Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long did it take for you to secure a job?

How long did it take for you to secure a job?

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take for you to secure a job?

Originally Posted by sms1984
I live in Alberta and received my spousal open work permit 3 weeks ago today. I have had 2 interviews between then and now and today was offered the job I wanted.

I will be working in admin for a huuuuuge investment group, great pay, great perks (3 weeks paid holidays and 1 paid Friday off a month in winter, 2 in summer), great benefits. One very happy expat
Congrats - well done!

I used to work for a national investment group too as an administrator/business development, was very sad when it came to an end.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:24 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats - well done!

I used to work for a national investment group too as an administrator/business development, was very sad when it came to an end.
Thanks Siouxie It's such a relief
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

justanothernomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sms1984
I live in Alberta and received my spousal open work permit 3 weeks ago today. I have had 2 interviews between then and now and today was offered the job I wanted.

I will be working in admin for a huuuuuge investment group, great pay, great perks (3 weeks paid holidays and 1 paid Friday off a month in winter, 2 in summer), great benefits. One very happy expat
That is a great offer. Good luck and have fun
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road

3 days.

I am an RN in uk but took a job as a care aide here.

Sent resume, interview same day, offered job 2 days later. And the plus part is - it pays more than a Jr RN in uk. Whilst I wait for my RN application I'm very happy.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsL22
3 days.

Sent resume, interview same day, offered job 2 days later. And the plus part is - it pays more than a Jr RN in uk. Whilst I wait for my RN application I'm very happy.
Congratulations! Good job
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

4 - 6 weeks to find work in any country. I mean that from just arriving off the boat and start looking for work.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 10:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsL22
3 days.

And how long to find a job as an RN? That's the real question.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Not in the same province as the OP, but here's how long it took for me...

Arrived mid June - asked if there was anything going in the bank where we opened an account. Started work there a few weeks later. Casual, part time and not what I wanted long term - but money coming in.

At the same time, spent two months looking for work locally in and around Bridgewater. Did have an interview but was unsuccessful - most of my other applications and spec contacts ignored (around 20).

Mid August - started looking in Halifax. Again, applied for advertised vacancies, to agencies and sent spec applications. Much higher response rate. Met with several interested employers and got interviews.

Just been offered a permanent full time job which is in my field and at the same rate of pay as I had in Edinburgh. Also got offered a temp job at the same time.

My OH - a teacher who can't teach until he requalifies here. In the meantime, took up call centre work to bring in some money - got job a few weeks after landing (first job applied for) and is now at another call centre closer to where we live now. So applied for two - got two.

I found it frustrating looking for work - mainly because I haven't been out of work for 15 years! It was difficult to get interest in a small town - I expected this but probably would have tried much harder if I planned on staying round here. Will never know if I would have been successful!

There was a mix of attitudes in the employers I encountered - some were really against me as an immigrant (eg they thought I would return to the UK and let them down; no Canadian work experience; no experience of Canadian winters etc). Others were more open minded and didn't see it as a problem.

As it is, I am very happy with the job offer I've received and in reality, that took two months.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:32 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kaye5

Arrived mid June - asked if there was anything going in the bank where we opened an account. Started work there a few weeks later. Casual, part time and not what I wanted long term - but money coming in.

At the same time, spent two months looking for work locally in and around Bridgewater. Did have an interview but was unsuccessful - most of my other applications and spec contacts ignored (around 20).

Mid August - started looking in Halifax. Again, applied for advertised vacancies, to agencies and sent spec applications. Much higher response rate. Met with several interested employers and got interviews.

Just been offered a permanent full time job which is in my field and at the same rate of pay as I had in Edinburgh. Also got offered a temp job at the same time.

My OH - a teacher who can't teach until he requalifies here. In the meantime, took up call centre work to bring in some money - got job a few weeks after landing (first job applied for) and is now at another call centre closer to where we live now. So applied for two - got two.

I found it frustrating looking for work - mainly because I haven't been out of work for 15 years! It was difficult to get interest in a small town - I expected this but probably would have tried much harder if I planned on staying round here. Will never know if I would have been successful!

There was a mix of attitudes in the employers I encountered - some were really against me as an immigrant (eg they thought I would return to the UK and let them down; no Canadian work experience; no experience of Canadian winters etc). Others were more open minded and didn't see it as a problem.

As it is, I am very happy with the job offer I've received and in reality, that took two months.
Congrats Kaye, glad it's all working out, thanks for sharing your story.

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

I can imagine how frustrating that must have been, but glad that it all worked out for you eventually. Congratulations
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
4 - 6 weeks to find work in any country. I mean that from just arriving off the boat and start looking for work.
That is not too bad of an average. But, I gather it takes longer in the major cities than in smaller towns?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Congrats Kaye, glad it's all working out, thanks for sharing your story.

Regards

Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. I know Mrs Chiefmissile is working - how about you?

Originally Posted by justanothernomad
I can imagine how frustrating that must have been, but glad that it all worked out for you eventually. Congratulations
Thanks - it will mean a move closer to the city, and uprooting the kids yet again (I can't stand the long commute long term) but at least I feel we tried to make it locally - if we had sold our UK house it would have been different, as finding work wouldn't have been so urgent. We hoped it would sell over the summer, but no. City pays much better than local and cash is what we need right now. I'm looking forward to getting back to "real" work!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 1:27 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Thanks, Andrew. I know Mrs Chiefmissile is working - how about you?

Thanks - it will mean a move closer to the city, and uprooting the kids yet again (I can't stand the long commute long term) but at least I feel we tried to make it locally - if we had sold our UK house it would have been different, as finding work wouldn't have been so urgent. We hoped it would sell over the summer, but no. City pays much better than local and cash is what we need right now. I'm looking forward to getting back to "real" work!
Hi, I have applied for one job, but failed the entrance exam (Sheriffs Officer). Have just got my Canadian Firearms Licence, and also applied to G4S and Brinks as an part time armed cash in transit officer, it pays $25 an hour. Not desperate at the moment, have my pension to keep things ticking along. Might start to think about it after Xmas.

Regards

Andrew

Last edited by chiefmissile; Oct 28th 2013 at 1:29 am.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi, I have applied for one job, but failed the entrance exam (Sheriffs Officer). Have just got my Canadian Firearms Licence, and also applied to G4S and Brinks as an part time armed cash in transit officer, it pays $25 an hour. Not desperate at the moment, have my pension to keep things ticking along. Might start to think about it after Xmas.

Regards

Andrew
Don't leave it too long - the novelty of not working wears off really fast.

Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:59 pm
Andrew

Don't leave it too long - the novelty of not working wears off really fast.

Plenty to keep me busy, plus the bonus of no child care hassle or costs, happy for the time being. We r actually better off now than we were in the UK, teacher salary way better here in MB.

I will keep u posted

Regards

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.