Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How different is Toronto to Ottawa

How different is Toronto to Ottawa

Old Sep 16th 2022, 9:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How different is Toronto to Ottawa

I'm a newby to the Ottawa thing but spent a week there. I think for real estate it is cheaper which is a disposable income advantage. The Downtown was better than I remembered.

What stops you moving to Whitby if you prefer it to where you are?

Old Sep 17th 2022, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Ottawa never felt like Toronto to me, even though there are some architectural similarities. Toronto is the international metropolis with massive skyscrapers downtown and dozens of distinct neighbourhoods, but suburban sprawl surrounds it seemingly forever. A real live to work culture, too, yet a ton of fun if you're into nightlife, restaurants, live music, etc. It's a major cultural hub obviously. People move to Toronto to make a name for themselves, to climb to the top of the corporate ladder, or to establish themselves as a professional media personality or a musician, for example. But you must love cities and embrace that lifestyle to enjoy Toronto. Living on the outskirts of the city is defeating the purpose in my opinion.

Ottawa has more of a small, walkable feel to me, less towers, less hustle and bustle, a central walkable downtown with excellent national galleries and musuems given its size, a lovely canal with walking/cycling paths, and nature and wilderness easily accessible nearby. It's also the seat of the federal government, home to bureaucrats and people who strive to become bureaucrats, and it has a more bilingual nature given that it is the capital city on the literal border of Quebec. It feels like a small city to me. People generally don't move to Ottawa to become media personalities or whatnot. Montreal and Toronto lure the ambitious career-driven folks away. Culturally, Ottawa feels more relaxed to me. There is obviously nightlife, music, etc. but at a smaller scale, and if you want that major metropolis/cultural hub feel, you go to Montreal which is nearby.

Moving to Ottawa after suburban Toronto might be like moving to Bristol after living in Slough and not enjoying London very much from Slough. Both are England, both in the same general vicinity, just slightly different flavours of English cities.

I used to love this old website called SkyScraperPage, where people would share photowalks of various cities around the world, focusing on street scenes and architecture. The photographers would often showcase the day-to-day mundane aspects of cities, so you got a sense of how it really looked beyond the typical promotional photos. Out of curiosity I went see if there were any threads on Ottawa, and sure enough: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209499

Last edited by Lychee; Sep 17th 2022 at 4:16 am.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 3:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Ottawa never felt like Toronto to me, even though there are some architectural similarities. Toronto is the international metropolis with massive skyscrapers downtown and dozens of distinct neighbourhoods, but suburban sprawl surrounds it seemingly forever. A real live to work culture, too, yet a ton of fun if you're into nightlife, restaurants, live music, etc. It's a major cultural hub obviously. People move to Toronto to make a name for themselves, to climb to the top of the corporate ladder, or to establish themselves as a professional media personality or a musician, for example. But you must love cities and embrace that lifestyle to enjoy Toronto. Living on the outskirts of the city is defeating the purpose in my opinion.

Ottawa has more of a small, walkable feel to me, less towers, less hustle and bustle, a central walkable downtown with excellent national galleries and musuems given its size, a lovely canal with walking/cycling paths, and nature and wilderness easily accessible nearby. It's also the seat of the federal government, home to bureaucrats and people who strive to become bureaucrats, and it has a more bilingual nature given that it is the capital city on the literal border of Quebec. It feels like a small city to me. People generally don't move to Ottawa to become media personalities or whatnot. Montreal and Toronto lure the ambitious career-driven folks away. Culturally, Ottawa feels more relaxed to me. There is obviously nightlife, music, etc. but at a smaller scale, and if you want that major metropolis/cultural hub feel, you go to Montreal which is nearby.

Moving to Ottawa after suburban Toronto might be like moving to Bristol after living in Slough and not enjoying London very much from Slough. Both are England, both in the same general vicinity, just slightly different flavours of English cities.

