Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to find rented accommodation?

How to find rented accommodation?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Paperwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find rented accommodation?

I saw a post here before about a website giving details of rental properties, but can't find it now.

Anyone have any ideas on how we might search for rentals?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find rented accommodation?

Originally Posted by Paperwork
I saw a post here before about a website giving details of rental properties, but can't find it now.

Anyone have any ideas on how we might search for rentals?
Google is your friend.

Otherwise there is craigslist, kijiji, viewit, and many many more.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

viewit.ca
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kijiji.ca

http://rentspot.com/

http://www.rentboard.ca/

http://www.hometrader.ca/

http://viewit.ca/

http://www.247apartments.com/Default.asp

http://www.gottarent.com

http://www.sublet.com/

Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

I looked at craigslist and actually inquired about quite a few properties.

I am not sure how legit it is but I keep getting very odd replies, such as this one:

Hello,

It is a great pleasure you are interested in my house.Thanks for your email
and it is my gladness to hearing from you.I am the owner of the house you
are making inquiry of.Actually I resided in the house with my family,such as
my wife and my only daughter before and presently we had packed due to my
missionary work transfer now situated at (WEST AFRICA,NIGERIA)and presently
my house is still available for rent for $500 per month including the
utilities like,washer dryer,and security,it is well furnished but you can
also have it unfurnished if you like.Please i want you to note that,i am a
kind and honest man and also i spent a lot on my property that i want
to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this
my house and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not
the money that is the main problem that is why is very cheap but i want you
to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat
when i come for a check up.I also want you to let me have trust in you
as i always stand on my word.All i want you to do is to go ahead and view
the house immediately.
here is my number fill free to call me on this number 0112348022961208 or
+2348022961208 .let me know if you are interested so that i can email you
the rent application form so that you can fill them up then we can proceed
further..

It's obvious just from the spelling and grammar that it's a phoney ad. When I ask when I can view the property I am told that they have the keys on them as they are in Africa and that I need to complete the application form and we can then proceed.

I have had several emails like this and no legit replies yet! What's going on? Anyone else had this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by act1980

I am not sure how legit it is but I keep getting very odd replies, such as this one:

Hello,

the house immediately.
further..

It's obvious just from the spelling and grammar that it's a phoney ad. When I ask when I can view the property I am told that they have the keys on them as they are in Africa and that I need to complete the application form and we can then proceed.

I have had several emails like this and no legit replies yet! What's going on? Anyone else had this?

Thanks!
Yep!

I have also found that NONE of my KIJIJI e-mails have been replied to, I wonder if they are even getting through... it's tough
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

another good one is www.mls.ca
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:31 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Scam Scam Scam. There is lots of that sort of thing on Craigslist, unfortunately. You will get to know which ads are going to be scams just by looking at them. They are generally very nice apartments, much too nice for the often very cheap price. Sometimes the location is very vague, like the ad is written by someone who does not know the city. Ignore, delete and move on!

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Yep!

I have also found that NONE of my KIJIJI e-mails have been replied to, I wonder if they are even getting through... it's tough
If we are refering to Toronto here, then yes, it can be incredibly tough. Recently, I moved out of my downtown apartment and so needed to get it rented out to someone else. I put an ad on Craigslist on Sunday afternoon. By early evening, I had been bombarded by calls and emails to the point where I had to remove my phone number from the ad. I had so many viewers who wanted to come that I ended up showing the place as an 'open house'. It was rented by the next day. I should point out that although it is in a sought after location where apartments do not come along with great regularity...the apartment itself is very small and basic with a tiny kitchen.

The moral of the story is, if it is a good apartment then pick up the phone and see it straight away. Be prepared to hand over the 1st and last. To be honest, I ended up just pasting a generic "sorry too late" response to the people who emailed after the 1st day.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Scam Scam Scam. There is lots of that sort of thing on Craigslist, unfortunately. You will get to know which ads are going to be scams just by looking at them. They are generally very nice apartments, much too nice for the often very cheap price. Sometimes the location is very vague, like the ad is written by someone who does not know the city. Ignore, delete and move on!

If we are refering to Toronto here, then yes, it can be incredibly tough. Recently, I moved out of my downtown apartment and so needed to get it rented out to someone else. I put an ad on Craigslist on Sunday afternoon. By early evening, I had been bombarded by calls and emails to the point where I had to remove my phone number from the ad. I had so many viewers who wanted to come that I ended up showing the place as an 'open house'. It was rented by the next day. I should point out that although it is in a sought after location where apartments do not come along with great regularity...the apartment itself is very small and basic with a tiny kitchen.

The moral of the story is, if it is a good apartment then pick up the phone and see it straight away. Be prepared to hand over the 1st and last. To be honest, I ended up just pasting a generic "sorry too late" response to the people who emailed after the 1st day.
That will explain a lot then, we enquired about 3 apartments in Toronto last week and heard precisely nothing back.

I had just put it down to rudeness on the part of the landlords to be honest.

How difficult is it on average to find a (preferably furnished) apartment in downtown Toronto in your opinion then? We have so far pre-booked a week in a hotel for when we land but I'm not sure if it will be long enough now.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

the house immediately.
further..

Thanks!

