Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Alberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really nice
Default Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

Hi

I'm new here, would love to get some opinions from any of you who have gone over to Canada on the wrong side of 40

I should start out by saying I was born and raised in Edmonton and left when I was 22. I've lived in the UK for 16 years and my husband is British. We have a 4 year old girl who is also Canadian. Immigrating isn't a problem as DH would be coming in as a spouse so its mostly paperwork.

But I am worried that at his age it might be hard to find work, especially as he's not got a university/college degree as it seems that every job posting we see says you have to have a college/uni degree. He's a buyer (engineering/aerospace).

We don't own a house here and would only be coming over with maybe $40,000 and will be staying with friends until we settle in and get a flat (or should I say apartment!).

I have read about a lot of the struggles some people have had and have always felt being a native Albertan would help us, even if I haven't been there in so long but am worried perhaps i'm being naive.

We don't hate the UK btw, we do love it here but we are tired of working and working and just taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back each time. And we worry about the future of our daughter here too. She has high functioning/mild autism.

Sorry to bombard you with information, am grateful for any advice. We live in Surrey at the moment. We've decided its Alberta or Derbyshire and are leaning a lot more towards Alberta at the moment.

Thanks for reading, look forward to hearing from you!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta

No real info but was just going to suggest getting in touch with some recruitment agencies as a way of maybe finding out some info? I will say that the radio shows here seem to be talking endlessly about another boom and the shortage of workers.....As for your daughter, a friend of a friend has been living in Edmonton for a couple of years (job secondment from Montreal). She has a son with severe autism and has been impressed by the help/support she has recieved - they are about to head back to Montreal and aren't very happy about it! Obviously your daughter wouldn't require as much support but hopefully that gives you an idea that help is there......

Difficult decision. Good luck whatever you decide
Lisa
Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course further education counts but IMHO experience plus determination means just as much. I never had the opportunity to go on to further education. Started work in Manitoba on my 46th birthday after my employer spent a year and 3 LMO attempts to get me over.
Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Derbyshire. No brainer.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Gal
She has high functioning/mild autism.
Don't move to Canada.

If you're inclined trace my past posts or search on autism, there was a poster in Cornwall ON who wrote quite well on it. Really though, just don't consider the idea again.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Alberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really niceAlberta_Gal is just really nice

Originally Posted by GC44
Of course further education counts but IMHO experience plus determination means just as much. I never had the opportunity to go on to further education. Started work in Manitoba on my 46th birthday after my employer spent a year and 3 LMO attempts to get me over.
Good luck
That's good to hear! DH has heaps of experience, 12 years through the RAF and 10 years in private/commercial environment. Am glad to hear you did well
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Derbyshire. No brainer.
Super helpful, thanks!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't move to Canada.

If you're inclined trace my past posts or search on autism, there was a poster in Cornwall ON who wrote quite well on it. Really though, just don't consider the idea again.
I will have a read of them, thanks.

Originally Posted by leepee
No real info but was just going to suggest getting in touch with some recruitment agencies as a way of maybe finding out some info? I will say that the radio shows here seem to be talking endlessly about another boom and the shortage of workers.....As for your daughter, a friend of a friend has been living in Edmonton for a couple of years (job secondment from Montreal). She has a son with severe autism and has been impressed by the help/support she has recieved - they are about to head back to Montreal and aren't very happy about it! Obviously your daughter wouldn't require as much support but hopefully that gives you an idea that help is there......

Difficult decision. Good luck whatever you decide
Lisa
Lisa, thank you so much for your advice. I will contact some recruitment agencies. I may try to sneak in a 10 day visit this year or early next year as I really want my husband to see what Edmonton looks like at the end of January/February, when there is either piles of snow or the old snow is dirty etc Obviously i'm biased but I love Edmonton, especially in the summer with all the festivals etc, I loved spending weekends at Sylvan Lake and doing lots of fishing etc. My husband and I are outdoorsy so Alberta seems a perfect choice. But we can't just move for recreational reasons, the work and support for our little girl has to be there too. Am glad to hear your friend has found so much support for her autistic son. Thanks again
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

In your situation, i'd also go with Derbyshire. Lovely place
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

austinallegro will become famous soon enough

On a lighter note, I opened this thread Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta thinking it was about someone who had emigrated to Alberta in the late 1940s......
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by austinallegro
On a lighter note, I opened this thread Immigrating in late 40's to Alberta thinking it was about someone who had emigrated to Alberta in the late 1940s......
Of course living there is like being back in the 1940s.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Super helpful, thanks!
Believe me, I meant it to be. Your OH appears to have a satisfactory job at the moment, which I assume has lead / could lead to a similar position in Derbyshire. He has no paper qualifications, he's in his late 40's and has nothing set up in Alberta?

Either stay where you are or go to Derbyshire. No brainer.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Super helpful, thanks!
That usually sums them up .
Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:36 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by GC44
That usually sums them up .
Which do you think is more helpful to the OP?

1) A balanced view of the downside risks of emigrating without a confirmed offer of employment, when you are in your late 40's and have no paper qualifications, or

2) frothy boosterism from someone, like yourself, who had a job offer before you came <and who've been here less than a year>?

I realize that the OP may only seek affirmation of her desire to return to Edmonton, but I see nothing unhelpful in pointing out the difficulties.

Now you have a nice day.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Which do you think is more helpful to the OP?

1) A balanced view of the downside risks of emigrating without a confirmed offer of employment, when you are in your late 40's and have no paper qualifications, or

2) frothy boosterism from someone, like yourself, who had a job offer before you came <and who've been here less than a year>?

I realize that the OP may only seek affirmation of her desire to return to Edmonton, but I see nothing unhelpful in pointing out the difficulties.

Now you have a nice day.
Maybe a bit of "frothy boosterism" is what's required on this forum to provide a more balanced view for people seeking advice.

I personally don't see a lot wrong with pointing out the positives. I guess I'm just one of those annoying people who's glass is always half full. How's yours?

I'm having a lovely day thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.