Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Eco-friendly is Canada?

How Eco-friendly is Canada?

Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:40 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Eco-friendly is Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tar sands, anyone? Also Toronto ships its rubbish to Michigan for burial, that's not outstandingly eco-friendly. So, a bit of a mixed result, can't really compare with NZ.
I thought Toronto now ships its rubbish to St.Thomas area, about halfway to Michigan.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
and a scarily large part of the populations still doesn't trust or believe the science behind global warming.
I'd re-phrase that,

and a scarily large part of the population doesn't have enough education in science to understand half of the eco-topics of today and as a result choses to ignore them..
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Isn't Vancouver supposed to be one of the greenest cities in North America?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2157796/

Whatever these types of indexes mean (and 'sponsored by Siemens'?!? Hummmm)

Or have all the Greenpeace founders now turned into corporate hippies?

There was a great piece a while back about Harper and his ecology / green policies (or lack thereof). Pretty scary. Will try to find it again and share.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:28 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends where you are.

We don't own a tumble dryer and we only got a car a year ago (have lived here 10 years). It's quite possible in parts of Vancouver to live without one, plenty of eco products here, some cheap some not...we have a clothesline...i take transit...have belonged to car co-op...community gardens in the neighbourhood...my city has a really good compost/recycling programme in place..we're down to one very small bag of garbage every two weeks.

But, from what I understand Vancouver is a bit of an anomaly (sp?) There's more of that culture on Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands too.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

We don't own a tumble dryer and we only got a car a year ago (have lived here 10 years). It's quite possible in parts of Vancouver to live without one, plenty of eco products here, some cheap some not...we have a clothesline...i take transit...have belonged to car co-op...community gardens in the neighbourhood...my city has a really good compost/recycling programme in place..we're down to one very small bag of garbage every two weeks.

But, from what I understand Vancouver is a bit of an anomaly (sp?) There's more of that culture on Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands too.
You bring out some interesting points. Yes from the piss taking side of things we know that BC has the largest per capita hippies, granola crunchers and birkenstock wearing people who care about these things whereas other parts of Canada dont so yes BC is different.
Most major urban areas have some but not all of the things you mention.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I thought Toronto now ships its rubbish to St.Thomas area, about halfway to Michigan.
If so, that's a marginal improvement, very good!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:09 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think we dump ours in the badlands near the fraser valley. Some area no one lives.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

Vancouver and surrounds are a weird one with a huge range of environmentalist levels.

I'd say you're a definite minoriy here unfortunately.

The amount of people commuting a good distance to have a larger house, sitting in congested traffic (many with large engines), drinking takeout coffee or bottled water/juices, owning as large a TV as possible, eating fast food, etc, is astonishing. I don't imagine the design of the strip malls are most environmentally friendly either.

That's just some of the hypocrisy i see around here.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:00 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I have not seen one single washing line in Airdrie, though I did once spot a clothes horse bearing undies on someone's deck (probably a Brit)

I hate using the damn tumble dryer for everything...it's expensive and damaging to fabrics. I have a clothes horse in the basement for putting bits on that can't be tumbled.

Supermarkets, with the exception of Superstore, hand out plastic bags willy nilly- Walmart is the worst culprit, they sometimes give you separate bags for just a couple of items???

We used to recycle everything in Warwickshire, having 3 different kerbside bins. You have to pay here to get a kerbside pick up so we just drive it down when we go to the bottle bank. Old clothes, toys etc go into a box to go to the thrift store.

We have our annual City wide Garage Sale in Airdrie next month so am hoping to be able to get rid of a ton of stuff, mostly toys and kids' clothing no longer needed there.

Consignment shopping seems to be gaining in popularity here. However the ones I have visited are more like the less well organized UK Charity shops and have that nasty whiff about them
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have a blue bin for recycling paper, plastics, glass etc. In the non snow months there is yard waste pick ups too. I have seen washing lines but no one uses them, I am not sure what the bylaw on that is. Solar panels and windmills are available, I've seen them and will investigate them further in the next year or so. We tend to hoard rather than recycle, something that annoys the hell out of me and we will be doing tons of recycling in the next month or so We recycle cans and stuff for the deposit or donate them to the Air Cadets.

Our lifestyle regarding rubbish will change dramatically in the near future, we will not have curbside garbage pick up, we will have to take stuff to the dump instead, we will want to reduce the rubbish no doubt and will find ways to be recycling better, I imagine I will have quite a good compost heap eventually. I will also have a washing line that I should be able to use for oh about 15 weeks of the year
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Our lifestyle regarding rubbish will change dramatically in the near future, we will not have curbside garbage pick up, we will have to take stuff to the dump instead, we will want to reduce the rubbish no doubt and will find ways to be recycling better, I imagine I will have quite a good compost heap eventually. I will also have a washing line that I should be able to use for oh about 15 weeks of the year
Be Canadian and embrace the rural lifestyle: Get a burn barrel in the backyard.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem here is that "eco friendly" seems to be misinterpreted as doing your bit to recycle and use phosphate free detergents etc, and the whole issue that none of that much matters unless CO2 emmission are addresses quickly and comprehensively seems to have pretty much fallen by the wayside, or more likely has been thrown under the bus by those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
Vancouver and surrounds are a weird one with a huge range of environmentalist levels.

I'd say you're a definite minoriy here unfortunately.

The amount of people commuting a good distance to have a larger house, sitting in congested traffic (many with large engines), drinking takeout coffee or bottled water/juices, owning as large a TV as possible, eating fast food, etc, is astonishing. I don't imagine the design of the strip malls are most environmentally friendly either.

That's just some of the hypocrisy i see around here.
Like I said, it depends where you are.

I work for a fairly big company and 80% of us (according to company stats) bike or take transit to work. it also has a strong recycling/carbon reduction programme. And no, it's not a crunchy granola company either...more like the opposite, haha

On the other hand, the OH's industry is hopeless.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 19th 2012 at 5:27 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I will also have a washing line that I should be able to use for oh about 15 weeks of the year
I watched that "pioneer quest" show on TV with interest. They were line drying clothes that literally froze stiff as a board.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I watched that "pioneer quest" show on TV with interest. They were line drying clothes that literally froze stiff as a board.
We stayed at a B&B near the Alberta/Montana border a while ago and the owner says he dries his clothes/sheets outside year round, he hangs the sheets for a day, brings them in to defrost and then hangs them a second and third day. I think for successful year round line drying and not having musty clothes/linen you need a decent inside warm area - airing cupboard. My current laundry room doesn't hold enough warmth, I'll have to see how my new one will fair, it's much much smaller so it might work out OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.