Hamilton???

Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:49 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hamilton???

Originally Posted by dbd33
Like Milton Keynes? You'll love Burlington and Milton.

My view of the suburban wasteland surrounding Toronto is well known but, even accepting that there are people who are willing to live in Burlington or Milton, I can't see the point in the OP considering such places. The case for such suburbs is, in short, that tolerating the commute to Toronto allows you to have a house with two bathrooms, albeit one in an unattractive housing project. If one is to work in Hamilton then there's no need to commute to Toronto so one has the option to live somewhere attractive, such as the better parts of Hamilton or in a smaller town, Guelph, Fergus, somewhere like that. If what one wants is a poorly constructed piece of tat sandwiched among many other poorly constructed pieces of tat, then Grimsby offers the "features" of Burlington or Milton but at a lower cost; three bathrooms instead of two.
Not all of Burlington is as you describe it. Our house is situated right on the escarpment, in fact we are 3 houses away from the bruce trail.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC15
You demonstrate time and time again that you know sweet f.a. about how the real estate business works in Ontario.
Or perhaps how you'd like it portrayed. I assume you're in the business but choose not to declare the fact.

I don't think I could be more involved in real estate transactions in Ontario than I currently am without being an agent. In which case, of course, I would claim that the TREB has clear rules that all agents can understand and follow and that those agents personally handle their own listings, diligently measuring rooms and representing properties fairly, partly because they hope to build relationships lasting a lifetime but mainly because they are honourable people who have no other sources of income.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 14th 2010 at 4:18 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Not all of Burlington is as you describe it. Our house is situated right on the escarpment, in fact we are 3 houses away from the bruce trail.
Well sure, there's a nice old house in Mississauga, two in Scarborough, but they're not typical of those areas.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:28 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Well sure, there's a nice old house in Mississauga, two in Scarborough, but they're not typical of those areas.

Good to hear there are other nice house's in the GTA
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

My wife spent a few years living in Hamilton and some of her family still live there. She has vowed never to live there again.

Apparently a Canadian newspaper reported that scientists had found that mice exposed to pollutants in Hamilton air became mutated after four generations.

My experience of downtown Hamiton was that it was quite bleak, many prostitutes on street corners, boarded up buildings etc.

My mother in law's house is attached to a house that had a major fire a year ago and is now abandoned She's been mugged twice and there's been many shootings, stabbings and machete attacks in the area.

While visiting we stayed in Stoney Creek (on the Hamilton border) and that seemed OK. The escartment is really impressive, took a nice walk up there (mainly to find out why there was a giant illuminated cross on top).

But hey the first ever Tiim Hortons is in Hamilton so it's not all bad.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:39 am
Just Joined

alex9160 will become famous soon enough

Prostitutes, stabbings and muggings? Sounds like great entertainment.

Believe it or not there are some great neighbourhoods in Hamilton.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

From the Urban Dictionary

"Some areas of Hamilton are nice like Westdale and McMaster University, Hess Street, Dundas and the Dundas Valley, and Ancaster. However, the north end of Hamilton is vile and horrific.
The north end is home to two of Canada's largest steel works (Stelco and Dofasco). The revolting brown, crumbling mass of factories, slag heaps, and smog turns the image of Hamilton into a city that is a shithole that isn't fit for human habitation.
Hamiltonians also have an inferiority complex next to its larger neighbour, Toronto. However, Hamitonians know that by risking higher rates of cancer, deformed children, and the awful eggy-smell due to the steel works, the rent and quality of life is great."
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton looks like a complete shit hole. Why not move to Hull?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Hamilton looks like a complete shit hole. Why not move to Hull?
I once got a speeding ticket on the way to clethorpes, which is quite near Hull. I never went back after that - though I did enjoy a round of crazy golf before my brother went and lost his car keys and we saw some pikey dump a bag full of chips on the esplanade which was then demolished by seagulls in about three seconds.

anyhoo - it does sound awful and I'm glad I don't live there.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 15th 2010 at 4:00 am.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or perhaps how you'd like it portrayed. I assume you're in the business but choose not to declare the fact.

...the TREB ....
TREB, actually, not 'the TREB'.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

An important and pertinent point, I shall note the need to drop the definite article when in Hamilton.

Since this is now the thread for all matters real estate, here's an approach to a deal, new to me, that may help someone else. I received an offer on a property in which it's proposed that the buyer pays the agent's fees, the cost of the house to be reduced by an equivalent amount (ok the seller is still paying really but in a different manner). I like this because for the buyer it reduces the amount subject to Land Transfer Tax and that may make a deal that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Every day a new wrinkle.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

I think I was too quick in conceding that point. My usage, sarcastic, of course, was

"I would claim that the TREB has clear rules"

The TREB board's site

(http://www.torontorealestateboard.co.../faq/index.htm)

has the following:

"The Toronto Real Estate Board is restricted to handling concerns relating to the Multiple"

"The Toronto Real Estate Board issues news releases twice a month"

"TREB is unable to recommend a particular REALTOR"

That is, the definite article is dropped when the abbreviation is used. I don't think this is customary in English. One might right, "the RAC decries speed cameras" or "the NHS offers a superior service". I suggest that the usage on the real estate board's site is either an advertising affectation or a simple case of illiteracy on the part of the writer. In either case I see no need to adopt it.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

An important and pertinent point, I shall note the need to drop the definite article when in Hamilton.

Since this is now the thread for all matters real estate, here's an approach to a deal, new to me, that may help someone else. I received an offer on a property in which it's proposed that the buyer pays the agent's fees, the cost of the house to be reduced by an equivalent amount (ok the seller is still paying really but in a different manner). I like this because for the buyer it reduces the amount subject to Land Transfer Tax and that may make a deal that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Every day a new wrinkle.
Another loophole for McGuinty and his cronies to plug.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was too quick in conceding that point. My usage, sarcastic, of course, was

"I would claim that the TREB has clear rules"

The TREB board's site

(http://www.torontorealestateboard.co.../faq/index.htm)

has the following:

"The Toronto Real Estate Board is restricted to handling concerns relating to the Multiple"

"The Toronto Real Estate Board issues news releases twice a month"

"TREB is unable to recommend a particular REALTOR"

That is, the definite article is dropped when the abbreviation is used. I don't think this is customary in English. One might right, "the RAC decries speed cameras" or "the NHS offers a superior service". I suggest that the usage on the real estate board's site is either an advertising affectation or a simple case of illiteracy on the part of the writer. In either case I see no need to adopt it.
You were doing so well until then...........
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
You were doing so well until then...........
Gasp! I kill myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.