Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to find rented accommodation?

How to find rented accommodation?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find rented accommodation?

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Hmmm 8 months could be difficult, but I'm sure there are places out there for you! I suppose your best choice is to aim for the aforementioned furnished place which is likely to be rather pricey but will be targeted towards a shorter stay. Most landlords who are renting a standard, residential, non-furnished place are going to want a years lease. You could get lucky and find someone who is ok with an 8 month lease but I don't like your chances and you would spend a lot of time looking at places only to be turned away once you say you can't sign a 12 month lease.

If a place is advertised as being available from Feb 1 then this is when you move in. All the details of the rent and lease would be agreed in advance of that, whenever the landlord makes their choice for a tenant. 1st and last is the norm and would be expected, I've never rented a furnished place in Canada so you might want to enquire about cleaning charges and that sort of thing.
Thanks, I really appreciate your and it backs up my worst fears to be honest.

Would the 8 month lease situation also be the same with all unfurnished apartments? I suppose that would be fine as all we would really need to then buy at the end of the day is a futon/bed and something to stand the TV on. Unfortunately I was under the impression that 6 month leases were relatively common so I hadn't given this too much thought.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:48 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks, I really appreciate your and it backs up my worst fears to be honest.

Would the 8 month lease situation also be the same with all unfurnished apartments? I suppose that would be fine as all we would really need to then buy at the end of the day is a futon/bed and something to stand the TV on. Unfortunately I was under the impression that 6 month leases were relatively common so I hadn't given this too much thought.
I think that this is something that is going to be subjective, depending on what is available when you get here and what landlords are willing to accept. I know that I have not come across anything less than a 12 month lease on my travels, but then you could get lucky! Perhaps a good tenant for 8 months is better than a less desirable tenant for 12 months? That said, it is very competitive in Toronto (I can only speak of downtown) and I would be surprised if someone would accept the offer of 8 months rent versus 12. As I say, it's all down to luck and who you encounter when you get here.

Have you checked out the sublet part of Craigslist? I always thought that the selection there was over priced but it may be an option. It all depends on what sort of a place you want and how much you are willing to pay. If cost isn't a driving factor then I'm sure you can find a furnished short term place. If you are looking in the market rent, general apartment selection then I fear you may struggle to secure something with less than a 12 month commitment. Not impossible...just competitive!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I think that this is something that is going to be subjective, depending on what is available when you get here and what landlords are willing to accept. I know that I have not come across anything less than a 12 month lease on my travels, but then you could get lucky! Perhaps a good tenant for 8 months is better than a less desirable tenant for 12 months? That said, it is very competitive in Toronto (I can only speak of downtown) and I would be surprised if someone would accept the offer of 8 months rent versus 12. As I say, it's all down to luck and who you encounter when you get here.

Have you checked out the sublet part of Craigslist? I always thought that the selection there was over priced but it may be an option. It all depends on what sort of a place you want and how much you are willing to pay. If cost isn't a driving factor then I'm sure you can find a furnished short term place. If you are looking in the market rent, general apartment selection then I fear you may struggle to secure something with less than a 12 month commitment. Not impossible...just competitive!
Thanks, slightly more terrifed now than I already was but it's all part of the experience I suppose, we will be landing there at the end of this month by the way.

I'll check out the craigslist sublets tonight and see if I can get a general idea of it. I had previously left flat hunting up to my OH as she is much more into that sort of thing than me but I might need to get a bit more involved in it now. Do you know if there are many shop front-style letting agents in Toronto as well as online by the way? I only ask as that's how we found our first home together in the UK and we found it to be generally a lot easier than trying to arrange things over the net.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:06 pm

Thanks, slightly more terrifed now than I already was but it's all part of the experience I suppose, we will be landing there at the end of this month by the way.

I'll check out the craigslist sublets tonight and see if I can get a general idea of it. I had previously left flat hunting up to my OH as she is much more into that sort of thing than me but I might need to get a bit more involved in it now. Do you know if there are many shop front-style letting agents in Toronto as well as online by the way? I only ask as that's how we found our first home together in the UK and we found it to be generally a lot easier than trying to arrange things over the net.
Splendid, my work here is done I'm sure you will get sorted, I'd love to be proven wrong about the lease.

I can't think of a single place like a UK style letting agent, I'd google "short term apartment rentals toronto" and start trawling through the possibilities. Keep on Craigslist. Check out www.viewit.ca There are realtors who deal in rentals so you could check out www.mls.ca and start sending emails to agents, you never know.

Just shout if you find a possibility and want to double check about the area or something. Where do you want to stay anyway?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks man, I think to be honest we're probably going to have to start looking at house shares and other alternatives to renting our own private apartment which is something I've never done before but there's a first time for everything I suppose and we may even end up saving a bit of money that way.

