Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House price correction -25%

House price correction -25%

Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House price correction -25%

Originally Posted by iaink
I take Jons point, but Im guessing the average home buyer out there is not a retiree... Housing has to be affordable for those on the bottom rung in order for any property farther up the ladder to move as part of the chain.
The meteoric rise in prices in Vancouver pre 2012 was driven by buyers who didn't need to earn a living in Vancouver. Hence the ratio went completely out of wack.

In 2012 these buyers are not here and a fall of 25% from the peak for a house of a certain type and price is not at all unreasonable. It will likely be more. It doesn't much affect the ordinary joe who has to work for his living. He bought a $300k townhouse in Langley.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am also wary of the much quoted price to average earnings ratio. I expect to retire in 10 years or so and by then everything will be paid off and I will have everything I need to maintain the material standard of living I have now. However, my income will be lower. This does not mean that my house has suddenly become overpriced.
I don't understand what you are saying here. The ratio isn't calculated based on a house owners income compared to their own house value - it's based on the ratio of median house price to median earnings.

A housing market is overpriced if in the long term the average first time buyer entering the market cannot afford to buy an average house. That is based on what people earn - even if in the short/medium term, most people entering the market have been cash buyers (like in Vancouver)
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't understand what you are saying here. The ratio isn't calculated based on a house owners income compared to their own house value - it's based on the ratio of median house price to median earnings.

A housing market is overpriced if in the long term the average first time buyer entering the market cannot afford to buy an average house. That is based on what people earn - even if in the short/medium term, most people entering the market have been cash buyers (like in Vancouver)
Well yes. It is a very useful ratio in a community where most people are working for living. Prices are capped by peoples' ability to raise and service their mortgages.

In Vancouver itself the top of the market was driven by overseas investors who don't have any (Canadian) income. Then there are wealthy people with good accountants, and empty nesters selling their mortgage free family homes in the 'burbs and retiring in smaller homes in the city. All these buyers will skew the price to income ratio.

I am not saying that it is a useless ratio but needs to be viewed in context. A 5:1 ratio in the working community could be much more indicative of a price collapse than a 10:1 ratio where the market is set by investors.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If the top end of the housing market goes for a crap, does it really matter then?

I can live with people with enough money to take a chance investing it in $3M homes getting their fingers burned, they have other assets to fall back on. If buyers dry up at that end of the market then prices will presumably fall, but while its a lot of $$$, what percentage of all the house sales is that in reality?

Whats scary is if the bottom and middle of the housing market collapses, and the people who have to work to pay the mortgage get burned.

What is the chance of that happening, or is it like a house of cards where if the top falls the whole thing is in trouble?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Well yes. It is a very useful ratio in a community where most people are working for living. Prices are capped by peoples' ability to raise and service their mortgages.

In Vancouver itself the top of the market was driven by overseas investors who don't have any (Canadian) income. Then there are wealthy people with good accountants, and empty nesters selling their mortgage free family homes in the 'burbs and retiring in smaller homes in the city. All these buyers will skew the price to income ratio.

I am not saying that it is a useless ratio but needs to be viewed in context. A 5:1 ratio in the working community could be much more indicative of a price collapse than a 10:1 ratio where the market is set by investors.
Ok, I agree with that. I guess I got confused by you using yourself as an example.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
What is the chance of that happening, or is it like a house of cards where if the top falls the whole thing is in trouble?
Hard to say. Sentiment is a big factor - the big losses may well be at the top, but they still affect the average. People see prices falling, then they hold off buying. So you get a positive feed back cycle which does affect the rest of the economy - people don't buy houses, they don't do reno's, they don't buy new stuff for their house etc etc.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

As above, in normal situations prices are capped by the ability to raise and service a mortgage. Therefore secure jobs and interest rates become the major drivers to prices. Seeing investors losing money on high-end homes should not make much of a difference.

However, Alan is right that sentiment does play a part in the short-term.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

muffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond reputemuffback has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices in Vancouver are completely over-inflated. The market has been primarily driven by foreign investors, many from mainland China. They have bought multiple properties (usually condos) and flipped them for a 10% profit a time, then repeated several times. The party is coming to an end as the world economy gets worse- expect large corrections.

