ICBC

Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICBC

Originally Posted by Aviator
Does she not have a PWD? If so ICBC have a disability discount as well.
We just learned of it recently but haven't been able to get into North Vancouver to get the necessary document from the ministry signed yet to prove it.

The ministry isn't open about benefits you may get, so we are slowly learning about certain one's. Had no idea we could apply to get an exemption of tolls on certain bridges for example, just learned that this month.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
there's plenty of people in the LM who drive but don't have to. IT's their choice. My sympathy is limited.
There are also plenty of people who don't live in the LM who have no choice but to drive even when they would rather not drive because the province doesn't fund or provide adequate transit outside of the LM.

I'd give my car up no problem if there was a transit option.

(There used to be a transit option to Whistler, shortly after the Olympics Whistler pulled their portion of the funding, and Squamish wasn't able to foot the entire bill for it, so the service died.)
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Cheese!!! don't get me started.... Had to buy Irish cheddar from Costco dammit
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

And the bloody weather� ���� what the hell happened to the snow?!!?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:13 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
Cheese!!! don't get me started.... Had to buy Irish cheddar from Costco dammit
Closer than Ireland I guess.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
Is it me or are ICBC a complete con!! I paid $850 a year in Ontario and that was living in Ottawa downtown now I have to pay $2300

Opinions!!!
This copy and pasted from a thread last year on high cost of insurance in Ontario
For example, I live in Mississauga, 3 years clean Canadian driving record, 10 years clean UK driving record. I have an insurance company which takes my UK driving record into account. My premium is $2400/yr. Without the UK driving record, it was $3800/yr.

I seem to remember many other complaints about high costs of insurance in other parts of Canada that don't have government run monopolies so is ICBC really a con or is it just insurance that's a con?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

That's high for Ontario, mine was $850 living downtown in Ottawa and that was after one year living in Canada
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I seem to remember many other complaints about high costs of insurance in other parts of Canada that don't have government run monopolies so is ICBC really a con or is it just insurance that's a con?
It's not a con in as much as no one is getting rich from offering car insurance in Canada. It's expensive because people driving in Canada crash a lot and get litigious about it. And I'm comparing to wintry States. I kept two cars on CO plates for years even though they lived in Ontario. The insurance was a tenth of what it would have been with local plates.

I don't think anyone can make a case that a government run monopoly is a cost effective way of getting something done but there's not a huge difference between a monopoly, as in BC, and detailed regulation of rates, as in AB (and most other Provinces). Neither offers a competitive market.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Typical BC government running there monopoly and mugging everyone off. Pull you pants down, bend over and part your cheeks. haha!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

I don't think anyone can make a case that a government run monopoly is a cost effective way of getting something done but there's not a huge difference between a monopoly, as in BC, and detailed regulation of rates, as in AB (and most other Provinces). Neither offers a competitive market.
Yes i think you hit the proverbial nail on the head
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not a con in as much as no one is getting rich from offering car insurance in Canada. It's expensive because people driving in Canada crash a lot and get litigious about it. And I'm comparing to wintry States. I kept two cars on CO plates for years even though they lived in Ontario. The insurance was a tenth of what it would have been with local plates.

Adjusting for the exchange rate, and using Progressive, State Farm and Geico, the highest quote was 105 a month CAD for our car, we pay 150 ish in BC for the same coverage.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
there's plenty of people in the LM who drive but don't have to. IT's their choice. My sympathy is limited.
you're sympathy is not wanted.

Your generalisation is poor at best.

There are plenty of people who drive...because they have to. They do have a choice, they can not have freedom, not go to work and not do everything else that a car helps them do....can't believe I am wasting my time answering this pish
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

I started this thread on a good note and looking for opinions, please keep it civil

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, definitely civil, but can you see where my annoyance comes from with trolling rubbish as witnessed? The trolling was of no help first time around or second. Not good
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

From what I was told to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by ICBC - $1500/year for a young man and a truck bringing no driving history, could have been a lot worse.

My main comment on them is the extraordinary convenience that comes from only having a single company do it - when I moved, could go to any insurance broker to update it, and they could do my license at the same time. If they opened up to competition and rates came down drastically I could understand, but I doubt things would change enough to make the inconvenience worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.