Reload this Page >

Canada Tax Return - Stay at home Mum

Canada Tax Return - Stay at home Mum

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Drthorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Tax Return - Stay at home Mum

Hi All,

Looking for a little advice. We moved to Canada in Jan 2017 (Visa's started in Nov 2016) and I am wondering if we have messed up regarding out Tax return. As part of my re-location package we had a third party file out tax returns for the last two years, however it would appear that despite asking for my wife's information no return was filed for her.

My wife had no Canadian Income in 2016 or 2017 as she was a stay at home Mum but I am wondering what issues we have caused from not returning anything. Can this be resolved by filling the relevant paper work retrospectively? We are in the process of claiming child tax benefit (now we are eligible) so assuming this will be effected.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 1:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Tax Return - Stay at home Mum

We experienced something similar. Canada Revenue actually said they didn't need a return from me (the Brit awaiting PR and initially on visitor status and then no status but allowed to stay) just a statement of my income (nil) for my wife's (the Canadian) tax returns.

Then the child benefit she was receiving was royally messed up, suspended, put back into payment and suspended again, paid again and then similar for GST refunds. They decided they did want returns for me after all and they were done retrospectively after I had to apply for a SIN that I wouldn't get but the refusal was needed for a temporary SIN.

It happened to quite a few of us. There are a couple of threads somewhere.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks that helps.

We have our SIN numbers but simply (wrongly) assumed our accountants had done the submission for my wife (even though it was 0). Is it just best to call them to explain the situation. Note we are living in BC (not sure if this makes any difference). Also making the assumption we won't get a fine or anything given no tax was owed.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife really should file her own tax return, even if she is a stay-at-home mother.

It gets her in the system because she might well return to work at a later period.

I've filed my own tax return since we arrived in BC in late August 1968 although I didn't start work until May 1969 ............ ie, I earned no money in Canada for the year ending December 1968.

In fact, the tax returns used to be easy enough that I could do them for both of us, and I'm no whiz at such things (science background!). I did them until we went on sabbatical in mid-1975-mid-1976, when we handed everything over to an accountant who was well known to us.

Last edited by scilly; Jul 3rd 2018 at 3:13 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you. I guess my key question is, can my wife fill out her 2017 tax return retrospectively and will be any penalty? She got a job this year so will be filling one out for the 2018 tax year.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drthorne
Thank you. I guess my key question is, can my wife fill out her 2017 tax return retrospectively and will be any penalty? She got a job this year so will be filling one out for the 2018 tax year.

Regards
My understanding is that there is only a penalty filing late if you owe tax, which presumably she won’t.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drthorne
We have our SIN numbers....
Should be much easier then.
Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
My understanding is that there is only a penalty filing late if you owe tax, which presumably she won’t.
Yes, that sounds right. I have read many a time that if you don't have enough income to pay tax you don't actually need to complete a return (how anyone knows that is another matter) it's just that you wouldn't get child benefit, GST refunds and the like.
Just use one of the on line Tax thingies - TurboTax, SimpleTax etc. Very simple. The basic free ones are more than adequate, especially for nil income.

Forgot to mention....the tax return will ask for spouse's income. So you'll need access to your return to be able to enter that bit.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 3rd 2018 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

CRA only cares if you owe them money.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all that really helps. She is going to speak to the CRA tomorrow to clarify. I am hopeful that she can submit here 2017 tax return to at least get her registered on the system thus allowing for our Child Benifit claim to be processed.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
CRA only cares if you owe them money.
Even if you do owe money, better to go to them than they come for you!
Old Jul 7th 2018, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what your status is, but if if you might ever plan on becoming citizens then it's a good idea to get yourselves in the CRA system ab initio. The citizenship application asks whether you've been paying taxes, and any gaps might cause confusion...