Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's days like these....

It's days like these....

Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's days like these....

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Dont get me wrong I'm not saying for a minute that TO, Montreal, Van, Calgary etc have the prevelance of 'problems' that London, Brum, Manchester, Glasgow etc have BUT once you 'open your eyes' you will see this aint no Utopia (ok maybe Kelowna is but thats a different story and goes back to the whole recreational drug theme).
Easy there big boy, it's just a different way of life out here.

You urbanites are all too wrapped up in yourselves, just let it all hang out and be free. People come here (to Kelowna) to party and play outdoor games. Less of the urban hassle, you know ?

Chill, man. Life's too short to spend it on work, commute, stress, hassle.

Oh, and you people who come on here whining about your commute - nobody makes you commute through these godforsaken hovels with the stinking rude angry masses. If you wanted to drop out, you would.

R.

Last edited by Rich_007; Aug 19th 2008 at 2:42 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Oh, and you people who come on here whining about your commute - nobody makes you commute through these godforsaken hovels with the stinking rude angry masses. If you wanted to drop out, you would.
Actually, I'm bound to my commute, my hovel and jostling with hoi polloi by court order.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:45 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Easy there big boy, it's just a different way of life out here.

You urbanites are all too wrapped up in yourselves, just let it all hang out and be free. People come here (to Kelowna) to party and play outdoor games. Less of the urban hassle, you know ?

Chill, man. Life's too short to spend it on work, commute, stress, hassle.

R.
Hey Dude, I aint no Urbonite, I ls a SubUrBanate init. I is dwon wiv da NordWist Posay. I dont do non ov dat commuta stylee Hassle wiv da stressmeister a dansis tu ma hown toon.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:48 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hey Dude, I aint no Urbonite, I ls a SubUrBanate init. I is dwon wiv da NordWist Posay. I dont do non ov dat commuta stylee Hassle wiv da stressmeister a dansis tu ma hown toon.
Me no tink you was da cash society bro, I as been fully corrected and all is cool man. Respec tha man Butch in tha ouse.

R.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
Actually, I'm bound to my commute, my hovel and jostling with hoi polloi by court order.
Yes, but you actually enjoy that part don't you ?

R.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but you actually enjoy that part don't you ?

R.
I do. I just love it in the mornings when that skinny woman leans into my open car and offers to suck me for a cigarette. I love it when the traffic light beggars spit on my windows because I give them no money. I delight in seeing customers removed from Harvey's with the claw so as to reduce the risk of them biting the staff.

"Thank God I'm not in Vancouver", I think, "they say it's rough there".
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:40 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loki117
That make me so happy I leave for Canada in 65 days!

Getting up at 5 am. The commute from Reading to London sat next to someone who's legs seem to be open at an impossible angle covering half of the seat that I am sitting in as well as the entire of there own. Fighting through the ticket barrier in Paddington because they only have two working for people going into the tube. Getting on the tube to no seats and people wheeling trolly bags and the stench of people who decided one more day without a shower wasnt pushing it. Almost getting into a fist fight with someone as I try and get off the tube because he doesnt understand the meaning of "keep left".

All of these and more are why I can't wait to say

"See you later London it's been horrible!"

65 Days and counting!

What finally pushed everyone else over the edge?
I totally agree - 7 years ago I was travelling from Hertfordshire to London every day and the aggression on the trains when there were delays of any kind was beyond tolerable. Then I came home one night and my husband said that he had a telephone interview for a job in Calgary what did I think - I said don't fail the interview I am really to get out of here.

We are still here and I am so much more laid back, all of that is just a bad memory. Canadians are so much more polite there is no aggression on the C-train, buses and I travel on public transport every day. The bus driver says hello to you and then when you get off everyone says thank you to the driver and he wishes you a nice day. I could not go back to commuting in London if they paid me a king's ransom.

There is less aggression generally in Canada - maybe its something to do with more space. But I really think that Canadians have better manners and more respect. I have even asked a teenager to put his feet down from the seat in front on the C-train and he said oh sorry and did just that - no swearing or trying to throw me under the train when we got off.

This is much more of a polite society - well that's my findings but I am sure that there will be some who will not agree.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:47 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jancal
There is less aggression generally in Canada - maybe its something to do with more space. But I really think that Canadians have better manners and more respect. I have even asked a teenager to put his feet down from the seat in front on the C-train and he said oh sorry and did just that - no swearing or trying to throw me under the train when we got off.
Bus drivers have probably been my single biggest revelation in Canada. In London, they only seemed to be doing the job as part of meeting their parole conditions; here they're actually like real human beings. Weird.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:48 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loki117
No matter how much £ you have in the UK there isnt really anywhere (within reason not the shetland isles) that you can get away too.
You're not looking very hard if you think that's the case.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
You're not looking very hard if you think that's the case.
We were discussing commuting were we not. Of course if you can afford to live and work in a nice area you will not be subjected to conditions discussed but thousands have to commute everyday in the UK and that's when the worst is brought out in people.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree - 7 years ago I was travelling from Hertfordshire to London every day and the aggression on the trains when there were delays of any kind was beyond tolerable. Then I came home one night and my husband said that he had a telephone interview for a job in Calgary what did I think - I said don't fail the interview I am really to get out of here.

We are still here and I am so much more laid back, all of that is just a bad memory. Canadians are so much more polite there is no aggression on the C-train, buses and I travel on public transport every day. The bus driver says hello to you and then when you get off everyone says thank you to the driver and he wishes you a nice day. I could not go back to commuting in London if they paid me a king's ransom.

This is much more of a polite society - well that's my findings but I am sure that there will be some who will not agree.
Hi
I've read so many posts that say that about the kids in canada, its great to hear, some of the kids are vile here and i don't want mine to end up like it.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:00 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
I delight in seeing customers removed from Harvey's with the claw so as to reduce the risk of them biting the staff.
Thinks. Ponders Harveys. Rewrites:

I delight in seeing employees removed from Harvey's with the claw so as to reduce the risk of them biting the customers.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
Hi
I've read so many posts that say that about the kids in canada, its great to hear, some of the kids are vile here and i don't want mine to end up like it.
Sorry to go off topic but - Yes I would say that generally kids are so much more polite and respectful and as I said previously if you ask them not to do something you do not get a string of abuse but a sorry! I have just had a friend over from Manchester with us in our place in Kelowna and she was so impressed with the fact that the City has provided a water park by the lake and that there were families there - no yobs and chip papers everywhere. And she is a teacher and has two boys.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:15 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had a friend over from Manchester with us in our place in Kelowna and she was so impressed with the fact that the City has provided a water park by the lake and that there were families there - no yobs and chip papers everywhere. And she is a teacher and has two boys.
amazing..... we were impresed by the families at the local cricket match where we lived in the cotswolds... and now all I see is yobs and gangs hanging around the mall at Jane and Finch.....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

We were discussing commuting were we not.
So was I.

Of course if you can afford to live and work in a nice area you will not be subjected to conditions discussed but thousands have to commute everyday in the UK and that's when the worst is brought out in people.
When working in the UK, I commuted in and out of rural and urban areas and never experienced issues described that would have been a prime motivator to emigrate. It's not necessarily a matter of wealth in order to have a good quality of life, or an easier commute.

Most folk have the ability to choose where to live, where to work and what compromises they're willing to make to ensure a lifestyle that's acceptable to them. The times I needed to take the train into London weren't a whole lot of fun, and I could have chosen to work and commute there permanently, but it would have been to the detriment of my quality of life, so I chose not to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.