Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House price correction -25%

House price correction -25%

Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:07 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House price correction -25%

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The last reported average house price in Vancouver was $697,151 June 2012. Now I know all the houses arent in that price range but using those figures and the 25% correction that would bring it down to about $530,000.
Does that sound realistic or is it the usual BS from all types of economists and so called experts justifying their positions as they all really informed us about the 2008 crash didnt they
Im not trying to insult people who work in this particular area or their abilities but isnt it all speculation like the oil prices or putting up a high number to reassure people that eventually the market will correct itself but at much less than the 25% predicted.
Here Alan2005 Im also saying it Ït wont happen in my neck of the woods prices are still rising in some parts but decreasing overall but our average price is only $254,036 down about 2 grand from the previous average price.
Average prices are on the rise in Regina, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City.
All housing in Canada has doubled pretty much since the mid 1990s and is now historically high relative to income and will crash at some point, and this in regard it is no different to any of the other countries that have seen their land inflated so much so as to require heavy financing to purchase.

Where I think Canada differs from the other places is that it has only one area that is highly desirable to older people and retirees - SW BC. With so many people hitting retirement all at once soon I think this should help keep BC prices propped up while other areas crash. But so hard to predict.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zen10
All housing in Canada has doubled pretty much since the mid 1990s and is now historically high relative to income and will crash at some point, and this in regard it is no different to any of the other countries that have seen their land inflated so much so as to require heavy financing to purchase.

Where I think Canada differs from the other places is that it has only one area that is highly desirable to older people and retirees - SW BC. With so many people hitting retirement all at once soon I think this should help keep BC prices propped up while other areas crash. But so hard to predict.
Have you seen the price of property in Florida? Given the choice, I'm sure most would rather retire there, or Phoenix, for example.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:54 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Have you seen the price of property in Florida? Given the choice, I'm sure most would rather retire there, or Phoenix, for example.
But they can't retire there because it is a foreign country which they can access only by extension of visas, and other problems like healthcare insurance mean extra problems. I know a Canadian couple who used B2 to spend a few months in Florida every year in their retirement but had to stop when they got too old for the journey, which rather defeats the purpose of a retirement home. They ended up seeing out their days on VI, the ultimate fate of all well-heeled Canadians.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:11 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The fun part of the Canadian housing market, is the wealthy want to retire to Vancouver thus continuing to push/prop up a market to the point the ordinary just can't afford to buy, and everybody hopes for the crash that just never quite comes..
Toronto (GTA) is pushed and propped by its influx of immigrants, a population with some coming for jobs from within Canada (a third of Newfoundland works here) but many more from outside Canada and arriving with enough cash for a deposit on a expensive bigger house they can just afford, but still they pay...
These economic drivers allow other regions to pretend that the overall economy is still go up and then they borrow to the point they make Americans look responsible..

Corrections will happen and bubbles will burst where there is no more internal pressure to keep them inflated, but in those odd regions that get pressure from the outside don't expect the bubble to burst dramatically, maybe just deflate a little and wrinkle around the edges a bit...
Others, well they'll need more from the federal coffers and so the equalization payments will blur reality again...

so net result, soft bubbles and more taxes
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You'll have to explain this to me. Because I see it as the exact opposite - the only way interest rates will go up is if what jerico describes happens and the bond market forces it upon them.
Well, although Cdns have a good proportion of equity in their homes I can't imagine the BOC will have an interest in vast amounts of further people extending that 150% of personal debt statistic any further. So, although inflation is pretty low/stable right now I can see rates rising next year in line with some other measures taken (e.g. annulling the 30 yr mortgage) to keep this in check a bit.

But I'm no economist so could be wrong. That's my thinking though.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:02 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

thought it timely to post an update....

Well, indications are that the vancouver housing market is in full retreat. Prices on the west side are already down 12 percent (higher if one includes the over offers).

Sales are at their lowest in a decade and inventory is rising.

Fundamentals are way out of wack with something like 12 x income required for an average west side home.

Following is a great summary of the nature of the re here and why it is folly to not believe we are facing down a bubble:

http://www.theeconomicanalyst.com/co...canadian-banks
Old Aug 5th 2012, 5:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
thought it timely to post an update....

Well, indications are that the vancouver housing market is in full retreat. Prices on the west side are already down 12 percent (higher if one includes the over offers).

Sales are at their lowest in a decade and inventory is rising.

Fundamentals are way out of wack with something like 12 x income required for an average west side home.

Following is a great summary of the nature of the re here and why it is folly to not believe we are facing down a bubble:

http://www.theeconomicanalyst.com/co...canadian-banks
Thanks for the link, boy d. Very interesting!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We once again urge clients to consider how best to position themselves to strategically position their portfolio in light of the high potential of a significant housing correction in Canada, particularly in BC. We’re always happy to discuss potential long, short, and derivative trades with clients.

It is a sales pitch.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:08 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We once again urge clients to consider how best to position themselves to strategically position their portfolio in light of the high potential of a significant housing correction in Canada, particularly in BC. We’re always happy to discuss potential long, short, and derivative trades with clients.

It is a sales pitch.
There,s a lot of external data that is used to make a very compelling argument.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

There always is......
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:46 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand Solo, a new highrise in Burnaby had 2000 people lined up to see new showroom and sold out in
2 days.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
On the other hand Solo, a new highrise in Burnaby had 2000 people lined up to see new showroom and sold out in
2 days.
Suckers
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of external data and I am not disputing any of it. However, he uses it carelessly. For example, he mixes up statistics between metro and city Vancouver to support his conclusion. This in itself means I find it hard to take the rest of it seriously. The excessive use of bolding reinforces my belief this is a sales pitch rather than a serious analysis.

He seems intent on creating fear an uncertainty in the reader's mind. Fear and uncertainty he can assuage with the products he is selling.

That said, if I had bought a $5m home on the Westside last year I would have a twitching sphincter by now.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

alidew is an unknown quantity at this point

we're just beginning to look at where we might want to move to, and I have to say the house prices surprised me. $1m CAD for somewhere in Calgary 'burbs ! Also for what it's worth, friends of mine who live in Edmonton go on holiday in NS and they love it ! I also have cousins in Halifax who love it there too :-)
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:21 pm
Banned

vancouver real estate continues to soften....there were only a total of 66 sales in all of vancouver yesterday. Inventory is on the rise and prices are falling:

http://vancouverpricedrop.wordpress.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.