Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House is on the market!

House is on the market!

Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House is on the market!

Originally Posted by steve666
My wife is coming back after we land to work until xmas (probably) in a contract job so she'll deal with the sale. Although I still want it gone by August at the latest.
Being on my own to sell the house would be even worse! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your sale will completed by August. When are you landing? My OH has done the landing bit so that is out of the way.

Joanne
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Being on my own to sell the house would be even worse! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your sale will completed by August. When are you landing? My OH has done the landing bit so that is out of the way.

Joanne
Thanks. We're probably off to Ontario, between Barrie and Toronto, but that's not cast in stone, I prefer BC but we've got things to consider with the kids so there you go. Where are you going? I thought you both had to land at the same time? Or did you land with spouse/partner then come back again? What happened about goods to follow list and such? Sorry, you don't have to answer these questions, just curious

Last edited by steve666; Mar 24th 2007 at 4:09 pm. Reason: wrong gender?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

We're having our house valued in early May and then putting it on the market later that month. It gives us 5 - 6 months to sell it. I'm hoping it takes half that. We are already "house doctoring" our place - and to be honest it makes a massive difference. Neutral walls, clutter in the loft, all small DIY stuff done and lovely, presentable front garden. Some of teh things have been so quick and easy we're wondering why we didn't do them 2 years ago!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We're probably off to Ontario, between Barrie and Toronto, but that's not cast in stone, I prefer BC but we've got things to consider with the kids so there you go. Where are you going? I thought you both had to land at the same time? Or did you land with him then come back again? What happened about goods to follow list and such? Sorry, you don't have to answer these questions, just curious
My father was Canadian so I have Canadian citizenship. My father was from Stratford, Ontario and we visited the area several times (quite a few years ago!) My brother emigrated to the Sunshine Coast 4 years ago and we visited him in 2005. We loved BC - did the usual Rockies, Vancouver, Van Island and Sunshine coast trip.

We decided to move as we wanted a change of lifestyle, outdoor life, some land and were getting SO fed up with Blair's Britain and couldn't see things in England improving. We have 3 children and the youngest, Tom, is emigrating with us (he has Canadian citizenship via me). He works in IT but wants a change and hopes to run his own business.

My husband applied for family sponsorship last April and actually landed in October. We have decided that Vancouver Island is for us and we hope to buy a property with some acreage. It will be so nice to actually have space around us - no neighbours just feet away. I would like a small hobby farm growing vegs, fruit and flowers. Well that is the plan!

When OH landed at Vancouver (with me) they weren't very interested in a goods to follow list - they didn't even keep a copy. We weren't too bothered as I will be classed as a "Returning Resident" and will be allowed to bring back my goods - despite never having lived in Canada! We will meet that problem when it happens - probably a whole new can of worms!

Joanne

Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you told people viewing that you are emigrating ?????

Gaynor x
Have been thinking about this, I think our line will be "we're emigrating, if we can get the right price we'll sell, if not we'll rent it out".

..thus confirming we're a good seller and are not in a chain, but that we won't be a walk over and take a silly offer.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

tom5sk is on a distinguished road

For people putting their house on the market later this year remember that the Home Information Packs start in June.

If on the market before that date was informed then do not need to get one until sometime in 2008.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom5sk
For people putting their house on the market later this year remember that the Home Information Packs start in June.

If on the market before that date was informed then do not need to get one until sometime in 2008.
I was told by our estate agent that they come into force in Jan 2008. But yes they'll start from June. More money for solicitors as far as I can tell.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

My father was Canadian so I have Canadian citizenship. My father was from Stratford, Ontario and we visited the area several times (quite a few years ago!) My brother emigrated to the Sunshine Coast 4 years ago and we visited him in 2005. We loved BC - did the usual Rockies, Vancouver, Van Island and Sunshine coast trip.

We decided to move as we wanted a change of lifestyle, outdoor life, some land and were getting SO fed up with Blair's Britain and couldn't see things in England improving. We have 3 children and the youngest, Tom, is emigrating with us (he has Canadian citizenship via me). He works in IT but wants a change and hopes to run his own business.

My husband applied for family sponsorship last April and actually landed in October. We have decided that Vancouver Island is for us and we hope to buy a property with some acreage. It will be so nice to actually have space around us - no neighbours just feet away. I would like a small hobby farm growing vegs, fruit and flowers. Well that is the plan!

When OH landed at Vancouver (with me) they weren't very interested in a goods to follow list - they didn't even keep a copy. We weren't too bothered as I will be classed as a "Returning Resident" and will be allowed to bring back my goods - despite never having lived in Canada! We will meet that problem when it happens - probably a whole new can of worms!

Joanne

Ahh, I understand now, makes things a lot easier if you're a citizen! Yes as I've said BC would be my destination, probably the Kamloops but hey ho such is compromise. I would love a bit of land, even if it's just half an acre, it'll do for me
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:32 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Will anyone share their house selling experiences - good and bad? Any experiences of house viewers from hell?

Joanne
Lets see. Put it on the market about 8 weeks ago. 1st viewing we had, they loved it. "We want to buy it". Had they sold? Erm no, their house wasn't even on the market.

2nd couple to view, "we want to be in, within 2 weeks". 2 weeks later they came back for a second viewing. They actually wanted a conservatory, which we haven't got, and a bathroom ensuite, which we haven't got. More timewasters.

3rd couple viewed on a Saturday, 2nd viewing the Sunday - the day we went to Orlando on hols. That was 26th Feb. Made an offer on the Tuesday, we accepted. They want to be in on 30th March. I said from start we need 2 weeks from exchange of contracts to completion to which they agreed. My sister had keys whilst we were away so they said they'd get survey done ASAP, no problems. Get back from hols, no survey done. Tuesday we got back mardy ar**d surveyor left a message on my mobile for me to ring him asap to rearrange the survey as we weren't at home at the agreed time. I rang my wife immediately, at home and she answered. Ring the mardy surveyor back who had gone to number 25 when ours is 15!

Exchange day should have been 16 March, didn't happen. It will be following Tuesday....didn't happen. We'll do it Wednesday...guess what? It was then definitely going to be Thursday, if not Thursday Friday, ie yesterday....still waiting. It "might" be Monday now but guess what? They still want to be in on 30th! The English house buying/selling system is RUBBISH. The Canadian and Scottish systems are far better.

We're closing on a house in NB on 1st May. I hope this house sells, but if they mess about more and they don't buy it, I will just stay behind until it does sell. I cannot wait to never have to sell another house in the UK.

Anyone want to buy an investment flat with a tenant? Thats my next thing to get rid of.....

Look on the brightside though, you will go through such PAIN, STRESS and ANGER over your house sale that when you finally land it Canada it will be all the more sweeter.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I was told by our estate agent that they come into force in Jan 2008. But yes they'll start from June. More money for solicitors as far as I can tell.
Our estate agent confirmed the June start date - he thinks this will include the energy survey and also all the searches. He seems to think they will then include the survey from next year - sneaking it in by the back door! There is supposed to be an announcement on March 28th about the June date.

The energy survey will be money for old rope!

Joanne

Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Our estate agent confirmed the June start date - he thinks this will include the energy survey and also all the searches. He seems to think they will then include the survey from next year - sneaking it in by the back door! There is supposed to be an announcement on March 28th about the June date.

Joanne

I'm praying we get an offer by end of April, I don't want to get involved in all that nonsense.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Joanne

When our buyers surveyor came i asked him about this new "Homebuyers report" and he seemed to suggest that the jury is still out on whether the actual survey will become compulsory as part of the pack. He said that a lot of people in the industry think it won't happen for a long time if at all.