Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House is on the market!

House is on the market!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default House is on the market!

Our house is now officially for sale! Advert in paper, picture in agent's window and on the internet. As soon as it is sold Vancouver Island here we come!

I think this is going to be the most stressful part of the whole adventure. I keep imagining not being able to sell the house - wondering what we would do. Is this a common feeling? I don't want to end up a nervous wreck.

Will anyone share their house selling experiences - good and bad? Any experiences of house viewers from hell?

Joanne
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House is on the market!

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Our house is now officially for sale! Advert in paper, picture in agent's window and on the internet. As soon as it is sold Vancouver Island here we come!

I think this is going to be the most stressful part of the whole adventure. I keep imagining not being able to sell the house - wondering what we would do. Is this a common feeling? I don't want to end up a nervous wreck.

Will anyone share their house selling experiences - good and bad? Any experiences of house viewers from hell?

Joanne
Where shall i start.
The house buying/selling lark in the UK sucks!!!

I know what you mean, i was imagining all sorts of worse case senarios having read lots of doom and gloom reports about collapsing chains etc.

We put ours on the market beginning October and had a lot of initial interest but no offers and then Christmas was looming and it went really quiet, but renewed interest in January got us an offer and we eventually sold and got a closed chain(5 of us in the chain) but then one of them dropped out so we were left waiting for 2 weeks and now our buyers buyer has agreed to proceed with a bridging loan so only 3 in the chain now.
I suppose at the end of the day it hasn't been too bad and hopefully now we will get a date for exchange and then completion.

You are certainly selling at a good time of year so fingers crossed for you.
My only advice is prepared to be flexible if you want to get to Canada before the visas expire. There is no way we wanted to have to go and land and then return to sell the house or worse still end up with one of us in UK and one of us in Canada as Gaynor had to do, so we took an offer that was lower than we wanted ideally but we hope to make it up on the exchange rate if it remains stable.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Where shall i start.
The house buying/selling lark in the UK sucks!!!

I know what you mean, i was imagining all sorts of worse case senarios having read lots of doom and gloom reports about collapsing chains etc.

We put ours on the market beginning October and had a lot of initial interest but no offers and then Christmas was looming and it went really quiet, but renewed interest in January got us an offer and we eventually sold and got a closed chain(5 of us in the chain) but then one of them dropped out so we were left waiting for 2 weeks and now our buyers buyer has agreed to proceed with a bridging loan so only 3 in the chain now.
I suppose at the end of the day it hasn't been too bad and hopefully now we will get a date for exchange and then completion.

You are certainly selling at a good time of year so fingers crossed for you.
My only advice is prepared to be flexible if you want to get to Canada before the visas expire. There is no way we wanted to have to go and land and then return to sell the house or worse still end up with one of us in UK and one of us in Canada as Gaynor had to do, so we took an offer that was lower than we wanted ideally but we hope to make it up on the exchange rate if it remains stable.
Good luck with your sale - I think you deserve the sale after 6 months!

I'm a Canadian citizen and have sponsored my OH. He landed (and returned) at the end of last year so now has PR (one less thing to worry about!). We didn't put the house on the market earlier as, if we had had a quick sale, we were not in a position to move until early summer. It will probably now be sod's law that we have a very SLOW sale!

Fingers crossed!

Joanne
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your sale - I think you deserve the sale after 6 months!

I'm a Canadian citizen and have sponsored my OH. He landed (and returned) at the end of last year so now has PR (one less thing to worry about!). We didn't put the house on the market earlier as, if we had had a quick sale, we were not in a position to move until early summer. It will probably now be sod's law that we have a very SLOW sale!

Fingers crossed!

Joanne
Oh i see then it's not too bad for you.

I remember thinking the same thing last year, if we sell it too early where will we go what will we do, then again if we leave it till last minute supposing it doesn't sell. Oh yes been there done that worn the T shirt.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Oh i see then it's not too bad for you.

I remember thinking the same thing last year, if we sell it too early where will we go what will we do, then again if we leave it till last minute supposing it doesn't sell. Oh yes been there done that worn the T shirt.
I've just put that T-shirt on, sign went up this morning, we have 2 people viewing this weekend so far, one guy is viewing for the second time but his 'partner' will be with him. I mowed the lawn this morning, that's twice in one week lol. It was twice a month last year.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

We are going to be in the same position - our house is going up for sale next week (unless we manage to sell it privately to a friend of our next door neighbour who is coming round for a look tomorrow, before we put it on the market!) Will be keeping my fingers crossed for all of us in the same boat!!

Lisa
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:42 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Joanne
Our wents up for sale a week or two back. Had three people interested in it right away - one made an offer which we accepted then the sale of their house fell through and the other people who were interested found other places in the meantime. Stressful - you could say. Three other houses in our road has now gone up for sale and they all want to buy ours so as long as one of them sales we're okay! We're off to Vancouver Island too hopefully in May if I'm not in some mental institute by then! :curse:
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gloveman
Our wents up for sale a week or two back. Had three people interested in it right away - one made an offer which we accepted then the sale of their house fell through and the other people who were interested found other places in the meantime. Stressful - you could say. Three other houses in our road has now gone up for sale and they all want to buy ours so as long as one of them sales we're okay! We're off to Vancouver Island too hopefully in May if I'm not in some mental institute by then! :curse:
It's wierd isn't it, we had not had any houses for sale in our neighbourhood for years and then 2 weeks after ours went on sale another 3 in the road also went up and two of them sold instantly.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Steely-m is an unknown quantity at this point

Joanne
Oh applied online for job in alberta Feb 05, they came to UK to interview the whole family March same year, got the job, applied for LMO, this came 14 weeks later so, we put the house on the market.By November no sale, so we put it to auction December, had a buyer who then dropped out! Sold it again in the summer of 06 at a much reduced price, the buyers dropped out August! Lost the will to live and went on holiday to Alberta to cheer us up.Renewed enthusiasm after seeing OH's employer, who incidently renewed the LMO.Put the house back on the market after christmas, sold Feb 5th, now waiting for exchange of contracts.........
I wish you luck and hope your experience is better than ours has been to date.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Ughh, my house is going on the market on Monday, and today i appointed a solicitor.
(one good thing the, the agent wants me to put it up for £5k more than when he vallued it mid-Jan)

I can well imagine this is going to be teh most stressful bit, but for this weekeknd DIY will keep me too busy to fret

Good luck to us all.

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, we're still decorating! Hoping to get it up for sale before the end of April.... we'd planned for March, but didn't quite make it
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My house has been for sale for about 2 weeks now, had 7 viewings and 2 silly offers. We have a couple coming back for a 2nd look with their parents tomorrow morning so that sounds promising.
The thing is with selling a house in England is that making an offer is not legally binding as it is in Scotland. People can still pull out right up until you exchange contracts.

I just hope the exchange rate goes up to $2.35 like it did in Feb
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask any of you............

Have any of you told people viewing that you are emigrating ?????

Gaynor
x
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Can I ask any of you............

Have any of you told people viewing that you are emigrating ?????

Gaynor
x
Yes i did but don't know whether it was a good thing to do or not.
I thought it would let them know we were serious and push the point there was no onward chain, however i did wonder if it might make potential buyers come in with low offers knowing we were on a timescale.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:00 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Yes we did, but for us we are not going until december so we make it clear we are in no rush..............yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.