Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:06 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sure and again it will depend where you live (drainage). I remember hose pipe bans in the UK, especially in Jersey and parts of Kent. Believe it or not, even in our part of Ireland where we have same amount of rain as Vancouver we have water scarcity (not last year though). Many places have water shortages and water is life after all.

I know people always want to defend their place but do you really think all the official weather data is just a lie. I know people from Germany (Cologne) who were surprised how much better the weather was in Kent, although people believe the whole UK is wet all the time.
You are reading that I am defending it. I am actually just trying to answer the OPs question with reality.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Lucky you dont live in London then isnt it, given that apparently we have more rain here that we just havent noticed....
Well we're only human and there could be many factors why you think it rains less. As mentioned, a garden can make the difference, a property that gets the sun, activities etc. Maybe you lived in an area where buildings blocked the sun and it was less green, so are just happier in general.

It's the same for me and due to work life balance the rain doesn't seem bad.
A friend once worked in Spain and he never really saw the sun. He worked from 8-7, lived in a tiny apartment and was so glad to come back to UK.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Well we're only human and there could be many factors why you think it rains less. As mentioned, a garden can make the difference, a property that gets the sun, activities etc. Maybe you lived in an area where buildings blocked the sun and it was less green, so are just happier in general.

It's the same for me and due to work life balance the rain doesn't seem bad.
A friend once worked in Spain and he never really saw the sun. He worked from 8-7, lived in a tiny apartment and was so glad to come back to UK.
You simpy dont believe me do you? LOL
I had a large garden in England, I was outside, I went outside a lot. To parks, to ride my horse, to wonder all over the countryside, to work etc etc.
I do the same here. I have the same here. Its NOTICEABLY different.

I do not believe that we have more "rainy days" in Halifax than in London, unless constant drizzle, light rain, overcast skies in London does not register. Does it register? Do you know the basis of the stats?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
You simpy dont believe me do you? LOL
I had a large garden in England, I was outside, I went outside a lot. To parks, to ride my horse, to wonder all over the countryside, to work etc etc.
I do the same here. I have the same here. Its NOTICEABLY different.

I do not believe that we have more "rainy days" in Halifax than in London, unless constant drizzle, light rain, overcast skies in London does not register. Does it register? Do you know the basis of the stats?
There are different types of rain gauges but in general all will measure rainfall of 0.2mm

I'm not a fan of London myself but the facts are there. It does not rain as much as people think. Even people from Bilbao in Spain talk about the dry weather in London.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:40 pm
Happy

I feel I need to clarify the weather here by month for the OP and anyone else who is interested:

January - typically cold. We have mainly clear cold days with sunshine. It can blizzard, flurry and sometimes even rain on the odd couple of days if the temps swing into the plus numbers.

February - same as above but almost zero chance of rain, its freezing all the time.

March - same as Feb although can be a bit warmer - skiing is nicer as your face isnt numb as much as Jan and Feb. Very little chance of rain.

April - still cold, rain will come back into the picture as it warms up but we still can get flurries and even a snow storm.

May & June - it will likely rain, mixed in with clear days. Not very warm still until you hit mid to end June when it can be hot. (May is a constant disappointment). My first June it rained alot. That was 2011. Mixed in with blue skies... it was deluge rain.

July and Aug - hot and humid. Rain can and does fall in deluges. Mostly blue skies unless we get a hurricane or tropical storm.

Sept - hot, no humidity, can have a couple of rainy days but for the most part its a delightful month.

Oct - warm to cool to downright cold. Can rain more in this month, can be overcast, can be clear skies and sunshine,. Its a mixed up month.

Nov - like Oct but getting cooler. The first snow storm often comes in Nov and then melts.

Dec - cold, can rain sometimes but rarely depending on temp, get more snow.

Thats my take on the months of the year.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:26 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But that's because of ground conditions/well depth not absolute volume of rainfall. Compared with ON, NS must have more efficient drainage and/or inadequate welling. How come wells in NS are usually "dug" whereas in ON they're "drilled"?
we do have drilled wells here but not common I don't think. I would guess that would be down to money rather than efficiency.

Where I live, it is not uncommon for homeowners to have to top
Their well up throughout the summer.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:34 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Sure and again it will depend where you live (drainage). I remember hose pipe bans in the UK, especially in Jersey and parts of Kent. Believe it or not, even in our part of Ireland where we have same amount of rain as Vancouver we have water scarcity (not last year though). Many places have water shortages and water is life after all.

I know people always want to defend their place but do you really think all the official weather data is just a lie. I know people from Germany (Cologne) who were surprised how much better the weather was in Kent, although people believe the whole UK is wet all the time.
Last summer there was a ban from walking in the woods(Provence wide). Due to the risk of wild fires caused by the lack of rain and the ground. Being just too dry.
I'm not sure if we had a hosepipe ban.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Here's my take on the weather in NS

Not sure IF the rain is more or less however, I do find it "appears" a lot less grey & damp.

I was amazed how big the sky was when i moved here nearly 10 years ago, the winters can be long (Oct-March) but whilst long & cold there is an amazing big big blue sky with sunshine most of the time.
For the most part i dont mind that at least you can get out & do stuff, ski, skate, walk, snowshoe

Spring is awful probably April-June time - rain, grey skies

Summer - late June-Beg Sept most years have been brilliant maybe 2 not so much

Autumn - Sept-Beg Nov gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous

I find the damp in Spring & more so in the UK gets into your bones and therefore makes me feel colder than those crazy minus figures.
BUT, if your moving here just for weather, hate cold & snow then do NOT move here.

I love the relaxed lifestyle 90% of the time, the people are nice etc.. but the big plus for me is the space & lack of traffic, people etc..
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flogger
Last summer there was a ban from walking in the woods(Provence wide). Due to the risk of wild fires caused by the lack of rain and the ground. Being just too dry.
I'm not sure if we had a hosepipe ban.
There was a hosepipe ban
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
we do have drilled wells here but not common I don't think. I would guess that would be down to money rather than efficiency.

Where I live, it is not uncommon for homeowners to have to top
Their well up throughout the summer.
I haven't heard of topping up wells in Ontario but have heard of wells drying up. That's a financial disaster on par with a septic bed failure as the wells are drilled deep with expensive equipment. We passed a house with a drilling rig set up in the front garden last week and I felt for the owners; I don't suppose they chose to have a new well drilled in a blizzard.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:17 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by mumof2
There was a hosepipe ban
I recall this now, our lovely new grass died on our lawn
And it was illegal to go in to the woods, down trails etc etc as so very dry it was like a tinder box just waiting to go up.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Howefamily. I was really worried about our lake house surrounded in woodland. There were forest fires too so it was a worrying time. All that because of a lack of rain!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

WOW 4 pages on the rain in Nova Scotia.
Why don't we extend it by asking the following question like the thread title

How much does it snow in Nova Scotia?
That should be good for at least another 5 pages
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:50 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Lol. Well most of the pages were in deep discussion with someone in Ireland who clearly doesn't agree with real life experience
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:59 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Don't we have the ultimate authority on NS snow somewhere on the forum ? I forget her name. She doesn't actually live in NS but never flies into Halifax to visit her relatives because she claims it's always snowed in. I've been flying in and out of Halifax since 1970, both as a pilot and a passenger. I have experienced the occasional snow problem but it isn't a persistent thing. There were delays last Tuesday evening but it is not the usual state of affairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.