I've never actually been to Toronto before so I'm not sure about areas right now. My girlfriend has but even her experience there is limited so at the moment we've just been ideally looking for somewhere downtown. To be honest, I'm not too fussed about areas as long as they're reasonably safe and the public transport links are good since neither of us drive.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

CanadaGeek will become famous soon enough

Hmmm 8 months could be difficult, but I'm sure there are places out there for you! I suppose your best choice is to aim for the aforementioned furnished place which is likely to be rather pricey but will be targeted towards a shorter stay. Most landlords who are renting a standard, residential, non-furnished place are going to want a years lease. You could get lucky and find someone who is ok with an 8 month lease but I don't like your chances and you would spend a lot of time looking at places only to be turned away once you say you can't sign a 12 month lease.

If a place is advertised as being available from Feb 1 then this is when you move in. All the details of the rent and lease would be agreed in advance of that, whenever the landlord makes their choice for a tenant. 1st and last is the norm and would be expected, I've never rented a furnished place in Canada so you might want to enquire about cleaning charges and that sort of thing.
I am surprised if this is the mindset there. I am sure if an immigrant can provide couple of good references there thath will definitely help. Does anyone has an experience/story to share regarding how they get a rental apartment there? What are the basics to know and deal with? I am trying to look on web on daily basis, however a real life experience is always better

...Geek
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaGeek
I am surprised if this is the mindset there. I am sure if an immigrant can provide couple of good references there thath will definitely help. Does anyone has an experience/story to share regarding how they get a rental apartment there? What are the basics to know and deal with? I am trying to look on web on daily basis, however a real life experience is always better

...Geek
My real life experience is exactly as described by Ireland2Canada.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

...Geek
I don't think you're grasping how competitive it is. The better email responses included "I live in the neighbourhood, I work in the neighbourhood at xyz where I earn n dollars as an abc. I can walk over and see the place at your convenience" and there were dozens of these in the first few hours. Why would a landlord, or someone looking to sublet, consider a person who has to come by subway, nevermind someone who isn't in the country?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:25 pm

...Geek
All I meant by that comment was that someone emailing from abroad to enquire about an apartment which is renting now is more likely to have their email dumped in the bin by the landlord. Why waste time on someone who is not in the country? If it is a desirable apartment in a half decent area, then that landlord will be inundated with enquiries for viewings. The guy who emails from England will not be a priority. Of course, some people have manners and may email you back but essentially if you can't come to view the apartment within a day or two and put down some serious cash then it is a waste of time.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

All I meant by that comment was that someone emailing from abroad to enquire about an apartment which is renting now is more likely to have their email dumped in the bin by the landlord. Why waste time on someone who is not in the country? If it is a desirable apartment in a half decent area, then that landlord will be inundated with enquiries for viewings. The guy who emails from England will not be a priority. Of course, some people have manners and may email you back but essentially if you can't come to view the apartment within a day or two and put down some serious cash then it is a waste of time.
Cool, thx much for details. Appreciate the time and quick reply
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think you're grasping how competitive it is. The better email responses included "I live in the neighbourhood, I work in the neighbourhood at xyz where I earn n dollars as an abc. I can walk over and see the place at your convenience" and there were dozens of these in the first few hours. Why would a landlord, or someone looking to sublet, consider a person who has to come by subway, nevermind someone who isn't in the country?
So basically Toronto is pretty much a no-go area for new arrivals who need to rent then.

Not that promising for a city which prides itself on being a beacon of multiculturalism.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So basically Toronto is pretty much a no-go area for new arrivals who need to rent then.

Not that promising for a city which prides itself on being a beacon of multiculturalism.
I didn't say that at all. "I'm in the coffee shop on the corner and have a job and a wad of cash" would be a workable pitch. "I'm in another country and will be along in a few weeks" would not. It's nothing to do with culture and everything to do with first come, first served.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I didn't say that at all. "I'm in the coffee shop on the corner and have a job and a wad of cash" would be a workable pitch. "I'm in another country and will be along in a few weeks" would not. It's nothing to do with culture and everything to do with first come, first served.
I know, I wasn't accusing you or anything at all, that's just the general opinion that I seem to be getting at the moment unfortunately.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:53 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

It's just as hard for the locals to find rented accommodation. I personally know two different sets of friends who spent over a month finding new places. It's probably best to use the internet to get an idea of rental prices, and areas that you might like to live in, be prepared to sublet (friends of mine are doing this while they move to Thailand for six months) given the length of tenancy required, and think about renting unfurnished....
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

You are true, however, as immigrant we would like to have some search prior moving...won't we? That will give us some safety/relaxation, particularly if migrating with family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.