Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I've no idea why the stats claim that there's more rain in NS but I can tell you that having lived in NS for 3 years there are a lot more blue skies than in England.
Maybe in NS it rains for an hour then turns in to a beautiful day or maybe it only rains at night. But the fact of the matter is that the sun shines a lot more than in SE England and there's no need to pack a brolly when going on a picnic!
So Moses if you would like to move over to NS for a year and experience it for yourself you will then understand what we're saying!
That's fine but we can't just make it the way we want. I've said that compared to London you have more sunny days in Halifax but it's fact that it rains a lot more than London. Even the sunshine amounts in NS are not life changing if you compare to South East.

The main issue for the OP was that they apparently can't plan anything due to rain. He's gone anyway but if that is a problem move to other parts of Canada.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:25 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That's fine but we can't just make it the way we want. I've said that compared to London you have more sunny days in Halifax but it's fact that it rains a lot more than London. Even the sunshine amounts in NS are not life changing if you compare to South East.

The main issue for the OP was that they apparently can't plan anything due to rain. He's gone anyway but if that is a problem move to other parts of Canada.
I am glad it was asked then because very rarely does rain stop you doing anything or planning anything because it's not there in summer or fall or winter that much
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am glad it was asked then because very rarely does rain stop you doing anything or planning anything because it's not there in summer or fall or winter that much

Exactly and even if precipitation is high year-round it doesn't really stop you.
Be it UK or NS, it's moderate and never really too hot or too cold.
If the OP is unhappy with rain, maybe avoid places that are influenced by the Gulf Stream or Gulf of St Lawrence.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No idea how accurate this website is but if looking at weather extremes across Canada this appears to have everything you need
Where to Live in Canada - Canadian weather comparisons

Driest city is Whitehorse in the Yukon at 267.40 mm if you don't like rain.

Halifax doesn't even get a mention based on 82 cities.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:06 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly and even if precipitation is high year-round it doesn't really stop you.
Be it UK or NS, it's moderate and never really too hot or too cold.
If the OP is unhappy with rain, maybe avoid places that are influenced by the Gulf Stream or Gulf of St Lawrence.
LOL! You would swear that you personally experienced it. Frankly minus 34 a couple of weeks ago was definately in the too cold bracket. I wouldnt say its moderate but it definitely has defined seasons.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL! You would swear that you personally experienced it. Frankly minus 34 a couple of weeks ago was definately in the too cold bracket. I wouldnt say its moderate but it definitely has defined seasons.
Not -34 in Halifax. It went down to -16 but still moderate for Canada and it's location. Even the minus 16 is unusual and many places have seen a colder than usual weather.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:29 pm
Happy

Not -34 in Halifax. It went down to -16 but still moderate for Canada and it's location. Even the minus 16 is unusual and many places have seen a colder than usual weather.
OMG, it was real feel -34. If you lived here you would know that. I am starting to feel like I am feeding the troll
Old Jan 27th 2017, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OMG, it was real feel -34. If you lived here you would know that. I am starting to feel like I am feeding the troll
When there's no other way out the troll thing always comes up, I know.
You never even mentioned RealFeel either. Imagine if it's summer and you say it's 25 degrees but I would then say the RealFeel was 20, you'd certainly be the first to moan.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's time to close this thread as it's simply squabbling now. Hopefully the OP has got the info they need, both from the stats and from the point of view of those that live there.