I have lived in London, Sydney and Edinburgh. While there is foreign investment in the housing stock, there is also a lot of corporate HQs and financial institutions resulting in higher wages. I can honestly say that I find Vancouver property prices much more more over inflated than any of the aforementioned cities.

Not just me that thinks this. "The 8th annual Demographia study places Vancouver as the second most unaffordable housing market in 325 international markets (Hong Kong is first). Vancouver's median house price to median income ratio is 10.6, whereas New York and London have ratios of "only" 6.2 and 6.9".

Last edited by muffback; Jul 26th 2012 at 8:03 pm. Reason: mis-spelling
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by muffback
They have bought multiple properties (usually condos) and flipped them for a 10% profit a time, then repeated several times. The party is coming to an end as the world economy gets worse- expect large corrections.
This is a little out of date. The last few years of rises haven't been due to condo flipping. The cause is aggressive marketing of Vancouver to Chinese investors coupled with new regulations in china to help cool down the housing market there. Basically China exported part of it's own housing bubble to Vancouver which caused a massive spike in prices in a few specific areas - however generally prices haven't risen that much (if at all) outside those areas.

I have lived in London, Sydney and Edinburgh. While there is foreign investment in the housing stock, there is also a lot of corporate HQs and financial institutions resulting in higher wages. I can honestly say that I find Vancouver property prices much more more over inflated than any of the aforementioned cities.
All true. However Vancouver has a disproportionate number of cash buyers. See JonboyE's posts above.

Not just me that thinks this. "The 8th annual Demographia study places Vancouver as the second most unaffordable housing market in 325 international markets (Hong Kong is first). Vancouver's median house price to median income ratio is 10.6, whereas New York and London have ratios of "only" 6.2 and 6.9".
These stats are quite well known here as it's been like that for years already. Personally I think a reasonable long term ratio is about 3:1, however Canadians (stupidly imo) get mortgages based on affordability rather than income multiples. So you also need to look at repayments vs earnings - although that's still nuts. I *think* it's over 50%, but I'm not sure of the exact number and I can't be arsed to google it.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:40 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

It's really cheered me up this thread

I'm just about to hopefully complete on a house purchase in ON and your all saying the ar$e is going to drop out of it straight away.

Great !
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:44 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
It's really cheered me up this thread

I'm just about to hopefully complete on a house purchase in ON and your all saying the ar$e is going to drop out of it straight away.

Great !
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

They've been predicting this for ages. As long as you can easily afford your house and you love where you live who cares? Screw the market. It only matters if you're trying to sell or planning to sell fairly soon.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

They've been predicting this for ages. As long as you can easily afford your house and you love where you live who cares? Screw the market. It only matters if you're trying to sell or planning to sell fairly soon.
Very true. Newly arrived immigrants are at financial risk if prices to drop. Especially the gung ho ones who's reality is slightly different to what they expected
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The only certainty with any market is that sooner or later it crashes/corrects.

The government has tried to cheat the housing market but it is running out of weapons.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm expecting the new mortgage rules and also CIC freezing the FSW1 and Investor immigration routes to reduce the price of housing in Vancouver. I'm fairly confident that part of the appeal of Canadian city property in the global market is the fact Canada is relatively easy to immigrate into, especially when compared to the US.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:27 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Where we are in Vancouver, at the back end of last year properties were going above asking through bidding wars.

First quarter of this year they were going for asking

Second quarter they were going slightly under asking.

Since then, they're only selling when the seller drops the price substantially, and even then a few are still on the market.

I'll personally hold off buying for a while yet to see where things settle. Buying now in many areas of Vancouver and surrounds is a financial risk unless you're in long term.
I agree. And if u look at the lack of offers over asking now, there already has been a correction of sorts. Sales are down to their lowest in 10 years and inventory above 10 months worth. Lots of property here over 1 million, so the new lending rules will be more profound in vancouver.

Personally, I think we need to experience some pain for the longterm well- being of the place. Prices here have ruined the place and had turned the city into largely an exclusive resort town

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.