goes back I have no idea!).... The little (East) Indian guy behind the counter has no-idea what people are ordering!.... it's actually quite amusing
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Every day my work coleague pop's into the Tim Hortons next door.... Every day he orders a steeped tea with 3 milk and 2 sugars..... Every day he gets to his desk and has got a coffee with 1 milk and 1 sugar (Why he goes back I have no idea!).... The little (East) Indian guy behind the counter has no-idea what people are ordering!.... it's actually quite amusing
Makes one wonder about your work colleague.

Perhaps he'd be better off printing his order on something the size of a business card or bigger and showing it to the clerk each time.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:07 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic - but is it possible to get a "normal" (english) cup of tea in Canada - language issues when ordering aside....?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:08 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Off topic - but is it possible to get a "normal" (english) cup of tea in Canada - language issues when ordering aside....?
yep, I did manage to get one in TH
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77

Define normal "English" cup of tea.

Even without your definition I would say yes, it is impossible except maybe in Victoria.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Makes one wonder about your work colleague.
Hey... I wonder too... but it makes me laugh

Perhaps he'd be better off printing his order on something the size of a business card or bigger and showing it to the clerk each time.
I think the clerk understands "Sugar" and "Milk".... Quantities dont matter, and if you're asking for those you must be drinking coffee!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Define normal "English" cup of tea.

Even without your definition I would say yes, it is impossible except maybe in Victoria.
A cheap and nasty Tea-Bag brewed in cup for 1min.... with tons of milk and a couple of sugars!

Uuuggghh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.