Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Houses in Canada

Houses in Canada

Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses in Canada

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
fairynuff, just re-read your post, I haven't been to Edmonton, but I know a couple of folks who came from there and prefer Winnipeg. Vancouver is pretty expensive as you probably know. Are you visiting all of these places on your recce?
OMG they prefer Winnipeg? WOW. WOW. kind of says it all really.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:08 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vettemaster
Why would most canadians not want to live in Edmonton?
Edmonton, aka Deadmonton. Well. It's not THAT bad. I have a few friends that live there. It's just a very, um, prairie-ish city (flat, v. cold in winter, hot in summer) and not particularly pretty. This is not helped by the fact that a lot of DT Edmonton was built during the "Brutalism" phase in architecture (according to friend that works for the city), plus, things have to be built to withstand extreme cold. Plus it's a pretty car-orientated city.

On the flipside, people are friendly, it's way cheaper than other places for homes. It'll be better than Fort Mac for sure. My friends that live there love it, however, a big pull for both of them was family (they both have young kids) and I think that makes up for the negatives.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
There you have it, Winnipeg is not that bad shocker!!!

Actually the 'peg is a pretty easy place to live
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

I know Ive heard Winnipeg is even worse and bad crime. RESEARCH!!!!!!!! OP Do your homework before leaving
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dunstable Diva
Some houses are very lovely and some are cold and shed like. Newer houses are better insulated and less maintenance. I live in a 1970s house which has been " renovated " (badly upon closer inspection) and it is cold. And yes having a big house seems like a dream but you have to clean it, maintain it, cool it, heat it and dont forget the winters are long and cold. And yes I know UK has been hit hard this year but lets not harp on about that. Oh BTW most Canadians dont even want to live in Edmonton!!!!!!
very true. Still nice to have the space though
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:12 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Too right! Something we have a lack off here
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:16 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

fairynuff, just re-read your post, I haven't been to Edmonton, but I know a couple of folks who came from there and prefer Winnipeg. Vancouver is pretty expensive as you probably know. Are you visiting all of these places on your recce?
We are going to visit as many places as we can although we do know someone who is a member here who is also from Burnham on sea,somerset and lives in Edmonton
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Too right! Something we have a lack off here
One of the things that always perplexes me is that many of these canadian houses are nice and spacious, but they are often very close together, with overlooked yards etc, you would think with all that space and all things would be more spread out
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

At first i thought i had died and gone to heaven in my 2700sq ft half acre home. Then after 4 years we had had enough and moved to a 1900 sq ft house on .47 acre with no basement and enjoy hanging out with my kids again. I think we can get too materialistic and whats the deal with these big trucks. I wanted one so bad when we moved here, now i wouldnt drive one if you paid me. Its all too pretentious (well it is here in Kelowna)......
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:19 pm

One of the things that always perplexes me is that many of these canadian houses are nice and spacious, but they are often very close together, with overlooked yards etc, you would think with all that space and all things would be more spread out
True. very true.

This is one of the reasons we bought in an older neighbourhood.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dunstable Diva
At first i thought i had died and gone to heaven in my 2700sq ft half acre home. Then after 4 years we had had enough and moved to a 1900 sq ft house on .47 acre with no basement and enjoy hanging out with my kids again. I think we can get too materialistic and whats the deal with these big trucks. I wanted one so bad when we moved here, now i wouldnt drive one if you paid me. Its all too pretentious (well it is here in Kelowna)......
Yeah, I mean, we downsized from a big for vancouver townhouse (1500 sq ft, double garage) to get into a house of around 1000 sq ft. sometimes I miss the space.

I don't miss cleaning 3x bathrooms etc. however. Or all the endless vacuuming of 2 sets of stairs.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:21 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember Vancouver, Vancouver

Houses in Canada-kitsbeach-stanleypark.jpg

Houses in Canada-vancouver_.jpg

Houses in Canada-vancouver_aerial.jpg

here is a link to a thread with some pics if interested:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nest+Buildings
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:23 pm

Somebody post some pics of Edmonton!!!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are going to visit as many places as we can although we do know someone who is a member here who is also from Burnham on sea,somerset and lives in Edmonton

It's nice in june in Winnipeg, should be greening up nicely by then and the mozzies shouldnt have kicked in yet.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dboy
Remember Vancouver, Vancouver

Attachment 97991

Attachment 97992

Attachment 97993

here is a link to a thread with some pics if interested:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nest+Buildings
These pictures are beautiful thanks for sharing. There are some beautiful pics of UK on one of these forums cant remember which one. Do you know how consruction is doing in Van?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.