Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Newbie on the forum. Saying hello and asking for pointers.

Newbie on the forum. Saying hello and asking for pointers.

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough
Default Newbie on the forum. Saying hello and asking for pointers.

Hello all,

I found this forum whilst researching any information about emigrating to Canada and I believe it can be a very good resource for me & my wife.

As a bit of background; I'm serving in HM Forces, and the wife works locally. My time will soon be up, and we are planning to emigrate to Canada when I retire after my 22 years. (We will both still be under 45) We have visited Toronto and south Ontario, and I've been to Vancouver. (We are planning a short stay in Halifax to see a friend of mine in late 2005)

So, if anyones willing to answer questions, give tips or just mail to chat and pass anything of the slightest possible interest, it would be greatly appreciated as it will give us a better idea of what options are available in such a vast country. (Going from a country you could drive the length of in 13 hours to a country it takes weeks to drive across.)

Anyway, sorry to ramble but we're a little apprehensive joining forums until we find our feet and the established members get to know us.

Best,
Gaz & Paula.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie on the forum. Saying hello and asking for pointers.

Paula & Gaz,

Welcome to this forum. People here are usually rather nice and very willing to help you. If you have any questions about Canada, no matter how silly, there is without a doubt someone around here that can answer them, or at least give you directions so you can find your own answers.
However, questions relating to the paperwork involved with your application, are better asked in the Immigration Forum
And if you have any experiences with Canada, feel free to share them.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi Gaz and Paula
Welcome to the group.You have probably stumbled upon the best expats group on the internet!
Have a read back on a few threads that interest you to get a feel.
You will certainly get a good few opinions on the places you have mentioned.
One word of advice...avoid people who talk in the third person.
Best of luck with all your endeavours.
Mike
(you will love Halifax)
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

HI Gaz and Paula, welcome to the forum. Theres a ton of usefull and not so usefull stuff in the archive here you can search through, and feel free to post any questions (except the dreaded "where should I live" one!). People here are pretty friendly, although we do tend to wander off topic a bit if you hadnt noticed! (could even be called rambelling on....see you fit in already )

Good Luck

Iain
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick replies.

To be honest, I was expecting to wait a while.

I've contacted a couple of immigration solicitors, and am just awaiting their replies.
As for where to settle; We are still looking. We like the GTA, but until we, (or at least the wife) has seen more of the country I can't really say.

I'm going to spend the next day or two searching the forum for any useful snippets of information.

Thanks.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Gaz&Paula
Thanks for the quick replies.

To be honest, I was expecting to wait a while.

I've contacted a couple of immigration solicitors, and am just awaiting their replies.
As for where to settle; We are still looking. We like the GTA, but until we, (or at least the wife) has seen more of the country I can't really say.

I'm going to spend the next day or two searching the forum for any useful snippets of information.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum....the people on the forum are very enthusiastic to sa the least.....so I think you can for the most part expect quick responses....if you don't just whine and complain until someone does hehehe
Old Oct 30th 2004, 1:23 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Welcome to the forum....the people on the forum are very enthusiastic to sa the least.....so I think you can for the most part expect quick responses....if you don't just whine and complain until someone does hehehe
yeah this expat site is pretty addictive so there's always people on... so you should get a quick response to any question posted...

and yes, welcome to the forum!
Old Oct 30th 2004, 1:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome...and ask away

And don't be afraid of the lounge....that's a good place to ramble and get to know the "regulars"
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hi there Gaz and paula
I was down in your neck of the woods this past summer. Great place.
Welcome to our forum and ask away, I am sure you will find someone to answer your questions.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 6:43 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gaz&Paula
Hello all,

I found this forum whilst researching any information about emigrating to Canada and I believe it can be a very good resource for me & my wife.

As a bit of background; I'm serving in HM Forces, and the wife works locally. My time will soon be up, and we are planning to emigrate to Canada when I retire after my 22 years. (We will both still be under 45) We have visited Toronto and south Ontario, and I've been to Vancouver. (We are planning a short stay in Halifax to see a friend of mine in late 2005)

So, if anyones willing to answer questions, give tips or just mail to chat and pass anything of the slightest possible interest, it would be greatly appreciated as it will give us a better idea of what options are available in such a vast country. (Going from a country you could drive the length of in 13 hours to a country it takes weeks to drive across.)

Anyway, sorry to ramble but we're a little apprehensive joining forums until we find our feet and the established members get to know us.

Best,
Gaz & Paula.
I found this forum over a year ago - August 2003 - and since then I visit it at least once a week. I have found that most questions I have have already been asked, so I can simply keep reading and learning. The more I learn from other peoples experiences the less mistakes I will make (or that is what I hope). When I have had a question people have been very helpful and quick with a response as you will have found.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Airseir
I found this forum over a year ago - August 2003 - and since then I visit it at least once a week. I have found that most questions I have have already been asked, so I can simply keep reading and learning. The more I learn from other peoples experiences the less mistakes I will make (or that is what I hope). When I have had a question people have been very helpful and quick with a response as you will have found.
I joined a couple of days ago, and have spent a while perusing the forum.
There is a LOT of useful info out there. But I'd imagine it will take me weeks to trawl through it all.

We would also like to thank everyone for the positive welcome and hints, tips and messages.

Thanks,
G&P.