Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing a car from the US

Importing a car from the US

Old Jul 4th 2018, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough
Default Importing a car from the US

Anyone imported a used car bought from a private seller in the US into Canada in the last 12 months (since they introduced the new documentation)? Would be interested in any experiences, good or bad, and hints / tips please. (Car we want is admissable, and not part of the Takata debacle).
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car from the US

Originally Posted by mcdavis
Anyone imported a used car bought from a private seller in the US into Canada in the last 12 months (since they introduced the new documentation)? Would be interested in any experiences, good or bad, and hints / tips please. (Car we want is admissable, and not part of the Takata debacle).
I did, last November. I previously posted my experience, will see if I can find that.

On edit: Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 4th 2018 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

Great. Thanks for the link. Will take a look.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Great. Thanks for the link. Will take a look.
My car being RIV exempt may mean that the paperwork requirements are different from yours. I had the car picked up by TFX, a Toronto based car shipping company. They import cars every day and are not in the business of paying truck drivers to sit at the border; they will know exactly what documents you need. If you're going to drive the car up then my suggestion would be to engage a customs broker to shepherd you in to Canada. I'd think a fee of less than $500 would be money well spent to make any hassle go away.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Car would need to be shipped up so thinkingi t may be easier to get a shipping company to do the whole thing.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Car would need to be shipped up so thinkingi t may be easier to get a shipping company to do the whole thing.
That's what I thought and I was very impressed with TFX. Car arrived when promised, in the condition promised. Photos available of condition at pick up. Friendly and helpful driver. It was like they'd done this before.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 12:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Last weekend! We imported a Chrysler Crossfire from Ohio...it's my son's first car! He's very proud! My husband said the paperwork was remarkably straightforward and phoned the border crossing a couple of times with queries and they could not have been more helpful. From the moment they got the transfer of sale papers registered they had to wait 72 hours before taking the car into Canada...they drove quite quickly so had to cool their heels at the border for a couple of hours...72 hours and 5 minutes later they were in Canada. I think my husband is planning on doing it again soon as he said the whole thing was an enjoyable jaunt. If I can help with a specific question don't hesitate to ask. I will talk to him tonight and come back. I know he used an online company to do a search on the cars they were looking at and got the papers witnessed by a commissioner for oaths which was cheap but apparently made the border processing much easier.