Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing options

Housing options

Old Mar 6th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing options

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Okay, so I can get a balanced view of the jobs situation, what was your job in NS?
I am hearing the negatives as well as the positives. I work / run a business in a specific industry, yet I can't get a reply from anyone in my chosen profession, who is currently in NS, about the relevant current job market, in previous threads I started.

So I'm trying a different approach by asking the people who have left/ struggled what they worked as. If their job was in the same industry as mine, I can make a decision and adjust my plans accordingly.

If an accountant or a nurse struggles to find work in NS, that won't make an impact on my plans.
For me, work was never a problem. For the people who I knew who have moved or are moving, all were employed and seemingly happy with their jobs. Occupations are a mixed bag- finance, sales, construction, hospitality. Getting a job in/around Halifax isnt that difficult- the reasons for being unhappy were specific to living in NS (which I've already mentioned in this thread).
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jericho79
For me, work was never a problem. For the people who I knew who have moved or are moving, all were employed and seemingly happy with their jobs. Occupations are a mixed bag- finance, sales, construction, hospitality. Getting a job in/around Halifax isnt that difficult- the reasons for being unhappy were specific to living in NS (which I've already mentioned in this thread).
At last! Thank you!

That is the only concern I had about my move to NS was finding work. While I set up my business, I will probably look for work with a company, in my industry, until I get settled.
I also needed to know, if times got slow, business wise, I could find employment to tide us over.

If the reason for everyone is leaving is because they don't fit in, then I can deal with that. We've lived in Calgary for nearly 6 years and haven't felt any community spirit, ( except for during last years floods) and haven't been a part of the expat community.

Work life is the only concern, if that is okay, we'll make the rest work. How good the malls are and the choice of restaurants isn't a deal breaker for us. We will welcome a slower, quieter pace of life.

I'm pretty sure others following the "NS debate" can make their plans with your comments in mind, and if fitting in and the attitudes of the locals is going to be a problem for some people, at least now they know.

Personally, for us, we don't see that as an issue. If it becomes one, as I said, we have no problems moving on. I think you could see that as an issue in any city in the world.

What was it you worked as in NS?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

As a footnote, your reasons for all the people you know leaving NS, sound very similar to the reasons a lot of people are leaving, or have left, the UK
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:44 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

As a footnote, your reasons for all the people you know leaving NS, sound very similar to the reasons a lot of people are leaving, or have left, the UK
the UK is stuck in the 1970s? it has a declining population? the schools are crap?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:54 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

few years ago. before we had actually moved to Canada, we contemplated the East Coast as an option. I think, overall, I'm glad we moved to the west. It's a lot further from the UK, but on the basis I haven't been back since we left, that doesn't seem to be an issue for me!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
the UK is stuck in the 1970s? it has a declining population? the schools are crap?
Retro is in, these days, isn't it? Declining population? I see quieter roads! Less crowds!
No kids, and don't plan on going to school!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Retro is in, these days, isn't it? Declining population? I see quieter roads! Less crowds!
No kids, and don't plan on going to school!
Horses for courses again!!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

My OH started out with a really crappy job with crappy money. He did that so that we could make a start here.
Our networks got him the next couple of jobs and more pay. Now he is a Maintenance Manager of a large complex of Seniors Apartments.

I worked in a coffee roasters. Retail gift shop. Call center. And now a bank.I love the bank job ;-)

I've also been doing some self employed stuff in the holistic field.

Our networks were what helped us to hear about jobs. Our connections helped us to get those jobs.

For anyone that is viewing the job vacancies from UK... you need to come here and speak to the employers.
Eye contact is 90% of the journey when you are job hunting.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice

I think you're getting a balanced view. People can only share their experiences, but if you'd rather not hear the negative ones, it's not balanced.
If you are hearing more negatives than positives, you should be able to draw your own conclusions that dont include there being an anti NS conspiracy.

If you've not already, suggest you join the two "British Expats in NS" groups on facebook. Last time I was on there, they were heavily censored so that negative comments were quickly deleted. However, it'll allow you to connect with people who still live there, and it may give you the "balanced" view you are looking for.

All the best with you decision.
It's all good in my eyes, as every bit of information can help inform our decision: I'd be foolish to not take a balanced viewpoint. Family and friends back here in the UK think I have rose tinteds on, but I'm open to both sides of the argument (besides people who have already been through the process have far more knowledge than I on the subject...hence the post).

keep the dialogue flowing people!!!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're getting a balanced view. People can only share their experiences, but if you'd rather not hear the negative ones, it's not balanced.
If you are hearing more negatives than positives, you should be able to draw your own conclusions that dont include there being an anti NS conspiracy.

If you've not already, suggest you join the two "British Expats in NS" groups on facebook. Last time I was on there, they were heavily censored so that negative comments were quickly deleted. However, it'll allow you to connect with people who still live there, and it may give you the "balanced" view you are looking for.

All the best with you decision.
Really? I haven't noticed that
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

If Halifax was anything like the UK, it would definitely be off the list! I'm not looking for anywhere that is remotely like the UK.

