Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House price correction -25%

House price correction -25%

Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:36 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House price correction -25%

Originally Posted by Boy d
I liked some of NS that I saw.... And at least based on appearances would not rule the areas I saw out. Mahone bay and other areas around there were lovely. The cheap housing is a massive bonus though. As with anywhere it comes down to work. Not many policing jobs that way.
So would if the house prices were on a par, would you live in Vancouver or elsewhere in NS?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
So would if the house prices were on a par, would you live in Vancouver or elsewhere in NS?
It's an interesting question but I wonder if you will get honest responses, considering the touchiness of some posters about NS.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:42 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know, maybe...my long term plan is Victoria with a winter home elsewhere. I love Victoria and its big enough to provide what we need with the option of work if we wanted to work....there is real charm to some ares of NS and I would recommend a visit. People who say there is no culture or history here will be pleasantly surprised....climate wise, it's probably similar to Vancouver.....with colder winters.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiousity, how many people would still choose to move to Nova Scotia, NB, AB, etc, if house prices where on par with the reality and perception of Greater Vancouver and surrounds?
I have never been to Vancouver, but I have travelled all over the world. I have never attended any location that was so "perfect" that it made me think that I just had to live there.

I am happy where I am. The location is not spectacular but, all things considered, it ticks the right boxes for me and my family at this time in our lives.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:53 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have never been to Vancouver, but I have travelled all over the world. I have never attended any location that was so "perfect" that it made me think that I just had to live there.

I am happy where I am. The location is not spectacular but, all things considered, it ticks the right boxes for me and my family at this time in our lives.
Me neither...for me there's no point in considering somewhere if it does not meet basic needs such as housing, work, immigration requirements, ease of comminicating with the locals etc....the rest becomes fluff really. Victoria is the one place I always seem to be drawn to with the consideration that is fulfills basic requirements and has a decent climate and is a nice place too.

I doubt there is utopia anywhere on the planet.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Me neither...for me there's no point in considering somewhere if it does not meet basic needs such as housing, work, immigration requirements, ease of comminicating with the locals etc....the rest becomes fluff really. Victoria is the one place I always seem to be drawn to with the consideration that is fulfills basic requirements and has a decent climate and is a nice place too.

I doubt there is utopia anywhere on the planet.
There are several real life actual towns called Utopia ones in Florida, Ohio, Australia and even New Brunswick

http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/nb/utopia-profile.htm
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiousity, how many people would still choose to move to Nova Scotia, NB, AB, etc, if house prices where on par with the reality and perception of Greater Vancouver and surrounds?
I much prefer Vancouver to Halifax. There's nowt wrong with Halifax, but I just like Vancouver, the proximity to the mountains, the diversity, etc.

However, proximity to the UK is a concern for us- I have two young kids, and keeping them in contact with family in the UK is already difficult enough, but would be so much harder if the time difference was 8hrs instead of 4.

As much as I like Vancouver, I simply wouldnt want to double my mortgage to live there.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It's an interesting question but I wonder if you will get honest responses, considering the touchiness of some posters about NS.
Not touchy about NS. Touchy about ignorant comments by people who look down their nose at it. What are the odds that you've never even been there?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Not touchy about NS. Touchy about ignorant comments by people who look down their nose at it. What are the odds that you've never even been there?
Vancouver people look down on everyone, what makes you think NS should be an exception?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:59 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Vancouver people look down on everyone, what makes you think NS should be an exception?
exactly.

But seriously... it's more fair to say Vancouverites don't really think about NS..I don't know anyone that looks down on it. It's too far away for a start. (see previous comments about where Vanners vacay).

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 27th 2012 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

MajesticMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

exactly.

But seriously... it's more fair to say Vancouverites don't really think about NS..I don't know anyone that looks down on it. It's too far away for a start. (see previous comments about where Vanners vacay).
How funny, that was sarcasm right? I thought you were an expert on NS......
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by MajesticMajor
How funny, that was sarcasm right? I thought you were an expert on NS......
Yeaaaah..not.

Not being sarky either - telling the truth. I guarantee you I can go weeks without hearing anyone talk about NS but it's not because anyone thinks it's shit, just because it's not even on the radar if that makes sense.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Yeaaaah..not.

Not being sarky either - telling the truth. I guarantee you I can go weeks without hearing anyone talk about NS but it's not because anyone thinks it's shit, just because it's not even on the radar if that makes sense.
Likewise here with Vancouver, or MB, or Sask....
It was the same when I was in AB- people rarely spoke of anywhere else.
Why should/would anyone?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:06 pm

Why should/would anyone?
exactly
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:16 pm
Banned

Why should/would anyone?
Just like to point out I spok positively of the place....Sydney and new Glasgow not so much so, but Halifax and Lower sackvill e I rather liked. The place does tend to feel a bit down trodden in paces though, not unlike manchester.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.