Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's days like these....

It's days like these....

Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default It's days like these....

That make me so happy I leave for Canada in 65 days!

Getting up at 5 am. The commute from Reading to London sat next to someone who's legs seem to be open at an impossible angle covering half of the seat that I am sitting in as well as the entire of there own. Fighting through the ticket barrier in Paddington because they only have two working for people going into the tube. Getting on the tube to no seats and people wheeling trolly bags and the stench of people who decided one more day without a shower wasnt pushing it. Almost getting into a fist fight with someone as I try and get off the tube because he doesnt understand the meaning of "keep left".

All of these and more are why I can't wait to say

"See you later London it's been horrible!"

65 Days and counting!

What finally pushed everyone else over the edge?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's days like these....

The same things that you describe plus extremely rude and aggressive youngsters. No regard for other people's space and dignity plus many more things. Most of all I don't want to raise my sixteen year old son in a society that thinks resorting to the use of fists, knives and guns is acceptable behaviour.

Ruby
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
The same things that you describe plus extremely rude and aggressive youngsters. No regard for other people's space and dignity plus many more things. Most of all I don't want to raise my sixteen year old son in a society that thinks resorting to the use of fists, knives and guns is acceptable behaviour.
Ruby
You wont be moving to The 'Big 4' Canadian cities then?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You wont be moving to The 'Big 4' Canadian cities then?
The difference is though Butch to some extent in Canada money can buy you out of that sort of problem IE you can move to a community like the north shore. No matter how much £ you have in the UK there isnt really anywhere (within reason not the shetland isles) that you can get away too.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:32 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loki117
The difference is though Butch to some extent in Canada money can buy you out of that sort of problem IE you can move to a community like the north shore. No matter how much £ you have in the UK there isnt really anywhere (within reason not the shetland isles) that you can get away too.
So there's no violence on the north shore? By living there you're not going to come across or hear about violent crimes? There'll be no chance of exposure to Meth? Crack? Heroin? let alone 'soft recreational' drug use?

I live in one of the 'big 4' btw. So I already know what money can (and cant) do for you here.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Aug 19th 2008 at 8:34 am.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

So there's no violence on the north shore? By living there you're not going to come across or hear about violent crimes? There'll be no chance of exposure to Meth? Crack? Heroin? let alone 'soft recreational' drug use?

I live in one of the 'big 4' btw. So I already know what money can (and cant) do for you here.
It's not being exposed to it Butch its it being EVERYWHERE there is a huge difference from knowing something goes on and not being able to walk 5 yards without something reminding you of it.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:44 am
Banned

It's not being exposed to it Butch its it being EVERYWHERE there is a huge difference from knowing something goes on and not being able to walk 5 yards without something reminding you of it.
Well good luck when the rose tinted spectacles come off

Dont get me wrong I'm not saying for a minute that TO, Montreal, Van, Calgary etc have the prevelance of 'problems' that London, Brum, Manchester, Glasgow etc have BUT once you 'open your eyes' you will see this aint no Utopia (ok maybe Kelowna is but thats a different story and goes back to the whole recreational drug theme).

Got to admit took a while for the scales to fall away from my eyes, but now I see the 'failings' within the city and realise that you'll never escape the 'darkside' of humanity.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Well good luck when the rose tinted spectacles come off

Dont get me wrong I'm not saying for a minute that TO, Montreal, Van, Calgary etc have the prevelance of 'problems' that London, Brum, Manchester, Glasgow etc have BUT once you 'open your eyes' you will see this aint no Utopia (ok maybe Kelowna is but thats a different story and goes back to the whole recreational drug theme).

Got to admit took a while for the scales to fall away from my eyes, but now I see the 'failings' within the city and realise that you'll never escape the 'darkside' of humanity.

But it is better than

Glasgow - I was born and raised until I was 18
London - Where I have worked for 7 years
Birmingham - Where my OH is from and where we frequent twice a month.