My thoughts are, due to the lower population, and jobs in NS, it would make the most sense to be near the capital city of the province. In DandNHill's post, living in a smaller city- Yarmouth, it was harder to fit in with the locals, and are more set in their ways.I can see that, growing up in small town Scotland, I have friends back home who have never lived anywhere else, in fact, 3 or 4 generations of their families have never lived anywhere else.
For an immigrant who wishes to move to Scotland, I would say they would be mad to move to the rural smaller towns, the obvious choices would be the bigger cities ie Glasgow, Edinburgh, or at least within commuting distance.
We found the same thing in Holland, we lived in a small town, where everyone knew there was "Scottish" that had moved in, and I had to commute to the larger cities -Amsterdam, Hilversum, Rotterdam for work. ( Although the Dutch are very warm, welcoming people. They were more curious than anything else)
Here in Calgary, anyone that comes here and lives in the smaller towns- Okotoks, Highriver, Airdrie, Cochrane, very few of them work there, I'd estimate that at least 95% all travel into Calgary for work. Just try driving to and from any of these towns during peak times!

I am wondering, from both the people that are doing well in NS, and the ones that are struggling, and are/ have left the province, what industry/ job market they are working in?

Is it highly skilled work that is in short supply, or is it office/ manual/ trades that people are struggling in? Or, is it just that NSer's are so suspicious of " from aways" that the door is closed to foreigners?
You are right that there are more jobs around the capital but as Jericho said the people weren't happy with other aspects, but if it is only work that concerns you it's probably the best area to go.

I know Danhill has had issues with locals but she is the first I have heard of that has (though I'm sure there's others). My experience though (granted I don't live there yet) is that everyone has been very warm & welcoming, & are like you say about the dutch just curious. Yes you will always be seen as someone 'from aways' because you are, but that doesn't mean they are looking at that as a negative thing.

Like I said before you get @%$wipes everywhere but those that have moved to more rural areas that are fortunate enough not to have come across any seem to be quite happy in NS, providing the job/money side works out.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by confused_uk
You are right that there are more jobs around the capital but as Jericho said the people weren't happy with other aspects, but if it is only work that concerns you it's probably the best area to go.

I know Danhill has had issues with locals but she is the first I have heard of that has (though I'm sure there's others). My experience though (granted I don't live there yet) is that everyone has been very warm & welcoming, & are like you say about the dutch just curious. Yes you will always be seen as someone 'from aways' because you are, but that doesn't mean they are looking at that as a negative thing.

Like I said before you get @%$wipes everywhere but those that have moved to more rural areas that are fortunate enough not to have come across any seem to be quite happy in NS, providing the job/money side works out.
Yarmouth is a rather odd place indeed. The local populace appear to be at the Odds with each other and do not embrace change.

My observation is that if you are looking for Britain within Canada you will be disappointed. Pub and curry nights are not the norm in rural NS. Potluck and community suppers are.

If you are prepared the adopt an attitude of "when in Rome" you will be far more likely to survive. It's more about community and survival and less about status and accumulation of wealth.

Just my two cents ;-)
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heading-west
Yarmouth is a rather odd place indeed. The local populace appear to be at the Odds with each other and do not embrace change.

My observation is that if you are looking for Britain within Canada you will be disappointed. Pub and curry nights are not the norm in rural NS. Potluck and community suppers are.

If you are prepared the adopt an attitude of "when in Rome" you will be far more likely to survive. It's more about community and survival and less about status and accumulation of wealth.

Just my two cents ;-)

Yarmouth is the only part of NS I haven't been, sounds like I'm not missing much.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Something that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is the role of religion in life in NS. A former neighbour of mine in Ontario is from NS and has a house there, a house in which he and his wife intended to spend about half of each year after they retired. They're reasonably religious by Canadian standards (nutters by UK standards) in that they attend church on Sunday, say grace before meals at home, and so on. They winter in Texas where they have a small ranch, and they participate in a congregation there.

"Cliquey and fanatical", "theologically dogmatic", were a couple of his comments on religion in small town NS. He makes Utah sound like a free and easy alternative. It's due to what they perceive to be excessive conservatism among Christians in NS that they've continued to live for the Canadian half of the year in Ontario.

I don't think I'd look at living in small town NS unless I was prepared to opt out of society; I can't be doing with Bible thumping. Mind, that's also true of where we live in Ontario, the locals won't be speaking to women who wear trousers anytime in this century - we conduct commerce with them but don't expect any communication beyond swapping beads for pelts.

It'd be interesting to know if the people who have made a go of living in the more remote areas of NS were willing to be a bit Presby.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dbd33 - Interesting. It is something of a concern to me as I'm not religious (but have nothing against it) & it's hard not to spot the millions of churches as you drive through NS. In all my years of visiting & talking to people though the religion subject has never come up. Maybe because I'm in a tourist town, they are used to all sorts of people coming through.

Religion seems to be a major part of life for most North Americans, so there's probably no escaping it wherever you go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.