help I'm new

Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

lou75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face help I'm new

Hi I just registered today, I am looking to start a new life in canada I've just printed the forms & am about to embark on the application process. I did plan just to go over on a temporary basis, & work but gather this is v. hard. I plan to go over next year to start looking around in Vancouver. Any advice on looking for work. I'm thinking toward some sort of supervisor/ass. manager role in retail. Or should I wait until I (hopefully) get there. Really any tips would be great. Just come back from a year in Oz, Can't settle in u.k. Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help I'm new

Love your enthusiasm. Think you have a lot of homework to do! Start with the archive here

Little point IMO trying to land a job before arriving in canada and being legally allowed to work, but you never know. Doubt you will get a supervisor position without previous canadian experience. Jobs here are all about who you know and "networking"

Canada is not the States, but i guess there are similarities. You will really piss a lot of Canadians off if they think you are just here as a second class equivalent to the US!

Good Luck

Iain
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to all

Got to agree with iaink, it can look easier but not always the case.
If you have any emigration questions you can always check out http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 and if you haven't all ready check out CIC web site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 3:39 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lou75
Hi I just registered today, I am looking to start a new life in canada I've just printed the forms & am about to embark on the application process. I did plan just to go over on a temporary basis, & work but gather this is v. hard. I plan to go over next year to start looking around in Vancouver. Any advice on looking for work. I'm thinking toward some sort of supervisor/ass. manager role in retail. Or should I wait until I (hopefully) get there. Really any tips would be great. Just come back from a year in Oz, Can't settle in u.k. Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.

Bunac was sorting out one year work visas ... (at a guess the URL is www.bunac.org)

Good luck

Clare
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=lou75 Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.[/QUOTE]
Agree with iaink

From my experience the bits of canada i've experienced far outrate the east of usa i've visited(quite extensive).

The countries may appear the same, but a mcd's m looks the same globally! The people couldn't be more opposite.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: help I'm new

Originally Posted by iaink
Love your enthusiasm. Think you have a lot of homework to do! Start with the archive here

Little point IMO trying to land a job before arriving in canada and being legally allowed to work, but you never know. Doubt you will get a supervisor position without previous canadian experience. Jobs here are all about who you know and "networking"

Canada is not the States, but i guess there are similarities. You will really piss a lot of Canadians off if they think you are just here as a second class equivalent to the US!

Good Luck

Iain
thanx Iain, I know it'll be tough but I'm gunna give it my best shot, I met alot of canadians whilst travelling last year, but any tips would really help as i'm just starting the application
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Bunac was sorting out one year work visas ... (at a guess the URL is www.bunac.org)

Good luck

Clare
Thanx clare, will I beable to still do that whilst my application for perm. res. is being processed?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: help I'm new

[QUOTE=owen]
Originally Posted by lou75 Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.[/QUOTE
Agree with iaink

From my experience the bits of canada i've experienced far outrate the east of usa i've visited(quite extensive).

The countries may appear the same, but a mcd's m looks the same globally! The people couldn't be more opposite.
Thanx owen, any advice is a great help, I think i'm going to need it!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:49 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Thanx clare, will I beable to still do that whilst my application for perm. res. is being processed?

Yes
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Don't you have to be a student to do Bunac and it's only for one year. Also you can't apply as a skilled worker while at University because you need at least one years fulltime work experience.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 6:49 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I remember when I was just starting my application and contacted several job agencies in British Columbia. That was over a year ago now. They basically told me to wait until I got my PR card and contact them then. Over a year later and I still have not heard anything other than they have accepted my application. - Fill in the form, get on with life where you are and wait, wait, wait.