Everywhere has failings and you chose them depending on your tolerence level I have had more than my fair share of violence having lived and loved in the areas above I dont for a minute think that Vancouver can be as bad. I understand it has a homeless problem but it doesnt get voted one of the best cities in the world for no reason because it has so many up sides which compensate for the downs.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:08 am
Banned

But it is better than

Glasgow - I was born and raised until I was 18
London - Where I have worked for 7 years
Birmingham - Where my OH is from and where we frequent twice a month.

Everywhere has failings and you chose them depending on your tolerence level I have had more than my fair share of violence having lived and loved in the areas above I dont for a minute think that Vancouver can be as bad. I understand it has a homeless problem but it doesnt get voted one of the best cities in the world for no reason because it has so many up sides which compensate for the downs.
I would (probably) NEVER return to live in the UK. Partially because of the percieved level of anti-social behaviour but mainly because of the pervading attitude that 'its not my fault'. IMHO if you dont like it f'in well do something about it, if that means emigratign great, if it means tackling the issues (head on or by campaigning) sweet, educating your 'next generation'? . Just DONT sit there and whinge and expect someone else to solve what essentially are your problems (in so much as YOU dont like it).

Yeah there are problems here, but by and large the community (please dont expect ANY govt here to do ANYTHING) gets involved in helping support the more vulnerable (homeless\victims of abuse) to a greater degree than I ever witnessed in the UK.

As far as 'buying' your way out of the 'trouble'? Grow-ops in EVERY community. At least two of the Homicides that have happened in Calgary in 2008 where in affluent subdivisions (both gang related).

I guess what I'm trying to say (and my first post was for the mother of the 16 year old) is that violence does exist here in Canada and if trying to escape it is the ONLY reason for moving here then seriously think again.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I
I guess what I'm trying to say (and my first post was for the mother of the 16 year old) is that violence does exist here in Canada and if trying to escape it is the ONLY reason for moving here then seriously think again.
No, Butch- I long for wide open spaces as I grew up in South Africa and would like to feel close to nature again. In the UK almost all greenspace has been taken over by new builds and greed. I have many more reasons and I am not looking at Canada with rose coloured glasses but I have been an immigrant in the UK for the past twenty three years and I am reminded of it every day.

Ruby
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by RubyRose
No, Butch- I long for wide open spaces as I grew up in South Africa and would like to feel close to nature again. In the UK almost all greenspace has been taken over by new builds and greed. I have many more reasons and I am not looking at Canada with rose coloured glasses but I have been an immigrant in the UK for the past twenty three years and I am reminded of it every day.

Ruby
Dont expect that to change here either
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:46 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

The general ignorance and rude behaviour of British society confirmed for me that we're doing the right thing.... Being called "gay" by some youths for holding hands with my then 18 month old son who'd just learned to walk being just but one example...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Butch is there anything you could say about canada that is positive, i've read many of your posts and most of them are negative about canada. If its so bad then why are you still there?????
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by G77
The general ignorance and rude behaviour of British society confirmed for me that we're doing the right thing.... Being called "gay" by some youths for holding hands with my then 18 month old son who'd just learned to walk being just but one example...
There is that side to it as well I often parents holding the hands of there kids (and I'm not talking small kids either) and its seen as perfectly normal. Family here SEEMS more important and people do far more as a family.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
Hi
Butch is there anything you could say about canada that is positive, i've read many of your posts and most of them are negative about canada. If its so bad then why are you still there?????
I doubt thats true at all.

I prefer to say my posts come down in the middle. (Especially these days).

OK you want positive thoughts?

1) Family is still important
2) Parents respect their kids far more
3) The weather is way better
4) The skiing is awesome
5) The whole country is generally cleaner
6) The Federal Govt has far less influence than the National Govt in the UK
7) I (and many people I know) have a better STANDARD of living here than in the UK
8) I LOVE CANADA (that positive enough for you )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.