Reload this Page >

Great Black Wasp

Great Black Wasp

Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:30 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Great Black Wasp

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
I have wasp nest right at the front of my house. It's in the ground at the root of tree. It is like Piccadilly circus outside. I away use the back door...I found out a few days ago when I was mowing the lawn....

They are not the worst. The worst are black flies, lucky for me they are up north.
er, where are you then? cos we get blackflies here
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
er, where are you then? cos we get blackflies here
I live in Toronto. You're in Peterborough I never thought you get them Eastern Ontario. I live in Kingston I never sore them and that's further east AND Your only what 20 minutes north from the 401 and hour and bit from TO.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Definitely interchangeable in Ontario. You rarely hear of a bee unless they say "honey bee".

It really annoys me.....
i've heard the wasp/bee thing and yes it irks me, too.... but some Canadians know the difference. They call wasps = Hornets, but i always thought a hornet was a biggger bugger that didn't sting.

They're very confused out here. All i can say is i'm glad we don't get ASIAN GIANT HORNETS.

Wasps are my new best friend because they eat MOSQUITOES and we have had a sh*t load of those this year...
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
i've heard the wasp/bee thing and yes it irks me, too.... but some Canadians know the difference. They call wasps = Hornets, but i always thought a hornet was a biggger bugger that didn't sting.

They're very confused out here. All i can say is i'm glad we don't get ASIAN GIANT HORNETS.

Wasps are my new best friend because they eat MOSQUITOES and we have had a sh*t load of those this year...
I've just Googled that...and they are big approx 2" long. The Cicada Killer Wasp that flew into my kitchen wasn't much smaller...they are 1 3/4" long. I wonder if they ever find their way up to Canada.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've just Googled that...and they are big approx 2" long. The Cicada Killer Wasp that flew into my kitchen wasn't much smaller...they are 1 3/4" long. I wonder if they ever find their way up to Canada.
When we stayed in Chiang Mai a hornet flew into our room - no idea what type it was, but it was around 2" long. I killed it with bug spray, took ages as the damn thing just wouldn't die.... seemed like I dumped half the can on it before it finally stopped twitching.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
When we stayed in Chiang Mai a hornet flew into our room - no idea what type it was, but it was around 2" long. I killed it with bug spray, took ages as the damn thing just wouldn't die.... seemed like I dumped half the can on it before it finally stopped twitching.
Yeah the Cicada Killer was like that <<<<shiver>>>>.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the Cicada Killer was like that <<<<shiver>>>>.
Yeah, normally I'd just try and bat wasps and the like out of the window. But I wasn't risking that - nasty looking thing it was.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah, normally I'd just try and bat wasps and the like out of the window. But I wasn't risking that - nasty looking thing it was.
Another bug that freaks me out (well they all do really ) is praying mantis. They are huge...about 6" long...I hate the way they can rotate their head. One landed on my head when I was sunbathing on the deck...a smallish one around 3" long...I've never got over the shock.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:44 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Another bug that freaks me out (well they all do really ) is praying mantis. They are huge...about 6" long...I hate the way they can rotate their head. One landed on my head when I was sunbathing on the deck...a smallish one around 3" long...I've never got over the shock.
They can fly??
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by G77
They can fly??
Yes but I can't say I've ever seen one fly. I felt something on my head and thought it was probably a wasp...shook my head but didn't see anything fly away. So I bent my head forward and ruffled my hair and this bright green thing dropped on the floor and walked away slowly.

You can by their egg cases...they contain hundreds of eggs.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

JG, are you hinting that you don't like bugs?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bill_S
JG, are you hinting that you don't like bugs?
Or reptiles.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:16 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Or reptiles.
Australia must be high on your emigration list then
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by G77
Australia must be high on your emigration list then
and Florida.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know what these are? The yellow ones are huge! They came last year... I am not joking one must have been 6" from head to tail... the blacker ones were here this year, smaller, up to about 3". They all drilled holes in trees with that long black thing (not stingers thank f!). Some of them leave their back ends behind... or just die after they've laid eggs. Weird!
Attached Thumbnails Great Black Wasp-bugs-1.jpg   Great Black Wasp-bugs-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.