Reload this Page >

Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Sparky-UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Hi All,
Has any one imported a car into Canada from the UK recently?, please could you let me know what documentation you needed to clear Canadian Customs?
I'm looking to import a classic car as a non running project car, It's listed on my B4 goods to follow and I have the V5 but no receipt of purchase. Is the V5 enough?

Also does anyone know of any car storage facilities in the Ottawa area that will take a non running project car (some require cars to be running when they arrive)?

Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 9th 2017, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Have fun reading these links

Memorandum D19-12-1 - Importation of Vehicles

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...ation-1344.htm
Old Nov 10th 2017, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

On Tuesday I imported an older British car from the US. I have little tolerance for forms so I paid a customs broker $300 + the form 1 charge (<$30) to make it happen. I should think a customs broker could sort out importation from anywhere.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Well that cured my insomnia
Thanks for the links Former Lancastrian, the car is over 15 years old, so there shouldn't be any problems there. I've got a company in mind for the pre-export cleaning. The only thing is I am having trouble finding the original receipt so I was wondering if the V5 was enough.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
On Tuesday I imported an older British car from the US. I have little tolerance for forms so I paid a customs broker $300 + the form 1 charge (<$30) to make it happen. I should think a customs broker could sort out importation from anywhere.
thats a good tip many thanks, did the broker ask you for any of the cars documents?
I'm having trouble finding the original receipt.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparky-UK
thats a good tip many thanks, did the broker ask you for any of the cars documents?
I'm having trouble finding the original receipt.
Yes. I used a shipping company to pick the car up in Florida and they subcontracted the customs broker. The documents they required were:

- Bill of Sale marked "Paid in Full" with the price paid, that was for the tax calculation which I suppose would not apply to goods to follow as they're not taxable.

- Title signed over to me. Again I think this wouldn't apply as you'll have a proof of ownership document, the V5.

- NAFTA letter, a standard letter having to do with parts made in Mexico. It looked to me as if it didn't apply but I signed it anyway.

Other cars I've imported required a letter from the maker stating that all recalls had been satisfied but this one was "RIV exempt" for being more than 15 years old. Note that the car is now here but I haven't attempted to get plates for it yet, that may be a new adventure in bureaucracy.

What type of car are you importing?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Yes. I used a shipping company to pick the car up in Florida and they subcontracted the customs broker. The documents they required were:

- Bill of Sale marked "Paid in Full" with the price paid, that was for the tax calculation which I suppose would not apply to goods to follow as they're not taxable.

- Title signed over to me. Again I think this wouldn't apply as you'll have a proof of ownership document, the V5.

- NAFTA letter, a standard letter having to do with parts made in Mexico. It looked to me as if it didn't apply but I signed it anyway.

Other cars I've imported required a letter from the maker stating that all recalls had been satisfied but this one was "RIV exempt" for being more than 15 years old. Note that the car is now here but I haven't attempted to get plates for it yet, that may be a new adventure in bureaucracy.

What type of car are you importing?
Thanks DBD33,
Sounds like I might need to keep looking for that receipt
Good luck with getting it registered, keep us posted on how you get on!

I'm hoping to import a 1966 VW Type3 Squareback
What toy did you get?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Sparky-UK
Thanks DBD33,
Sounds like I might need to keep looking for that receipt
Good luck with getting it registered, keep us posted on how you get on!

I'm hoping to import a 1966 VW Type3 Squareback
What toy did you get?
Austin-Healey 100/6, see attached.

I would think that you'd only need the receipt to prove that you've owned the car long enough for it to be exempt from import duties, maybe you can do that with the date on the V5.

Is the VW LHD?
Attached Thumbnails Documentation Required to import a car from the UK-dsc_0914.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Austin-Healey 100/6, see attached.
The '58 from West Palm Beach?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Aviator
The '58 from West Palm Beach?
Indeed. Did you see it on bat or Hemmings (or somewhere else)?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:35 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Did you see it on bat or Hemmings (or somewhere else)?
If it is the same one, it was at Torque, nice car.
Enjoy, maybe a bit more enjoyment in the summer though.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Aviator
If it is the same one, it was at Torque, nice car.
Enjoy, maybe a bit more enjoyment in the summer though.
Yes, that's the car:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...00-6-roadster/

and, yes, it's ill suited to the winter. Maybe I should be going where the weather suits my cars.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's the car:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...00-6-roadster/

and, yes, it's ill suited to the winter. Maybe I should be going where the weather suits my cars.
Oh that's an interesting website. I fancy this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ruiser-fj40-2/
Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh that's an interesting website. I fancy this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ruiser-fj40-2/
We did recently bid on a truck there, not that one. The auction ended RNM but I haven't yet tracked down the seller. My experience with the Land Cruiser has rather put me off Toyota trucks, it was a very expensive way to be cold in a car.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 3:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We did recently bid on a truck there, not that one. The auction ended RNM but I haven't yet tracked down the seller. My experience with the Land Cruiser has rather put me off Toyota trucks, it was a very expensive way to be cold in a car.
Yes, the irony of buying a classic 4x4 is of course one wouldn't dare use it in winter because the salt would destroy it in no time at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.