I used to love this old website called SkyScraperPage, where people would share photowalks of various cities around the world, focusing on street scenes and architecture. The photographers would often showcase the day-to-day mundane aspects of cities, so you got a sense of how it really looked beyond the typical promotional photos. Out of curiosity I went see if there were any threads on Ottawa, and sure enough: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209499
"Nearby" is a relative term. It's over 200km between Ottawa and Montreal and it can be a nightmare trip on a Friday afternoon.
Old Sep 17th 2022, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There are 3 o's in Toronto and only 1 in Ottawa
Both have 2 t's
No a's in Toronto
No r's in Ottawa
Old Sep 18th 2022, 1:24 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Good to hear from you as well. I feared you'd succumbed to Covid!
Nah. I wouldn't be surprised to find that I'm one of the supposedly few people that hasn't had it. We moved to a village just before Covid arrived and didn't really have time to get to know anyone before social distancing kicked in. We didn't and still don't really have all that much human contact. Really just chatting to the neighbours, a bit of shopping, and seeing our son/partner/grandson. I think I've had one cold in the three years we've been here.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 12:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Long time, alright mate?
Originally Posted by Souvy
Missed that.

Yeah, I'm alright. Been a bit busy. The UK company I worked for got bought by a competitor last year. They only wanted part of the business so I and quite a few others were made redundant. I set up again with a pal in Boston and as association with some people in New York. It's quite the adventure starting from scratch when you're nearly 60! It took a lot of work up-front. We're starting to make money but we have to work on our marketing/selling a bit. Once we crack that, the income should be quite enough to satisfy my humble needs. Our product is good and I know it is because I know the industry.
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Good to hear from you as well. I feared you'd succumbed to Covid!
Originally Posted by JamesM
I'm a newby to the Ottawa thing but spent a week there. I think for real estate it is cheaper which is a disposable income advantage. The Downtown was better than I remembered.

What stops you moving to Whitby if you prefer it to where you are?
"Nearby" is a relative term. It's over 200km between Ottawa and Montreal and it can be a nightmare trip on a Friday afternoon.
What, is this thread turning into a Scotland Yard reunion? One of these days I'll pop over for a pint. All the best to the lot of you.

Old Sep 18th 2022, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What, is this thread turning into a Scotland Yard reunion? One of these days I'll pop over for a pint. All the best to the lot of you.
Happy to go to the Yard when you are. Don't try staying at the Novotel now though.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 1:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to go to the Yard when you are. Don't try staying at the Novotel now though.
Hmm, I see that it's a good deal are expensive now. Give my regards to Camilla.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 1:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yeay! I've missed you
Old Sep 19th 2022, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the thread!
Old Sep 19th 2022, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth we used to live in Kanata but, for us, it was pretty busy. We moved out to Rockland which is east of Ottawa but close enough to easily commute to a park and ride station from where you get on a bus but you'll soon be able to take the LRT (Light Rail Transit) from there through downtown. The LRT is much more reliable than it was than when it first opened and is being expanded east (to Trim Road P&R) and west (Kanata) then, in about 2025, it should be open going south and include a rail spur to the airport.
If you want semi rural east of Ottawa but still in Ottawa you could try Cumberland but it you're in IT/high tech almost all of those employers are in ..........Kanata.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 11:43 pm
Slob

Sounds exciting but I would not have guessed that renovation to be a "humble" need.
The renos are pretty much done, apart from the basement windows, which have been bought and await installation. That and splitting a room in two, which I'll do this weekend.

My humble needs now largely involve scrap wood, which doesn't cost much.

I got an unusual Xmas present. 36 planks of maple (or possibly birch), each 6 feet long by 7 inches by an inch and a quarter. Old benches, we guess. It cost $200. Bought at Home Depot (if they sold maple that big) and you'd be looking at a different first digit. And a comma.

We also upcycle stuff from our local junk shop and there is a wood salvage place just up the road.

Our main room is about 30 feet square and the stairs are in the middle. Completely open. No risers or rails. Both sides now have waist-high bookcases, built entirely from the maple I recovered when we had the windows replaced. The casings were all maple.

Oh, and we have a pool. It came with the house. We use it lots. Our son has a hot tub. He uses it rarely. Just sayin'
Old Sep 20th 2022, 4:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
Quite the thread!
The Yard survived the lockdowns. Many didn't.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 4:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Quite the thread!
Remembered your password? Finally.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 12:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Nah. I wouldn't be surprised to find that I'm one of the supposedly few people that hasn't had it. We moved to a village just before Covid arrived and didn't really have time to get to know anyone before social distancing kicked in. We didn't and still don't really have all that much human contact. Really just chatting to the neighbours, a bit of shopping, and seeing our son/partner/grandson. I think I've had one cold in the three years we've been here.
Quite the thread!
Blimey. The dead are risen! Who's next Ultrarunner? :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.