Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's days like these....

It's days like these....

Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:24 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's days like these....

Originally Posted by MikeUK
amazing..... we were impresed by the families at the local cricket match where we lived in the cotswolds... and now all I see is yobs and gangs hanging around the mall at Jane and Finch.....
Aww how quaint. Was there cold lemonade, and warm beer too, and copies of the Mail on Sunday lying around the club bar ?

Well you could see the same yoots, crack ho's, and badasses hanging around Downtown Kelowna at the right time of day/night, or in certain parts of Rutland. The drunk/high/partying/retarded /cop-baiting crowd.

But teachers obviously don't get around much....

R.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

I was on here complaining about my commute with the answer being that I was fixing it so telling me that if I wanted to fix it that I could is a little bit too late! I could fix it and I have I am now just working out my notice period.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:53 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Aww how quaint. Was there cold lemonade, and warm beer too, and copies of the Mail on Sunday lying around the club bar ?
R.
warm beer and horse and hound
never noticed the lemonade,
mind you could have thought it was a GnT by mistake
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

lawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant futurelawsandjenny has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Loki117;6692972]"See you later London it's been horrible!"[QUOTE]

I hear that.

That said, you should go because you're pulled not because you're pushed.

And everyone in the world should stop reading the Daily Mail. Using any kind of parameter you care to mention, particularly crime, this country has never had it so good.

Crime down. Reporting of Crime waaaaaaaaayyy up. There's a whole thesis in the idea that the 'media space' has expanded exponentially and the 'news' have to be inflated out of all proportion to fill it but that can wait for another day.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:09 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Loki117
That make me so happy I leave for Canada in 65 days!

Getting up at 5 am. The commute from Reading to London sat next to someone who's legs seem to be open at an impossible angle covering half of the seat that I am sitting in as well as the entire of there own. Fighting through the ticket barrier in Paddington because they only have two working for people going into the tube. Getting on the tube to no seats and people wheeling trolly bags and the stench of people who decided one more day without a shower wasnt pushing it. Almost getting into a fist fight with someone as I try and get off the tube because he doesnt understand the meaning of "keep left".

All of these and more are why I can't wait to say

"See you later London it's been horrible!"

65 Days and counting!

What finally pushed everyone else over the edge?
Sounds familiar - that was what pushed us to move to Canada.

Just hope you are not moving to Toronto and plan to spend time downtown - there are a lot of unhygienic people here that you would not want to come within 2 inches with.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=lawsandjenny;6700706][QUOTE=Loki117;6692972]"See you later London it's been horrible!"

I hear that.

That said, you should go because you're pulled not because you're pushed.

And everyone in the world should stop reading the Daily Mail. Using any kind of parameter you care to mention, particularly crime, this country has never had it so good.

Crime down. Reporting of Crime waaaaaaaaayyy up. There's a whole thesis in the idea that the 'media space' has expanded exponentially and the 'news' have to be inflated out of all proportion to fill it but that can wait for another day.
Agreed my heart takes me to Canada for the mountains I love to snowboard but I will be giving the big V to London as I fly out! I think it's mroe the spread of crime these days and violent crime than the amount of crime. As has been said on here there used to be go and no go zones now you just can't tell!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gotoronto
Sounds familiar - that was what pushed us to move to Canada.

Just hope you are not moving to Toronto and plan to spend time downtown - there are a lot of unhygienic people here that you would not want to come within 2 inches with.
There are plenty of those people on the london tube who's armpit my face is normaly wedged into
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's not being exposed to it Butch its it being EVERYWHERE there is a huge difference from knowing something goes on and not being able to walk 5 yards without something reminding you of it.
It's not 'EVERYWHERE' - I live half an hour outside of London but have never encountered any drugs, any yobs or any violence or crime here whatsoever.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:19 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

There are plenty of those people on the london tube who's armpit my face is normaly wedged into
I am sure there are. I am just saying that you should not expect that all the things you hate about London are automatically NOT going to be in Canada. Each place has its problems. One thing I loathe about Toronto, for example, are the crowded cinemas where everyone takes off their shoes (or flip flops)and has their stinky feet hang around for everyone to smell.

I am sure you can come back and counter with something else that is horrible about London's inhabitants.