It is a scam - they will want you to pay a deposit or a processing fee or something (probably by Western Union) before they will give you any details...

There was a case I saw recently of a woman who found an ad for a rental house that was using pictures of HER OWN HOUSE on craigslist... When she contacted the scammer, he told her that due to him being out of town, she could only view the outside of it unless she agreed to rent it and paid a deposit...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
That will explain a lot then, we enquired about 3 apartments in Toronto last week and heard precisely nothing back.

I had just put it down to rudeness on the part of the landlords to be honest.

How difficult is it on average to find a (preferably furnished) apartment in downtown Toronto in your opinion then? We have so far pre-booked a week in a hotel for when we land but I'm not sure if it will be long enough now.
It probably is part rudeness! I only had a day or two to deal with it all and I was getting fed up. I imagine that if they get any indication that you are coming from abroad, renting as a brand new immigrant, that the email has a good chance of ending up in the bin.

Furnished apartments are not the norm, the vast majority of places are rented unfurnished. This means, however, that you get kitchen equipment as standard. A fridge and cooker are normally included in an 'unfurnished' place. The only furnished accommodation I know of are along the lines of short term business rentals, aimed towards business travellers, and these cost an arm and a leg. You might do better contacting hotels in the area you want to be and finding out if they do long term rentals. I have heard of some that do, and come with a small kitchenette and so on.

How long do you plan to rent an interim place for? One thing I will say is that apartments here are commonly advertised 2 months in advance, as the normal notice period to leave is 2 months. You can strike lucky and get a place at a months notice, or as I did, straight away, if the first tenant in line changes their mind or has bad references. Failing that, I would give yourself 2 months to make sure you see a good selection of what is on offer in your price range, and to check out plenty of different neighbourhoods.

Last edited by ireland2canada; Jan 4th 2011 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:44 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
It probably is part rudeness! I only had a day or two to deal with it all and I was getting fed up. I imagine that if they get any indication that you are coming from abroad, renting as a brand new immigrant, that the email has a good chance of ending up in the bin.

Furnished apartments are not the norm, the vast majority of places are rented unfurnished. This means, however, that you get kitchen equipment as standard. A fridge and cooker are normally included in an 'unfurnished' place. The only furnished accommodation I know of are along the lines of short term business rentals, aimed towards business travellers, and these cost an arm and a leg. You might do better contacting hotels in the area you want to be and finding out if they do long term rentals. I have heard of some that do, and come with a small kitchenette and so on.

How long do you plan to rent an interim place for? One thing I will say is that apartments here are commonly advertised 2 months in advance, as the normal notice period to leave is 2 months. You can strike lucky and get a place at a months notice, or as I did, straight away, if the first tenant in line changes their mind or has bad references. Failing that, I would give yourself 2 months to make sure you see a good selection of what is on offer in your price range, and to check out plenty of different neighbourhoods.
Well we are currently only planning to be in Toronto for around 8 months (hence why we ideally don't want to buy a load of furniture) so we were just looking for a short term rental really but we can certainly pay the first and last month's rent in advance if needed and are willing to sign some sort of fixed term contract.

Do you think it's better if we just wait until we've landed before we start looking properly and actively contacting landlords. I have seen that a lot of the apartments advertised online are advertised as being available from January or February so presumably this means they would be available at that time or does that just mean that's when they would be willing to start negotiating with new tenants etc?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well we are currently only planning to be in Toronto for around 8 months (hence why we ideally don't want to buy a load of furniture) so we were just looking for a short term rental really but we can certainly pay the first and last month's rent in advance if needed and are willing to sign some sort of fixed term contract.

Do you think it's better if we just wait until we've landed before we start looking properly and actively contacting landlords. I have seen that a lot of the apartments advertised online are advertised as being available from January or February so presumably this means they would be available at that time or does that just mean that's when they would be willing to start negotiating with new tenants etc?
Hmmm 8 months could be difficult, but I'm sure there are places out there for you! I suppose your best choice is to aim for the aforementioned furnished place which is likely to be rather pricey but will be targeted towards a shorter stay. Most landlords who are renting a standard, residential, non-furnished place are going to want a years lease. You could get lucky and find someone who is ok with an 8 month lease but I don't like your chances and you would spend a lot of time looking at places only to be turned away once you say you can't sign a 12 month lease.

If a place is advertised as being available from Feb 1 then this is when you move in. All the details of the rent and lease would be agreed in advance of that, whenever the landlord makes their choice for a tenant. 1st and last is the norm and would be expected, I've never rented a furnished place in Canada so you might want to enquire about cleaning charges and that sort of thing.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

it may work out cheaper to rent unfurnished and do a cheap and cheerful ikea shop, or buy second hand of craigs list.

Be careful of soft furnishings though , some places have a bedbug problem
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

the house immediately.
+2348022961208 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting� � � � � � � � � � � � � � +2348022961208� � � � � � end_of_the_skyp e_highlighting .let me know if you are interested so that i can email you
further..

Thanks!
I have SKYPE installed and it comes up with a little Nigerian flag next to the phone number. I have to say, I looked through Craiglist at the beginning of December and it was spam after spam, more so than had been the case in previous months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.