Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"iPlayer loophole" to close

"iPlayer loophole" to close

Old Dec 16th 2015, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

zymurgy is an unknown quantity at this point
Post "iPlayer loophole" to close

Recent articles indicate that the Beeb is likely to close the "iPlayer loophole" (ie. non licence payers using the service). In future it appears that a code will be given to UK licence payers in order to allow them to access iPlayer from wherever they are. The implications sound bad for those of us "Over here" who use VPN's or whatever to connect to BBC programming. Anyone heard more about this?
Old Dec 16th 2015, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "iPlayer loophole" to close

Originally Posted by zymurgy
Recent articles indicate that the Beeb is likely to close the "iPlayer loophole" (ie. non licence payers using the service). In future it appears that a code will be given to UK licence payers in order to allow them to access iPlayer from wherever they are. The implications sound bad for those of us "Over here" who use VPN's or whatever to connect to BBC programming. Anyone heard more about this?
No.

I am OK, I have a friend or two in the UK.

I have no idea why the Beeb doesn't allow a subscription service. Think of all the additional revenue that could generate.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

I imagine there could be a considerable "black market" in paying someone (or some business) $ towards the licence fee in return for the appropriate code.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the Hola service that tricks the Beeb into thinking I'm still in the UK won't work.

I'm sure that BE members in the UK will share their codes with us.

ITV has a requirement for a post code when you log in but there are a number of codes that seem to work and are shared with people on the internet.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 8:54 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have no idea why the Beeb doesn't allow a subscription service.
...cuz they get lots of free money from the British public in the form of TV License fees - something that is a pain in the butt to pay. Which I can safely say was one of the reasons why I left Britain
Old Dec 16th 2015, 10:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine there could be a considerable "black market" in paying someone (or some business) $ towards the licence fee in return for the appropriate code.
Rather like the current fee paying services.

Originally Posted by Edo
...cuz they get lots of free money from the British public in the form of TV License fees
But then why close the loophole.

The subscription need only apply to people abroad. Why not take money from them rather than spend money to prevent access? That people are willing to pay monthly fees to dodgy services (when they don't actually need to) should indicate that they'd happily pay BBC for a legit service.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The subscription need only apply to people abroad. Why not take money from them rather than spend money to prevent access? That people are willing to pay monthly fees to dodgy services (when they don't actually need to) should indicate that they'd happily pay BBC for a legit service.
It may well conflict with their agreements with networks in other countries. Plus they may only have rights to broadcast a show in the UK, if it's a co-production with other broadcasters.

Ah, all the joy and delights of companies trying to maintain regional rights in a global world...
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea why the Beeb doesn't allow a subscription service. Think of all the additional revenue that could generate.
I think it's a missed opportunity. I would happily pay a fee directly to the Beeb for all their products - I know the reason they don't allow it is because of the agreements they are in with other corporations around the world to sell their stuff, but I won't currently pay for BBCCanada because it's too limited.

Please take my money Beeb.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
It may well conflict with their agreements with networks in other countries. Plus they may only have rights to broadcast a show in the UK, if it's a co-production with other broadcasters.
Then don't include that show on iPlayer just as there are things on BBC radio but sometimes some of it is not accessible abroad. Or like certain sports events are available on Canadian TV but sometimes the coverage is blocked.

But the "closing " of the loophole involves making it available to people while abroad if they can show they've paid the licence fee.

It would be available to view abroad via iPlayer just as it already is.

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 16th 2015 at 11:56 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
but I won't currently pay for BBCCanada because it's too limited.
A sorry excuse of a channel now. Endless Top Gear and Border Security and Holmes on Holmes. Years ago they showed things like Saxondale and League of Gentlemen.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

So when the "new" iPlayer asks you for your TV licence code #, what will you type? What they're getting at is it won't matter if you spoof a UK IP address anymore, everyone will have to log in using licence credentials. This is reportedly a year or more in the future however, so things may change.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:11 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Then don't include that show on iPlayer just as there are things on BBC radio but sometimes some of it is not accessible abroad. Or like certain sports events are available on Canadian TV but sometimes the coverage is blocked.

But the "closing " of the loophole involves making it available to people while abroad if they can show they've paid the licence fee.

Almost anything worth watching is probably sold to someone in your market. free-to-air channel, cable channel, netflix like online channel, DVD rights. So BBC can not let that program come from them, because they have sold the rights.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:22 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Years ago they showed things like Saxondale and League of Gentlemen.
Loved the League of Gentlemen. I don't like BBC iplayer very much compared to Channel4od - at least on 4od you can watch entire TV series like 'peep show', 'This is England' Its been a good few months since I used iplayer so probably wont miss it
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

I am OK, I have a friend or two in the UK.

I wish they would do this - I'd willing pay them a couple of hundred dollars a year for legit iplayer access.

Anyway, last time I asked this question I was told that licensing was a big part of the problem. Sporting events, movies, foreign tv shows, even things commissioned by the bbc but made by external production companies - apparently most contracts have some restrictions and don't just allow the bbc to broadcast wherever/whenever they like; especially if they are going to be charging for it.

If all that stuff needs to be renegotiated before they support international subscriptions I can understand why they are taking their time about it.

(this all may be bollocks of course, but it seemed believable to me)
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:26 am
Oscar nominated

So when the "new" iPlayer asks you for your TV licence code #, what will you type? What they're getting at is it won't matter if you spoof a UK IP address anymore, everyone will have to log in using licence credentials. This is reportedly a year or more in the future however, so things may change.
My comment was in response to the suggestion that there might be shows that they cannot broadcast for viewing abroad. I was just making the point that this would not affect it since putting a code in will enable the viewing abroad of such a production.

That aside, is it so difficult to use the code of someone you know back in the UK. Unless they start saying "Here, Mrs Jones, you're spending rather a lot of time abroad aren't you?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.