Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"iPlayer loophole" to close

"iPlayer loophole" to close

Old Jan 7th 2016, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "iPlayer loophole" to close

Originally Posted by sharkus
As soon as the iPlayer app appeared on the tvOS App Store I grabbed a copy to see if Unblock-us would work, and as others have stated, so far it does appear to work

I'm quite happy with my Netflix and unblockus setup, have been using it for a few years and the only things I really miss is F1 coverage via TSN, and (Ask) This Old House. The latter I can and have watched using the apps on the apple TV, the former, well, I downloaded a couple of last years races, but didn't bother with most. Which is unusual as I usually would watch them all. Not sure what I'll do this year for F1, perhaps just not bother? (I really wish they would come out with a decent streaming service, I'm sure people would happily pay for good quality and legal streams of F1 races, plus advert free as well)

One other advantage of Netflix is that I gave my 3rd gen Apple TV to my girlfriend, and signed her into my Netflix account. As you can be watching on up to two screens at a time (can expand it to four by paying more) then I can be in my apartment and she can be in hers and we can use the same Netflix account. Not bad for around $8 a month.
Criminal rather harsh co conspirator as you are willingly let her use your account.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:38 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Criminal rather harsh co conspirator as you are willingly let her use your account.
Cheeky sod

Ignoring unblock-us, which only I can use anyway (it's based on your IP address, so you cannot use it in two locations at the same tine), Netflix themselves are actually fine with two people in two different locations using the same account. The plan I'm on allows for two "screens" to be used with the same account at the same time, and I explained the situation to them, and they said it was fine.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky sod

Ignoring unblock-us, which only I can use anyway (it's based on your IP address, so you cannot use it in two locations at the same tine), Netflix themselves are actually fine with two people in two different locations using the same account. The plan I'm on allows for two "screens" to be used with the same account at the same time, and I explained the situation to them, and they said it was fine.
You mean if I was to subscribe to unblock-us at something like $4.99 a month and have a Netflix account I can watch all Netflix regions? Surely not too many people are doing this
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:30 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

You mean if I was to subscribe to unblock-us at something like $4.99 a month and have a Netflix account I can watch all Netflix regions? Surely not too many people are doing this
Correct. They have a free seven day trial, so you can give it a whirl and see if you like it.

The basic flow is that you setup their DNS address on whatever device(s) you want to region switch (it will work with other services too, I was able to get iPlayer to work by switching the region to the UK), and then go to their website, login, it'll pick up your IP address, and you change the region to whatever ones Netflix supports. You then run Netflix on the device you changed the DNS on, and away you go, you're in that region.

I usually connect to their website from my iPhone which is connected to my wifi network, and that has a mobile version of the site that allows for quick switching of region.

Some people will put in the DNS entry on their router, so that *all* devices will pick up the selected region. I've only set it on my Apple TV, my xbox is set to it's defaults, so it's always on it's "home" Netflix region, which is Canada.

One could argue doing this kind of thing is a little naughty. However, one legitimate reason could be for you travelling to another country, say the UK, and wanting to view media from Canada. Without unblock-us, (or something similar) you could not do that. I think this is a possible reason why Netflix does not seemingly do too much about VPN's and things like this, as there is a legitimate reason, albeit probably used by a very small minority of users.

I seem to recall some head honcho at Bell found their daughter was using a "vpn" to watch content outside of Canada. I fully suspect that they were using unblock-us and netflix. The Bell person phrased it as their child "stealing" and put a stop to it. I do wonder if they asked the child why they were doing it. I suspect it was simply to view something not in the CAD system. Part of me suspects that the parent put a stop to it because they were upset their child didn't use Crave TV, then again, who does?

Last edited by sharkus; Jan 8th 2016 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I use a VPN account with HMA (details set up on a second router) and for the most part this has worked pretty well. BBCiplayer works with Xbox360, PC, Iphone but for some reason recently the Ipad doesn't work when connected the same way. Anyone else fixed a similar issue?
Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:12 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar problem once, some devices working and some not and the solution for me was to disable IPV6. Might be worth a try.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:57 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky sod

We do the same thing. We share an account with my parents, so cheaper for all of us. We often have two "screens" going at the same time, but only once in the past two years have we run into the not enough screens problem. Works great. And Netflix doesn't seem to notice/care that the account globetrots like mad!

THis is exactly what we do too, just with Unotelly instead of Unblock-US, but they are pretty much the same service. My parents use it as well... and Unotelly also launched a companion site for Netflix, www.filmefy.com, where you can search for a movie or TV show and it will tell you which Netflix region(s) host that content. Super convenient.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zymurgy
Recent articles indicate that the Beeb is likely to close the "iPlayer loophole" (ie. non licence payers using the service). In future it appears that a code will be given to UK licence payers in order to allow them to access iPlayer from wherever they are. The implications sound bad for those of us "Over here" who use VPN's or whatever to connect to BBC programming. Anyone heard more about this?
BBC Iplayer was working for me for 2 or 3 days and now is back to being blocked. The ITV player works though. Jeremy Kyle marathon here I come
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

We are having issues here too - I just started a thread before seeing this.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get the message "You can only watch BBC if in UK" or something to that effect? I delete cookies and then BBC works fine. Bit tiresome as have to do more often but worth it for the programming.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - only available in the Uk.

Have tried deleting cookies/cache. Am using the iPad and it won't work from either the app or webpage.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched ronnie o'sullivan thrash that other bloke in the masters final on sunday using iplayer. Not checked since then though.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:35 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

We're still ok on UnblockUs.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Still good on unotelly.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Still good on unotelly.
and unblockus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.