British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   help I'm new (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/help-im-new-262643/)

lou75 Oct 27th 2004 8:48 pm

help I'm new

:eek: Hi I just registered today, I am looking to start a new life in canada I've just printed the forms & am about to embark on the application process. I did plan just to go over on a temporary basis, & work but gather this is v. hard. I plan to go over next year to start looking around in Vancouver. Any advice on looking for work. I'm thinking toward some sort of supervisor/ass. manager role in retail. Or should I wait until I (hopefully) get there. Really any tips would be great. Just come back from a year in Oz, Can't settle in u.k. Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.

iaink Oct 27th 2004 9:09 pm

Re: help I'm new

Love your enthusiasm. Think you have a lot of homework to do! Start with the archive here:)

Little point IMO trying to land a job before arriving in canada and being legally allowed to work, but you never know. Doubt you will get a supervisor position without previous canadian experience. Jobs here are all about who you know and "networking"

Canada is not the States, but i guess there are similarities. You will really piss a lot of Canadians off if they think you are just here as a second class equivalent to the US!

Good Luck

Iain

hawkeye Oct 28th 2004 1:18 am

Got to agree with iaink, it can look easier but not always the case.
If you have any emigration questions you can always check out http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 and if you haven't all ready check out CIC web site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Hope this helps.

ClareBC Oct 28th 2004 3:39 am

Originally Posted by lou75
:eek: Hi I just registered today, I am looking to start a new life in canada I've just printed the forms & am about to embark on the application process. I did plan just to go over on a temporary basis, & work but gather this is v. hard. I plan to go over next year to start looking around in Vancouver. Any advice on looking for work. I'm thinking toward some sort of supervisor/ass. manager role in retail. Or should I wait until I (hopefully) get there. Really any tips would be great. Just come back from a year in Oz, Can't settle in u.k. Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.

Bunac was sorting out one year work visas ... (at a guess the URL is www.bunac.org)

Good luck

Clare

owen Oct 28th 2004 11:35 am

[QUOTE=lou75 Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.[/QUOTE]
Agree with iaink

From my experience the bits of canada i've experienced far outrate the east of usa i've visited(quite extensive).

The countries may appear the same, but a mcd's m looks the same globally! The people couldn't be more opposite.

lou75 Oct 28th 2004 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Love your enthusiasm. Think you have a lot of homework to do! Start with the archive here:)

Little point IMO trying to land a job before arriving in canada and being legally allowed to work, but you never know. Doubt you will get a supervisor position without previous canadian experience. Jobs here are all about who you know and "networking"

Canada is not the States, but i guess there are similarities. You will really piss a lot of Canadians off if they think you are just here as a second class equivalent to the US!

Good Luck

Iain

thanx Iain, I know it'll be tough but I'm gunna give it my best shot, I met alot of canadians whilst travelling last year, but any tips would really help as i'm just starting the application

lou75 Oct 28th 2004 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Bunac was sorting out one year work visas ... (at a guess the URL is www.bunac.org)

Good luck

Clare

Thanx clare, will I beable to still do that whilst my application for perm. res. is being processed? :rolleyes:

lou75 Oct 28th 2004 5:56 pm

[QUOTE=owen]

Originally Posted by lou75 Love the states, but is too hard to get into. I think/hope i'll love canada.[/QUOTE
Agree with iaink

From my experience the bits of canada i've experienced far outrate the east of usa i've visited(quite extensive).

The countries may appear the same, but a mcd's m looks the same globally! The people couldn't be more opposite.

Thanx owen, any advice is a great help, I think i'm going to need it!

ClareBC Oct 28th 2004 8:49 pm

Thanx clare, will I beable to still do that whilst my application for perm. res. is being processed? :rolleyes:

Yes :)

wizzard Oct 28th 2004 11:15 pm

Don't you have to be a student to do Bunac and it's only for one year. Also you can't apply as a skilled worker while at University because you need at least one years fulltime work experience.

Airseir Oct 31st 2004 6:49 pm

I remember when I was just starting my application and contacted several job agencies in British Columbia. That was over a year ago now. They basically told me to wait until I got my PR card and contact them then. Over a year later and I still have not heard anything other than they have accepted my application. - Fill in the form, get on with life where you are and wait, wait, wait.