Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing options

Housing options

Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:44 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing options

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Nope. I, and the other families I mentioned, and others who have contributed to this thread, all live(d) in HRM.
Not so, I don't, well not since 1971 !
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Not so, I don't, well not since 1971 !
What part of NS are you in?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Nope. I, and the other families I mentioned, and others who have contributed to this thread, all live(d) in HRM.
As a matter of interest, what industry/ field did you work in, in NS?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:38 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
What part of NS are you in?
Colchester County.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
So, does that mean that the opportunities and best lifestyle is in and around Halifax? From what I can see, the people that are struggling and disillusioned with NS all seem to have went to the smaller, rural towns.
No, I would say it was the opposite. I think people think that being around Halifax would offer the best lifestyle but get disappointed that it doesn't really compare to the UK or other major cities. People that go to the more rural places seem to throw themselves into the NS lifestyle more & only leave because of work situations, but would otherwise be quite happy there.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
No, I would say it was the opposite. I think people think that being around Halifax would offer the best lifestyle but get disappointed that it doesn't really compare to the UK or other major cities. People that go to the more rural places seem to throw themselves into the NS lifestyle more & only leave because of work situations, but would otherwise be quite happy there.
I almost entirely agree... When we were in Yarmouth we mixed a lot more with the other "come from aways" than the locals. For the most part they stuck together but that might have also had to do with the French/English divide due to it being Acadian country...
Old Mar 6th 2014, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

We live in very rural South Shore area (New Germany) and love it here.

I would say it took us about 2 years to really settle properly, that could have been in part because of the lengthy and complex immigration process. :-(

We have thrown ourselves into the community and made this place our home...and we love it! OH and I are both involved in clubs here that help us to mingle and helped us a lot during settling.

We live in a tiny old house that we are finally renovating. I raise chickens and turkeys as pets and food, have a great job that I love, lots of friends, lots of connections.

Everyone of us is different with different perspectives and expectations.

Which part of NS do you have your eye on?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice

Originally Posted by heading-west
We live in very rural South Shore area (New Germany) and love it here.

I would say it took us about 2 years to really settle properly, that could have been in part because of the lengthy and complex immigration process. :-(

We have thrown ourselves into the community and made this place our home...and we love it! OH and I are both involved in clubs here that help us to mingle and helped us a lot during settling.

We live in a tiny old house that we are finally renovating. I raise chickens and turkeys as pets and food, have a great job that I love, lots of friends, lots of connections.

Everyone of us is different with different perspectives and expectations.

Which part of NS do you have your eye on?
We've been looking around the HRM area (mainly Fall River tbh). My area of employment currently is university lecturer for sports coaching (I also am a p/t massage therapist and Bowen Therapist). When I've been looking through employment websites I do see more in other provinces (but with the strong naval presence around Halifax there's always that link). Know knows I could end training the next Sidney Crosby!!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burgesshead
We've been looking around the HRM area (mainly Fall River tbh). My area of employment currently is university lecturer for sports coaching (I also am a p/t massage therapist and Bowen Therapist). When I've been looking through employment websites I do see more in other provinces (but with the strong naval presence around Halifax there's always that link). Know knows I could end training the next Sidney Crosby!!
Who?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Who?
I googled, thinking he would be a famous navalist. It turns out that he plays, or played, iced hockey.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by confused_uk
If Halifax was anything like the UK, it would definitely be off the list! I'm not looking for anywhere that is remotely like the UK.

My thoughts are, due to the lower population, and jobs in NS, it would make the most sense to be near the capital city of the province. In DandNHill's post, living in a smaller city- Yarmouth, it was harder to fit in with the locals, and are more set in their ways.I can see that, growing up in small town Scotland, I have friends back home who have never lived anywhere else, in fact, 3 or 4 generations of their families have never lived anywhere else.
For an immigrant who wishes to move to Scotland, I would say they would be mad to move to the rural smaller towns, the obvious choices would be the bigger cities ie Glasgow, Edinburgh, or at least within commuting distance.
We found the same thing in Holland, we lived in a small town, where everyone knew there was "Scottish" that had moved in, and I had to commute to the larger cities -Amsterdam, Hilversum, Rotterdam for work. ( Although the Dutch are very warm, welcoming people. They were more curious than anything else)
Here in Calgary, anyone that comes here and lives in the smaller towns- Okotoks, Highriver, Airdrie, Cochrane, very few of them work there, I'd estimate that at least 95% all travel into Calgary for work. Just try driving to and from any of these towns during peak times!

I am wondering, from both the people that are doing well in NS, and the ones that are struggling, and are/ have left the province, what industry/ job market they are working in?

Is it highly skilled work that is in short supply, or is it office/ manual/ trades that people are struggling in? Or, is it just that NSer's are so suspicious of " from aways" that the door is closed to foreigners?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry OP, your original reason for posting has gotten a bit lost!
It's just that every thread on here regarding Nova Scotia ends up the same, IE, reasons not to move there, and I'm curious to find out why some are successful and others can't make it work.
Unfortunately, we mostly only hear from the latter.

I'm sure the OP and others that are planning to move there and give it a go, that's myself included, are interested in a more balanced view, to help make their choices / decisions easier.

Anyway, if this winter doesn't end soon, we may just forget about NS and go somewhere warm!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Sorry OP, your original reason for posting has gotten a bit lost!
It's just that every thread on here regarding Nova Scotia ends up the same, IE, reasons not to move there, and I'm curious to find out why some are successful and others can't make it work.
Unfortunately, we mostly only hear from the latter.

I'm sure the OP and others that are planning to move there and give it a go, that's myself included, are interested in a more balanced view, to help make their choices / decisions easier.
I think you're getting a balanced view. People can only share their experiences, but if you'd rather not hear the negative ones, it's not balanced.
If you are hearing more negatives than positives, you should be able to draw your own conclusions that dont include there being an anti NS conspiracy.

If you've not already, suggest you join the two "British Expats in NS" groups on facebook. Last time I was on there, they were heavily censored so that negative comments were quickly deleted. However, it'll allow you to connect with people who still live there, and it may give you the "balanced" view you are looking for.

All the best with you decision.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 6:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're getting a balanced view. People can only share their experiences, but if you'd rather not hear the negative ones, it's not balanced.
If you are hearing more negatives than positives, you should be able to draw your own conclusions that dont include there being an anti NS conspiracy.

If you've not already, suggest you join the two "British Expats in NS" groups on facebook. Last time I was on there, they were heavily censored so that negative comments were quickly deleted. However, it'll allow you to connect with people who still live there, and it may give you the "balanced" view you are looking for.

that's hilarious. Why are they doing that? Are they hoping no one will notice the negative things about NS?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, so I can get a balanced view of the jobs situation, what was your job in NS?
I am hearing the negatives as well as the positives. I work / run a business in a specific industry, yet I can't get a reply from anyone in my chosen profession, who is currently in NS, about the relevant current job market, in previous threads I started.

So I'm trying a different approach by asking the people who have left/ struggled what they worked as. If their job was in the same industry as mine, I can make a decision and adjust my plans accordingly.

If an accountant or a nurse struggles to find work in NS, that won't make an impact on my plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.