Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How different is Toronto to Ottawa

How different is Toronto to Ottawa

Old Sep 6th 2022, 2:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How different is Toronto to Ottawa

Is it jobs that make you want to decide between the GTA and Ottawa? There are other places.
Peterborough isn't my thing but people live there quite happily
Old Sep 6th 2022, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

UK44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bats
Is it jobs that make you want to decide between the GTA and Ottawa? There are other places.
Peterborough isn't my thing but people live there quite happily
Oh we weren’t torn between the GTA and Ottawa!
We moved here specifically to move to Ottawa but we’re staying with family in the GTA in the meantime. We really don’t like it though and neither of us has spent considerable time in Ottawa, so we started to get concerned it might be the same.

Funnily enough we have considered Peterborough in the past though, as well as a few other areas. It’s always difficult to narrow it don’t when you’re new to it all, but we chose Ottawa on jobs, the schooling for the kids and the lower house prices.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 6:44 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

It's been a while since I lived in either Toronto or Ottawa but from what I remember the winters were much colder in Ottawa but the summers were similarly hot. One thing I liked about Ottawa was the quicker access to wilderness areas and parks. North of Ottawa and Gatineau there are really few built up areas and you have Gatineau Park. Both downhill and cross country ski runs are a short drive away. The Byward market, Sandyhill, Centertown, and the Glebe are easy to walk around in with shopping close by. However Ottawa has large urban sprawl like Toronto. In the winter the tower blocks rising in the distance from a bleak snowy landscape are reminiscent of some Soviet-era city. I think public transportation is good compared to other North American cities. I remember seeing lots of potholes on city roads though.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jandro
It's been a while since I lived in either Toronto or Ottawa but from what I remember the winters were much colder in Ottawa but the summers were similarly hot. One thing I liked about Ottawa was the quicker access to wilderness areas and parks. North of Ottawa and Gatineau there are really few built up areas and you have Gatineau Park. Both downhill and cross country ski runs are a short drive away. The Byward market, Sandyhill, Centertown, and the Glebe are easy to walk around in with shopping close by. However Ottawa has large urban sprawl like Toronto. In the winter the tower blocks rising in the distance from a bleak snowy landscape are reminiscent of some Soviet-era city. I think public transportation is good compared to other North American cities. I remember seeing lots of potholes on city roads though.
The parks and public transportation are definitely good news, thank you!
Old Sep 6th 2022, 11:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK44
The parks and public transportation are definitely good news, thank you!
It's a while since I've been in Ottawa but, as I remember it, transport was all buses. That meant standing outside in the dire weather waiting to see if a bus would come. I don't think that's a viable transit system. Toronto has a subway system which is, at least, warm.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 11:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a while since I've been in Ottawa but, as I remember it, transport was all buses. That meant standing outside in the dire weather waiting to see if a bus would come. I don't think that's a viable transit system. Toronto has a subway system which is, at least, warm.
its got a trainy underground overground thingy now. Remember the sinkhole that appeared when they were building it?
Old Sep 6th 2022, 11:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
its got a trainy underground overground thingy now. Remember the sinkhole that appeared when they were building it?
Nope, all news to me.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 12:23 am
limey party pooper

Nope, all news to me.
You missed the sinkhole on Rideau?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.3621949
Old Sep 8th 2022, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that Ottawa is a city built specifically to be the Capital of Canada. Just like Canberra in Australia.

That means lots of civil servants, jobs with the civil service as long as you are fluent in both official languages or are a fast learner.

There are lots of National Museums there, or in the immediate area, eg the National Museum of Civilization is literally just across the Ottawa river, even though it is officially in Gatineau, Quebec. There have been lots more parks and green areas developed since we came to Canada 50+ years ago, but also lots more "grey monstrosities" of buildings. How about ice skating to work along the Rideau Canal?? That's a favourite way to get around in the winter.

My best suggestion to you is go in person, spend at least a week in a central hotel and see for yourself what is there that suits you and what does not.

Costs to travel anywhere, especially to the UK, is long and expensive from anywhere in Canada. I can tell you that the International area of Ottawa Airport is much smaller and better than Toronto, at least it was the last time we did a stop-over.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:03 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I'd agree with most of that, having lived in the GTA (2000-2004) and Ottawa/Gatineau (2004-2019). Ottawa is probably colder and hotter, though, and it snows more.

I'd add that Gatineau Park also has lakes with nice beaches.

I'd say that Ottawa has a "downtown", while TO probably doesn't (Gatineau certainly doesn't).

Ottawa does now have a light rail system. It isn't very big and it breaks lots.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'd agree with most of that, having lived in the GTA (2000-2004) and Ottawa/Gatineau (2004-2019). Ottawa is probably colder and hotter, though, and it snows more.

I'd add that Gatineau Park also has lakes with nice beaches.

I'd say that Ottawa has a "downtown", while TO probably doesn't (Gatineau certainly doesn't).

Ottawa does now have a light rail system. It isn't very big and it breaks lots.
Long time, alright mate?
Old Sep 9th 2022, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies, they’ve really helped. We’ve arranged a few days visit next week to take a look around and see what we think. Thanks to you all, I know what to look for and where, I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 2:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Long time, alright mate?
Missed that.

Yeah, I'm alright. Been a bit busy. The UK company I worked for got bought by a competitor last year. They only wanted part of the business so I and quite a few others were made redundant. I set up again with a pal in Boston and as association with some people in New York. It's quite the adventure starting from scratch when you're nearly 60! It took a lot of work up-front. We're starting to make money but we have to work on our marketing/selling a bit. Once we crack that, the income should be quite enough to satisfy my humble needs. Our product is good and I know it is because I know the industry.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 4:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Missed that.

Yeah, I'm alright. Been a bit busy. The UK company I worked for got bought by a competitor last year. They only wanted part of the business so I and quite a few others were made redundant. I set up again with a pal in Boston and as association with some people in New York. It's quite the adventure starting from scratch when you're nearly 60! It took a lot of work up-front. We're starting to make money but we have to work on our marketing/selling a bit. Once we crack that, the income should be quite enough to satisfy my humble needs. Our product is good and I know it is because I know the industry.
Good to hear from you as well. I feared you'd succumbed to Covid!
Old Sep 16th 2022, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Missed that.

Sounds exciting but I would not have guessed that renovation to be a "humble" need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.