Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Great Black Wasp

Great Black Wasp

Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:28 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great Black Wasp

Anyone else get these in their garden?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pieceoflace/2805662766/

Scare the bejesus out of me - supposedly none aggressive, but you could have fooled me, they get really angry if you get too close to them! Found one dead in the pool skimmer basket the other day and it's stinger was huge, never seen anything like it

Not my pic btw, too scared to get close to them!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:36 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Black Wasp

Originally Posted by G77
Anyone else get these in their garden?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pieceoflace/2805662766/

Scare the bejesus out of me - supposedly none aggressive, but you could have fooled me, they get really angry if you get too close to them! Found one dead in the pool skimmer basket the other day and it's stinger was huge, never seen anything like it

Not my pic btw, too scared to get close to them!
I don't want to move to Ontario now....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
I've never seen so many different wasps as there is here - most of them leave you alone though, but these things are scary

Roll on winter - may they freeze to death
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to say no! Been a crazy year for wasps though. Our Oriole feeder is covered in big black and white ones...not seen an Oriole in weeks either.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They are very dangerous, especially for the old or young.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:01 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Glad to say no! Been a crazy year for wasps though. Our Oriole feeder is covered in big black and white ones...not seen an Oriole in weeks either.
I believe they're bald faced hornets (which aren't actually hornets ), seen a couple of those, but they seem to mind their own business...
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:26 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

G77 you're doing a good job of putting my off the area I hate bugs!!

I am looking fwd to those wire mesh things in between the patio doors and windows though to stop them coming into the house
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:33 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They are very dangerous, especially for the old or young.
Are you serious? I'm hardly young but not quite elderly yet, but I am allergic to wasp stings!,....

please, please, please tell me you're kidding!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by manningl
G77 you're doing a good job of putting my off the area I hate bugs!!

I am looking fwd to those wire mesh things in between the patio doors and windows though to stop them coming into the house
I hate them too and there's LOTS of bugs here... Fortunately they don't make it inside, as we keep the doors closed and the AC cranked up
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Down here in New Jersey we get a large black/dark brown wasp...doesn't have pretty blue wings though.

Had a Cicada Killer Wasp in the kitchen a couple of years ago...or at least I think that's what it was. It was about 1 1/2" long.

Do you get Carpenter Bees in Canada? Huge bees that hover about 6" from your face.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:53 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

Originally Posted by G77
I hate them too and there's LOTS of bugs here... Fortunately they don't make it inside, as we keep the doors closed and the AC cranked up
I normally get bitten by everything during summers in Ontario except Horseflies....(thats a brusey bonus for me)....but wasps are something else!

You scary the crap out of me with your bug alerts...I'll have to try and ignore them from now on!!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I normally get bitten by everything during summers in Ontario except Horseflies....(thats a brusey bonus for me)....but wasps are something else!

You scary the crap out of me with your bug alerts...I'll have to try and ignore them from now on!!
Horse flies/deer flies love to bite me...along with just about every other biting or stinging bug. You can feel them biting and the bite lasts for months...I hate them.

Wasps are always attracted to me...they'll follow me as I try to walk away from them and not bother with anyone else.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:07 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Horse flies/deer flies love to bite me...along with just about every other biting or stinging bug. You can feel them biting and the bite lasts for months...I hate them.

Wasps are always attracted to me...they'll follow me as I try to walk away from them and not bother with anyone else.
They just lurve you... Ants and another thing that bite me

I'm so glad those horseflies don't bother me, they dive bomb my OH...omg, they take lumps out of him.

All this talk of bugs isn't helping me with my move over....I hope you lot know that!!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

brummi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

That made me smile.. I could have written the same thing about myself! I'm allergic to Mosquitoe bites and have been on Penicillin for that. Roll on Winter!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:25 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I remember those being quite common while growing up in Ontario. They look pretty scary but I never got stung or bit by one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.