Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:14 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Originally Posted by Oink
But it has a wave pool and glow-in-the-dark mini golf.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5MY2o20Ipm...nton-Mall2.jpg
Do you have to break the ice first?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:59 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Coming late to this thread, I have skimmed through it and decided to add my 2 cents.

I was 45, and hubby 55 when we landed in 2005. I don't think our ages made it any more difficult to settle than if we'd been younger. Only thing is that our respective parents are older, so maybe that makes it harder.

If you have a chance to visit over here, then he may get a job lined up before you come, if that's important to you, but as he can apply for PR simply by being married to you, the whole process will be much easier. I missed whether you have family/support over here?

I'd say, get PR, visit, job hunt, then move when you're ready!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Gal
He's a buyer (engineering/aerospace).
Not really an in-demand job in Alberta, but on the other hand there is a labour shortage and it is only going to get worse so he could do something else.

As regards all the negative comments about Edmonton on here, I actually think Edmonton is nicer than Calgary in most respects, the Saskatchewan River is nicer than the Bow I think plus it's more of a "traditional" city because it's a conurbation.

It is however more blue-collar because of all the govt workers there and the reason I didn't move there is because the weather is just too damn cold, plus Calgary airport has a better selection of flights.