Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing options

Housing options

Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice
Default Re: Housing options

Must admit I've had similar experiences when talking to people; always friendly and chatty. The one 'event' that does stick out though is when we stopped to go for a coffee in Truro and stumbled upon a 'community jumble sale' in the adjoing building (I was asking for info about the cafe). Some of the folks looked at me like I had just landed from Mars! now I'm no oil painting but it reminded me and the wife of the 'pub scene' in American Werewolf.... you made me miss!! I never miss!!!

On the religion front, neither of us are particulaly religious, so hoping that side of things would not impact upon our enjoyment. (S'pose it wouldn't if we didn't let it).
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

I can't say that religion has had a negative impact on our settlement here. Our friends go to church and volunteer at the church breakfasts. We on the other hand are somewhat more like a cross between Taoism and Druidism . We are accepted as the odd balls that we are, and embraced also.
It took me around six weeks to find the Spiritual network here. A mixed blend of all sorts of wonderful people.

Religious fanatics?. That's not been our experience here.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice

Originally Posted by heading-west
I can't say that religion has had a negative impact on our settlement here. Our friends go to church and volunteer at the church breakfasts. We on the other hand are somewhat more like a cross between Taoism and Druidism . We are accepted as the odd balls that we are, and embraced also.
It took me around six weeks to find the Spiritual network here. A mixed blend of all sorts of wonderful people.

Religious fanatics?. That's not been our experience here.
We also like the Chester, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg area. It does have that small town feel of being nice and relaxed, but still close enough to the city. Not sure my wife could live there, but I certainly could (would fit in well with my yoga, massage and Bowen Technique).
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by heading-west
And now a bank.I love the bank job ;-)
A friend of mine loved his bank job, great money, and the hours were good, however, he's now doing 10 years in Barlinnie!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be fair to Yarmouth....

It's a small town a long way from anywhere. A lot of the social aspect revolves around family and lifelong friends. Added to that the Acadian element and you can imagine it makes for many divides. There are some fantastic people in Yarmouth, we have some lovely friends there, but for the most part (99%) they were from aways...
You come in to a small rural town, with a funny accent, doing things differently. To start with they are curious, everybody has heard about you...in fact we made the front page!! But they weren't interested in going beyond that friendly smile on Main St...

For all the above, in many ways I am sad I had to leave. There is an amazing amount of Brits living in or near Yarmouth who seem to thoroughly enjoy life there so maybe a small chunk of it was that we were not made for small town NS. We come from the south east of the UK so it might have been too much of a culture shock...I don't know anymore