British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How long did it take for you to secure a job? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-long-did-take-you-secure-job-812708/)

justanothernomad Oct 20th 2013 11:43 pm

How long did it take for you to secure a job?

I understand this is a very broad question, and completely depends on your line of work, location and luck. But, thought I might as well just ask this question anyway, to gauge the average time it takes for an immigrant to secure a job in Toronto.

I am a Software Developer and my boyfriend is a Formwork Carpenter.

Regardless of what you do, I am keen to know how long did it take for you to get a job (in your relevant field)?

Some people say, Canada is still a land of plenty (easy to get a job) and some say it is a bit of struggle.

bats Oct 20th 2013 11:55 pm

Re: How long did it take for you to secure a job?

Originally Posted by justanothernomad (Post 10953348)
I understand this is a very broad question, and completely depends on your line of work, location and luck. But, thought I might as well just ask this question anyway, to gauge the average time it takes for an immigrant to secure a job in Toronto.

Regardless of what you do, I am keen to know how long did it take for you to get a job (in your relevant field)?

Some people say, Canada is still a land of plenty (easy to get a job) and some say it is a bit of struggle.

It isn't the land of plenty in Ontario. Took 7 years for my husband to get full time work in his trade.

justanothernomad Oct 20th 2013 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10953355)
It isn't the land of plenty in Ontario. Took 7 years for my husband to get full time work in his trade.

Oh my. It must have been so frustrating for him? What does he do, if you don't mind me asking?

bats Oct 21st 2013 12:07 am

Originally Posted by justanothernomad (Post 10953357)
Oh my. It must have been so frustrating for him? What does he do, if you don't mind me asking?

Gas and oil technician. Called a fitter in the UK

dgagitw Oct 21st 2013 1:00 am

I moved here with a job so it took me no time. My wife recently went back to work after taking a few years out looking after our son though and it took her about 3 months to find a job in her own field that paid a bit more than she would probably have earned in the UK. If you're not too fussy about what type of software development you do then you'll probably find something pretty quickly. What's your rough skill set, experience and education?

Aviator Oct 21st 2013 1:15 am

My job found me.

justanothernomad Oct 21st 2013 1:31 am

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 10953398)
I moved here with a job so it took me no time. My wife recently went back to work after taking a few years out looking after our son though and it took her about 3 months to find a job in her own field that paid a bit more than she would probably have earned in the UK. If you're not too fussy about what type of software development you do then you'll probably find something pretty quickly. What's your rough skill set, experience and education?

3 months still seem like a long time? :(

I am a C# Developer (with CMS experience). I have around 3 years of experience. Masters degree holder.

To be honest, I am not as worried for myself as for my boyfriend. He thinks that there are not many trade jobs in Toronto. I am quite flexible trying out different technologies (if given an opportunity).

Did you apply for jobs before you moved to Toronto? Or was it a company transfer?

justanothernomad Oct 21st 2013 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10953408)
My job found me.

Lucky you! How long did your job take to find you? :p

Ben W Bell Oct 21st 2013 1:34 am

Once actually I started looking, less than 2 months.

justanothernomad Oct 21st 2013 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell (Post 10953421)
Once actually I started looking, less than 2 months.

That's not too bad :)

What do you work as, Ben?

Siouxie Oct 21st 2013 3:24 am

So far, 18 months and still not managed to obtain one.

Administrator/Office Manager but after a year of applying for anything based in an office am also applying to stores and anywhere they have a job I can do.

justanothernomad Oct 21st 2013 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 10953503)
So far, 18 months and still not managed to obtain one.

Administrator/Office Manager but after a year of applying for anything based in an office am also applying to stores and anywhere they have a job I can do.

This is depressing. Looks like it is much better in Australia! Sigh.

Hope you will get a job ASAP.:fingerscrossed:

Aviator Oct 21st 2013 4:06 am

Originally Posted by justanothernomad (Post 10953418)
Lucky you! How long did your job take to find you? :p

Chance meeting at Heathrow with an old acquaintance. Contact and right place right time. My past UK work experience was an asset and my qualifications transferable with a bit of paperwork. Took less time than getting my drivers license.

JonboyE Oct 21st 2013 4:28 am

You can't generalize. Canada is a huge country and the job market in, say, Alberta cannot be compard to the job market in, say, Nova Scotia.

FWIW I was pushing paper in anger within two weeks of actively looking of a job. In this part of the country I think any decent formwork carpenter will have little trouble getting work. An C # developer, umm...

justanothernomad Oct 21st 2013 4:34 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10953544)
You can't generalize. Canada is a huge country and the job market in, say, Alberta cannot be compard to the job market in, say, Nova Scotia.

FWIW I was pushing paper in anger within two weeks of actively looking of a job. In this part of the country I think any decent formwork carpenter will have little trouble getting work. An C # developer, umm...

When you say "In this part of the country...", which part do you mean? :(