Your long commute sounds unbearable to me - so I can see how you'd be fed up with it. I was there, done it, got the T-shirt.

Good luck with your move - and I really hope you find what you are looking for here.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not 'EVERYWHERE' - I live half an hour outside of London but have never encountered any drugs, any yobs or any violence or crime here whatsoever.
May I ask how old are you? My problem is that in your early 20s places can look a hell of alot different than they do when you are 30 or over. I dont know what your age is though so could be yet again just my opinion.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gotoronto
I am sure there are. I am just saying that you should not expect that all the things you hate about London are automatically NOT going to be in Canada. Each place has its problems. One thing I loathe about Toronto, for example, are the crowded cinemas where everyone takes off their shoes (or flip flops)and has their stinky feet hang around for everyone to smell.

I am sure you can come back and counter with something else that is horrible about London's inhabitants.

Your long commute sounds unbearable to me - so I can see how you'd be fed up with it. I was there, done it, got the T-shirt.

Good luck with your move - and I really hope you find what you are looking for here.
I totally agree but things like these take a while to become annoying I understand that Canada is not going to be the magic shot in the arm where every day i'm going to skip downs stairs to snowwhite and 12 umpalumpas carry me to work but I do think it will be better than what I currently have.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask how old are you? My problem is that in your early 20s places can look a hell of alot different than they do when you are 30 or over. I dont know what your age is though so could be yet again just my opinion.
Sadly, I'm in the 'over 30's category' - by quite a few years now!! I've just never had a problem where we live and this whole 'culture of yobs' that people talk about is completely alien to me. All of the children I know are incredibly well mannered.

I agree that commuting can be horrendous (did it for years) but again, never had a problem with the people on the tube/train. I always found everybody very polite and certainly when I was pregnant with both of my children they were brilliant, always giving me seats and looked after me when I fainted on a couple of occasions. It was the tube constantly breaking down and being overcrowded that drove me insane!

I'm not saying this applies to you but I do think a lot of people seem to have rose tinted glasses on and think all of the social problems that occur in the UK will magically disappear when they go to Canada - I remember the weekend when there were 5 stabbings in London recently and people came on here outraged and saying 'this is exactly why we're leaving'.............conveniently ignoring that on the same weekend in Vancouver there were also several stabbings and 2 shootings, and 4 stabbings in Toronto!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:27 pm
Elusive dreamer

I totally agree but things like these take a while to become annoying I understand that Canada is not going to be the magic shot in the arm where every day i'm going to skip downs stairs to snowwhite and 12 umpalumpas carry me to work but I do think it will be better than what I currently have.
LOL... I wished that magical place existed. If you find it, please let me know.

Certainly you seem to have less rose-tinted glasses on than we did, which is good!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

i'm going to skip downs stairs to snowwhite and 12 umpalumpas carry me to work
Does that not happen in Canada then? Dammit, I'm not going now!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:32 pm
Elusive dreamer

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sadly, I'm in the 'over 30's category' - by quite a few years now!! I've just never had a problem where we live and this whole 'culture of yobs' that people talk about is completely alien to me. All of the children I know are incredibly well mannered.

I agree that commuting can be horrendous (did it for years) but again, never had a problem with the people on the tube/train. I always found everybody very polite and certainly when I was pregnant with both of my children they were brilliant, always giving me seats and looked after me when I fainted on a couple of occasions. It was the tube constantly breaking down and being overcrowded that drove me insane!

I'm not saying this applies to you but I do think a lot of people seem to have rose tinted glasses on and think all of the social problems that occur in the UK will magically disappear when they go to Canada - I remember the weekend when there were 5 stabbings in London recently and people came on here outraged and saying 'this is exactly why we're leaving'.............conveniently ignoring that on the same weekend in Vancouver there were also several stabbings and 2 shootings, and 4 stabbings in Toronto!!
I have to admit, I have rarely seen anyone giving up a seat for a pregnant person in London. I did once faint on a train, though, and I was really well looked after with these women getting me water and mints and making sure my husband met me on the other end of the train journey. Your story remined me of that, actually!

I agree with the rose tinted glasses issue, though. We thought it was going to be a magical solution to come here. You just replace one social problem for another, really. Which place suits you better really does depend on your own attitude to life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.