Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could do it again?

If you could do it again?

Old May 8th 2009, 12:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could do it again?

Originally Posted by Onefut
quiet

As did I.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

what would you do different?

ie. the time of year you arrived
the money you spent or didnt on things you did or didnt need
the mistakes you made and wouldn't do again
the narrow misses
etc etc

Hi Onefut,

The wonders of Hindsight, but what would I have done differently:

Let my son finish UK High school, (pop over to Canada, activate visa, then go back for this period).

Check out Toronto and suburbs as a place to live, before bringing the family to the furthest most inconvenient point - Vancouver Island (I'll get slated for this, it's a naturally stunning place.....!)

Not arrive at start of Winter, try and time it for the 'fair months'

Not have a tree fall on our rental cottage in the middle of the night...... lol

That's probably enough, now where's that time machine.......

Cheers.
Old May 9th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Well Mr Fut, I have to say that I am in total agreement with the parts of your post that I left in tact. It is a fair representation of my attitude as well.

its a good attitude to have mate:thumbup
:

happylandings:
Let my son finish UK High school, (pop over to Canada, activate visa, then go back for this period).
How many years did your son have left? our eldest will be going into highschool next yr

Check out Toronto and suburbs as a place to live, before bringing the family to the furthest most inconvenient point - Vancouver Island (I'll get slated for this, it's a naturally stunning place.....!)
were quit out of the way up here so are a little bit used to it but im sure by some canadian standards were over populated

Not arrive at start of Winter, try and time it for the 'fair months'
time of year was one of the things we were just talkin about this morning and we were thinking maybe end of winter to sample some winter but not the harshest parts, thatll hopefully help us settle a bit better but without the Rose tinted glasses on the weather front

Not have a tree fall on our rental cottage in the middle of the night...... lol
i'll try to avoid gettin a house with a tree within falling range
That's probably enough, now where's that time machine.......

thanx for your info
Old May 9th 2009, 3:00 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

the narrow misses
etc etc

I would bring every item of furniture.
I would remember to bring an english TV so that the children could use their playstation.
Wait for the exchange rate to be better.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In the spirit of mutual respect suggested by Iain, could you explain why you choose to post in brightly coloured fonts?
<pointedly refrains from pedantic reference to grammar and such like>.
<coffee -keyboard moment, can someone check whether Novo has a temp?>

I always use the violet/pink font color its just summat I do
I changed it to purple as I realised some folk found it hard to read and sore on the eyes and then i changed it to Navy when someone asked me to as they had a problem with purple

an navy is easy enuf to read I reckon
I just think forums can be visually quiet dull and using different font colours can brighten them up just like I use quiet a lot of smillies in my post to try and get my emphasis across as posts are to easilly misinterpreted without them (in my opinion)

As for the grammar I tend to type frenetically as I see forums more as a kind of chat than letter writing,

if some people dont like the way I spell or the font I use, I dont mind if they just dont read my threads.
Just like im not friends with everyone I know or meet in the real world I dont expect to be in the cyber-world
I dont mean that offensively its just a fact of life my character isnt suited to everyone, no ones is
Purple is my territory
Welcome to the mad house.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

I crumbily apologise for the use of purple but I was forced into it temporarily by those who shud know better
as you can see i'm now Navy as Pink was just a step too far for some

Im glad to see im not the only one with a font colour

Why wud you take all your furniture?? I ask coz we were thinkin of leaving it all
Old May 10th 2009, 1:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I crumbily apologise for the use of purple but I was forced into it temporarily by those who shud know better

Why wud you take all your furniture?? I ask coz we were thinkin of leaving it all
Any chance you would compromise by removing the bold tags?
Old May 10th 2009, 2:29 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Furniture is more expensive here, Canadian houses are bigger. It cost us more to move out here than we had allowed for (even with relocation allowance).

For us it would have been more cost effective to have brought more out in the container and replaced the tat at our leisure. We move next month and are currently scouring for dining room table and another settee........
Old May 10th 2009, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there should be more use of colour and font style
Old May 10th 2009, 3:15 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Oh no....please no
Old May 10th 2009, 3:22 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

couldnt agree more
Old May 10th 2009, 3:23 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
couldnt agree more
oh well,
Old May 10th 2009, 3:23 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

the narrow misses
etc etc

I bought a 3yr old truck truck outright when I first arrived, it was a 6 six seater and suited our needs perfectly.

However, gas prices went up and it cost a fortune to run so I sold it at a huge loss and bought a brand new small car instead.

One year went by and we realised that the small car is too small, so I sold it at a huge loss and bought a brand new SUV.

I wish I had bought the SUV when I first arrived and not lost $15k on new cars
Old May 10th 2009, 9:15 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

not bought a crappy old banger from a dodgy guy on a gravel lot with a portakabin thinking, this nice canadian chap would not rip me off, they are so terribly nice in canada. wrong. blew up. lost $6,000.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Any chance you would compromise by removing the bold tags?
only if you promise to stop stalking my fonts
jod done

Originally Posted by purple80

Furniture is more expensive here, Canadian houses are bigger. It cost us more to move out here than we had allowed for (even with relocation allowance).

For us it would have been more cost effective to have brought more out in the container and replaced the tat at our leisure. We move next month and are currently scouring for dining room table and another settee........
Interestin may be worth gettin a container then i'll have to work some figures out

Originally Posted by Danny B
I bought a 3yr old truck truck outright when I first arrived, it was a 6 six seater and suited our needs perfectly.

However, gas prices went up and it cost a fortune to run so I sold it at a huge loss and bought a brand new small car instead.

One year went by and we realised that the small car is too small, so I sold it at a huge loss and bought a brand new SUV.

I wish I had bought the SUV when I first arrived and not lost $15k on new cars
Yep i done that too with cars

Originally Posted by rae
not bought a crappy old banger from a dodgy guy on a gravel lot with a portakabin thinking, this nice canadian chap would not rip me off, they are so terribly nice in canada. wrong. blew up. lost $6,000.
Aha so not all Canadians are nice
thats a bummer tho mate, always the chance with buyin a used motor tho even newish ones
Old May 11th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Scared to type anything, will just stick with black

Thats interesting as one of our group planning to go to NS is convinced the furniture is so much cheaper, however as family with two drains on resources I will be taking as much as poss! Including the

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.